Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:08 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,753,626 times

Advertisements

Do you care about straight A's or A's in general? Are you looking for progress? Good habits? I'm curious because several of my mom friends seem really worried about anything below an A on the report card. On the one hand, our school's curriculum is a little weak, IMO, but the grading scale is high - the 93-85-78-70 model. I'm wondering how you determine if your child is doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,258,266 times
I am not an educator, nor do I have kids, but I just thought of something: many teachers on here say to blame the parents, or at least take some of the responsibility off the teachers, for the lack of academic success in the school children. So, who is to blame when you are the parent and the teacher?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:25 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,932,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am not an educator, nor do I have kids, but I just thought of something: many teachers on here say to blame the parents, or at least take some of the responsibility off the teachers, for the lack of academic success in the school children. So, who is to blame when you are the parent and the teacher?
Parents and teachers each have their own role in educating students. The student also shares responsibility for his own education. There is no one person to blame when a child is struggling. I can give you my own examples of cases where:

1. there really is nobody to blame, the child finds the subject difficult

Child #2 is in 8th grade taking Algebra I. He has been struggling with Algebra all semester. He does his work. He is being tutored by his older brother and by myself. He is struggling to get a C+ but I am satisfied with his progress in this class AT THIS POINT as he had an F and has improved his grade to a C+.

AND

2. the same child has a B+ in Civics but I am furious at him.

The same child has a B+ in Civics. I am not satisfied with the B+ because he has not handed everything in and he has high As on all of his tests. I am angry with him about "forgetting" assignments. He still manages an ok grade because he gets really good grades on the tests but he should have an A in that class. In this case it is HIS FAULT that he does not have an A, not mine, not his teacher's. No teacher is going to call a parent about a kid who has a B+ in a class.

The grade itself does not tell you everything you need to know about a child's progress. You have to know WHY he has the grade he has.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,989,247 times
I homeschool my own children, but I'm not concerned with letter (or number) grades... my biggest concern is that they master the work that they have done. A 90% on a math test, for example, is an A... but depending on what they got wrong, it may be that they did not understand a full ten percent of the work. (Simple arithmetic/careless mistakes are one issue; not understanding how to come up with an answer for a particular type of problem is a separate issue.) I would then go back and work with the child on whatever the problem was, rather than filing it away and saying "great, he got an A!" I would do the same if they were in school... find out the reason for the grade, and go from there.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,389,453 times
I care more about conduct, attitude about learning, and understanding of the content then I do the actual grade. An "A" for one teacher could be a "C" to another for the same class. Some of the classes that I got the most out of were ones where I worked my butt off for a "B" - more so than the ones where I easily got an "A".

Old 12-16-2009, 11:02 AM

917 posts, read 2,950,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Parents and teachers each have their own role in educating students. The student also shares responsibility for his own education. There is no one person to blame when a child is struggling. I can give you my own examples of cases where:

1. there really is nobody to blame, the child finds the subject difficult

Child #2 is in 8th grade taking Algebra I. He has been struggling with Algebra all semester. He does his work. He is being tutored by his older brother and by myself. He is struggling to get a C+ but I am satisfied with his progress in this class AT THIS POINT as he had an F and has improved his grade to a C+.

AND

2. the same child has a B+ in Civics but I am furious at him.

The same child has a B+ in Civics. I am not satisfied with the B+ because he has not handed everything in and he has high As on all of his tests. I am angry with him about "forgetting" assignments. He still manages an ok grade because he gets really good grades on the tests but he should have an A in that class. In this case it is HIS FAULT that he does not have an A, not mine, not his teacher's. No teacher is going to call a parent about a kid who has a B+ in a class.

The grade itself does not tell you everything you need to know about a child's progress. You have to know WHY he has the grade he has.
I wish more parents thought like that (several of my good friends are teachers and tell horror stories of pushy parents). Of course, when you are a smart kid coasting on B's, it will drive you crazy that you are doing better than most with little work but your parents still want more. In then end, I'm glad my parents pushed for my best, but I wonder if they would have recognized the difference if I had truly struggled.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:21 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,621,696 times
This isn't a one answer fits all, as demonstrated by the previous examples. Letter grades should always be used as one factor in determining a students success, not the only one. Conduct grades and work habits are things that are begun long before school begins and each of my 4 have walked into school with the understanding that momentary bits of problems was fine, but ongoing problems were not and never would be acceptable. I've never had an issue. Two are grown and now teachers themselves. the next is in 6th and the last is in 1st. So, two down two to go. haha

Regarding grades......
My oldest was an average student, so her success was based on perceived growth and progress, not necessarily letter grades. That important information came from mainly conferences and discussions with her as the weeks went on.

My second was advanced and her letter grades basically told me whether or not she was handing in work and making an effort on tests. If she would have ever fallen below a B (which I think she only got a couple her entire school career) I would have known instantly there was a major problem that needed to be addressed. I knew she was progressing and learning by the classes she began to take starting in middle school that were more challenging. Had she chosen to take regular classes, I might have had a problem.

My third is advanced and gifted and letter grades for her take on a mixture of importance. If she were to get a B, I'd know she most likely hadn't done her work but it could be she simply didn't get the subject matter the way it was presented. So it would be a clue to get a little more involved. The flip side is if she gets a low A, then I know she's actually faced something new and challenging in class.

My last is also advanced and even more gifted and his letter grades only mean that he has turned in all the work. They mean absolutely nothing in regards to his growth. Our approach has to be quite different in his education with his teacher and us working closely together. While he still has the normal 1st grade work in order to acquire grades, he gets challenges to meet his individual academic needs separately.

You have to know your child well in order to know how to look at grades, conduct etc.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:52 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,753,626 times
hmmm...my son is in the advanced class- he has some gifted qualities, but he seems to be struggling with organization and focus this year. This last month or so he's been better about turning everything in (organization) but I suspect he's still slap-dashing a lot of his work together and making foolish errors. He's getting almost all B's. I would expect more of an A/B mix from him, but I'm wondering if some of this is adjusting to middle school and I should be patient, or if he's legitimately not mastering certain concepts.

I tend to limit my conversations with the teachers to a few substantial instances- they are a mixed bag in terms of their commitment to the students, shall we say. A couple have been really responsive - the others are just glad he's not a troublemaker.

I guess I'm trying to find out if people who understand education think A's are simply the grade equivalent of mastery of the subject, or more of a metric for good studenthood. Don't know if this makes sense.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 PM

22 posts, read 38,923 times
I'm a parent and a teacher, and I tell my kids the same thing I tell my students: If you can look at yourself and say you did the very best you could do, I have no complaints, and neither should you.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:50 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,294,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
Do you care about straight A's or A's in general? Are you looking for progress? Good habits? I'm curious because several of my mom friends seem really worried about anything below an A on the report card. On the one hand, our school's curriculum is a little weak, IMO, but the grading scale is high - the 93-85-78-70 model. I'm wondering how you determine if your child is doing well.
I do not look at grades, but rather at comments and the portfolio of their work. If the latter are strong, then grades have a way of taking care of themselves. From a different POV, great grades can be awfully misleading, esp when kids are young.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching