Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,377 times

Advertisements

Ok...I currently teach in an adjunct capacity at a small liberal arts college. I have a masters degree in education and two years of teaching experience. I am looking to get credentialed in the state of CA.

Would someone, please, "walk" me through the steps that I would need to take in order to get in the classroom?

I have been told that since I have been in the classroom already I will not need to student teach. Is this true?

I believe I need to pass a basic skills test(CBEST) and show proficiency in my subject area by testing in a certain subject(CSET). Is this true?

Even the websites that people are currenlty using have been confusing at times, so any help here is much appreciated.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 08:43 PM

174 posts, read 516,676 times
As a long term substitute, you need only pass the CBEST and have your BA. Credentials are connected to Universities and these institutions have different requirements. LA Unified has a district intern program. Ten years ago it was fairly simple to get through that program. NOW, it's a ridiculous waste of time with numerous meaningless hoops to jump through.

Most teacher prep programs are silly exercises in tasks that have little to do with actual instruction - like an endurance program, mental torture. My summary statement of teacher preparation programs would be, "Whatever isn't already common sense is usually nonsense."
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching