U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:44 AM

8 posts, read 41,716 times

Advertisements

I recently went to Tennessee for vacationing and I just loved all the wonderful people I met and beautiful attractions. But man, we seen so many little dogs on the sides of the road killed (9 total), it was heartbreaking. A lot of them still had leashes on and were in the mountains, so I highly doubt they all could have just ran away. I almost wanted to move to TN until I seen that. I'm sure there are mean people all over the country who do crazy things like this. And by no means do I intend to stereotype, but TN was the worst I've ever seen. Are there many people who just can't stand dogs in TN?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 AM

32,668 posts, read 27,668,401 times
I have lived here over 40 years and have never seen a dead dog on the side of the road with a leash attached. I have seen many dead animals on the road, most often if it is a dog it has been dumped (no collar or leash) or a run away. Most probably if the dogs you saw were in the mountains (tourist areas) and had a leash on, they had gotten away from their owners on vacation and were hit by motorists.

Why would you assume there are mean dog serial killers roaming the mountains of TN?
Are you sure they were even dogs and not opossums, skunks, or raccoons?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,107,133 times
I have never seen this either. Where were travelling in TN that you saw this?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:57 AM

22,583 posts, read 52,046,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny0078 View Post
Are there many people who just can't stand dogs in TN?
Yes. We hate dogs. Ask my Harvey. He's in the front yard with a sign, picketing in protest, right now. It reads: "My mommy, daddy and litttle girl hate me!"

I'm sorry. I just had to do it.

I've been here five years and never saw a dead dog on the side of the road. Saw it a couple of times in Mass. I don't think I saw it in the 10 years I lived in FL.

And with a leash is rather bizarre. Never saw that anywhere. What does that mean? Someone was walking them and they ran away? The owner let go of the leash and told the dog to go play in traffic? And then the dog that they loved enough to take for a walk suddenly just abandons its dead body?

That dog don't hunt.

Is it April first?

Last edited by hiknapster; 06-21-2010 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Added "for"

Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,179,201 times
I've been here 5 years and I never saw dead dogs on the side of the road. When I lived in Dandridge, I had plenty strays show up at my door and they all somehow had run away. It happens to the best pet owners. My Petie the Pomeranian is the most spoiled loved little dog. But he gets out and runs away sometimes.
I think it is a huge leap to assume the whole state is not dog friendly because of a few things you saw. You don't know the circumstances that led up to any dogs death.2 Mares has a valid point, they just may have been tourists dogs if they had leashes. Any Tenneeseans I know that are dog owners seem pretty responsible to me. I just find what you wrote about hard to believe.
Pam

Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 AM

8 posts, read 41,716 times
Nope I'm positive they were all dogs. I don't think many people would have a leash on a raccoon. A few of them were around the Memphis area. But most were In the mountains right before we entered Knoxville. I was just very sad about what I seen, didn't mean to offend anybody... I'm such a big dog lover, don't know what I'd do without my black lab- Sophie. A few of them could have gotten loose you're right. But I highly doubt they all had. And 9 dogs sure doesn't sound like a few to me.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:25 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,527,150 times
I bike frequently in the countryside of NE Tennessee and many folks allow their dogs to roam freely; I encounter them all the time on remote backroads and even busy roads. This is also true in SW Virginia and north Georgia, so it's not just a Tennessee thing.

On my commute from Kingsport to Bristol, I see a dead dog on the highway about once a month. I've never seen one with a leash still attached but many do have collars.

But it's not as if people are purposely running down dogs on our roads out of pure meanness. I frequently see drivers slow down and steer away from or even stop for a dog walking in the road.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:18 AM

4,925 posts, read 10,754,523 times
That is weird...9 dogs with leashes dead on the side of the road. Apparently it's a state-wide problem--Memphis-to-Knoxville that will require the full effort of PETA to investigate.

Never saw that here, nor can I remember seeing that...any where.

Jenny0078, you may have the sharpest eyes around!

Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 PM

32,668 posts, read 27,668,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
That is weird...9 dogs with leashes dead on the side of the road. Apparently it's a state-wide problem--Memphis-to-Knoxville that will require the full effort of PETA to investigate.

Never saw that here, nor can I remember seeing that...any where.

Jenny0078, you may have the sharpest eyes around!
If people think Tennesseans cant stand dogs, they must think we really hate opossums, skunks and deer.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:22 PM

22,583 posts, read 52,046,384 times
I'm sorry, Jenny. I didn't mean to pick on you. I love to joke.

If a dog was run down, I am of course very sorry. I LOVE dogs. Ask Pam's Petie the Pomeranian (say that five times fast!). Him and I are buds.

It seemed sort of silly to ask if an entire state of people hated dogs and were purposely running them down. I really thought you HAD to be kidding.

Sorry, sweetpea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee