Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:49 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,766,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Exactly. Especially with students with disabilities, it has nothing to do with their ability to learn or acquire the lang but with how it is presented to them.
That really is heartening to hear that you had a positive response from AS students; I will keep it in mind the next time I have a student with AS.
Plus, StarlaJane, I have to add, we have a 2-way immersion program with half the children being native Spanish-speaking learning English. As I'm sure you as a Spanish teacher can appreciate, that makes all the difference in the world to be surrounded by native speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 02:01 PM

5,017 posts, read 10,728,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Plus, StarlaJane, I have to add, we have a 2-way immersion program with half the children being native Spanish-speaking learning English. As I'm sure you as a Spanish teacher can appreciate, that makes all the difference in the world to be surrounded by native speakers.
Absolutely. I live in FL., where many of the [best] language programs are 2-way immersion. Unfortunately, as a non-native speaker, I won't ever get a chance to teach in such a program
But I love knowing that AS students benefit from being in a class that is taught in Spanish, primarily b/c it provides a possibility for students who might otherwise be excluded from lang programs. It also prevents frustrations on the part of the teacher and the AS student by illustrating that these students can learn a foreign lang with the right approach.
Thanks for your input

Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,098,174 times
I just wanted to add this will start in Grade 7 not now (he is now in 6th).
I plan to work with him over the summer and get him some good foundation. I just emailed his caseworker so I am sure she will give me **** about it.

We're prepared to fight the school on this. I will also supplement his teaching at home like I do now for his other classes.

I want him exposed to foreign languages early. We can worry about grades later.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,045,430 times
I am a HS special ed teacher and would always recommend foreign languages if for nothing else, socialization. No one says that he must be there for a passing grade. Part of his adaptations should say that mastery level is based on whatever standards you set as a team. You are making a modification to his general ed. curriculum. That is called an IEP. If there is nothing to modify, there is no need for the IEP! He/should know this as I am sure you do.

No one can predict how he will do and he might love it, especially if there is a big oral/auditory component. Why would his teacher not allow his to experience that. Sounds ridiculous.

I had a mom tell me her son "can't do geometry". I asked her why she he couldn't and she said that he can't do algebra so he can't and won't do geometry. So frustrating.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:29 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,458,910 times
I honestly believe that in order to really learn a language that only so much can be taught in the classroom. It helps to converse with someone regularly who knows the language and if its possible to immerse yourself in that country so you can be around people who speak the language and you so you can learn the culture as well. There are some summer programs where people can go overseas and learn a language.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,955,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
I honestly believe that in order to really learn a language that only so much can be taught in the classroom. It helps to converse with someone regularly who knows the language and if its possible to immerse yourself in that country so you can be around people who speak the language and you so you can learn the culture as well. There are some summer programs where people can go overseas and learn a language.
If you do a Modern Languages degree in the UK then a year at an overseas University - in a country that speaks the language you are studying - is required. One of the objectives, of course, is to get the spoken language skills up to fluency level. I am a great believer in immersion and the younger the better.

We have friends whose son has learning difficulties. But he spent a summer near Dijon with a family and did very well in picking up French.

Old 02-06-2021, 02:50 PM

433 posts, read 534,537 times
As a person who has been formally "exposed" to half a dozen languages, I can appreciate all the comments from the different posters. I would like to point out that there is a WEALTH of videos, computer programs, etc. available through the internet.
I especially like the TED Talks---
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...guage+ted+talk

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...arning+methods

Old 04-13-2021, 07:08 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,837,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My son has mild AS syndrome but is quite intelligent, on the honor roll in grade 6. Next year he has the chance to take a foreign language which I really want him to do, but his special ed. facilitator is trying to say he is not ready for this for various reasons...(I totally disagree)..
Is it you or your son who wants this? I think if your son is fully on board with learning Spanish then full steam ahead because when a child is motivated, then they can accomplish anything but when a parent or teacher is pushing them then it may not work so well. Ask me how I know....

Old 04-13-2021, 11:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Is it you or your son who wants this? I think if your son is fully on board with learning Spanish then full steam ahead because when a child is motivated, then they can accomplish anything but when a parent or teacher is pushing them then it may not work so well. Ask me how I know....
That post is now 11 years old and the child is likely in his 20s by now. Hopefully he learned spanish!

Old 04-14-2021, 08:43 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,837,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That post is now 11 years old and the child is likely in his 20s by now. Hopefully he learned spanish!
lol I usually look but sometimes forget. However I think that many times our answers are valuable anyway because many people may have the same question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching