Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:06 AM

69 posts, read 233,019 times

Advertisements

Exactly, what the question says. We all know that sub is the follow the lesson plans left by a teacher for the day/s in which he/she is abesnt, and left a note of what exactly happened. But, what extra things could a sub do that will leave a GOOD inpression with a teacher? Another thing, what exactly gives a sub teacher a bad impression with not only the teacher which you subbing for but also the other teachers in the same hall that teach the same grade? Another thing, does anyone does have any helpful tips for subs? It's always good to hear helpful information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,269,794 times
I'd say someone who can keep the kids on track...in addition to keeping them out of trouble for the day would be excellent.

If you returned to a room that had been destroyed by fire/flood/rodents....well....maybe the sub shouldn't be invited back.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Somoone who cares. Many subs see the job as babysitting. They just sit and read a book.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:38 AM

Coldjensens, are you saying that a lot of subs are kinda lazy and pretty much sit on their butt the whole day? (No offense taken if you did because I know I don't that anyway.)

Old 09-15-2009, 03:36 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADshock81 View Post
Exactly, what the question says. We all know that sub is the follow the lesson plans left by a teacher for the day/s in which he/she is abesnt, and left a note of what exactly happened. But, what extra things could a sub do that will leave a GOOD inpression with a teacher? Another thing, what exactly gives a sub teacher a bad impression with not only the teacher which you subbing for but also the other teachers in the same hall that teach the same grade? Another thing, does anyone does have any helpful tips for subs? It's always good to hear helpful information.
I have one sub who passes back papers for me. It's the one thing I just never seem to get to and the pile just grows. About the middle of October, I'll take a day off and request him .

Old 09-16-2009, 12:51 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,668 times
Offer to correct those stacks of papers. Follow not only the classroom rules, but the school rules as well. A substitute is a replacement for the teacher so be involved with the class. Try to get to know the kids (if you will be subbing in that school alot). You are not there to be the "buddy", you are there to teach students. Being a substitute is very rewarding. You are not "strapped" into one class, you can experience all the classes. If you feel like you are doing nothing more than babysitting, then that's what you are doing. I make it a point to stay out of the teachers chair as much as possible and walk around the room. The students will appreciate it.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,837 times
Usually subs are hard to find... the only requirements seem to be a warm body in the room, somebody who will not allow the kids to kill each other, and keep damage to the classrooms to a minimum. Trying to be a bit humorous, but there is a lot of truth to that.

We have substitute teachers who actually sleep during classes, and still get called regularly to work.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:21 PM

^^^^^ Are you serious? How lazy can you get? Good Grief. So let me ask, how much information about the sub does your students share with you when you get back?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:27 PM

249 posts, read 754,095 times
I don't expect a sub to run things the way I do, but I hope that they at least follow the plans I leave and make sure that they have control. I had one lady sub for my class last year and she let the kids turn on a not so appropriate radio station and dance She was never back after that.

Good subs? They leave the work organized, clean up or better yet, have the kids clean up at the end of the day and leave a note about how the day went. There's nothing worse than coming back to school after being sick and having kids tell you 20 different stories about who was causing trouble, who did this and that. Some subs will write a note and say that the class was great and the kids tell a very different story.

The worst one I ever had cursed out my students and told them that they would be nothing in life if they acted the way they did.

The best one actually taught the material I left (proof on the board when I returned) instead of giving it to the kids to do themselves.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:43 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADshock81 View Post
^^^^^ Are you serious? How lazy can you get? Good Grief. So let me ask, how much information about the sub does your students share with you when you get back?
I've never had the guy sub for me, but I've heard people talking about him... and I know it's the truth because one day I walked into a room where the sub was, and he was asleep...I just turned around and left, didn't bother waking him up.

Of course one popular sub activity is to surf the 'net...I did have one sub for me before and my computer was full of myspace, facebook, ebay, and job search sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching