U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-19-2007, 06:38 PM
 
Location: wi
4 posts, read 11,138 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Johnson City was on our short list of retirement destinations. Last week I saw a report on Sperling's Best Places ranking JC #7 nationwide for migraine headaches. We spent 18 years in Cincinnati which Sperling rated #1 for migraines and my wife suffered from headaches for most of those years. We moved to the Milwaukee area (#18) 4 years ago and she's been relatively headache free.
JC has everything we are looking for but the thought of moving up that list and her going through the headaches again makes it not worth it.
Does anyone have any personal information pro or con about migraines in the Tri Cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Central Florida
255 posts, read 689,756 times
Reputation: 103
Lightbulb Migranes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry2037 View Post
Johnson City was on our short list of retirement destinations. Last week I saw a report on Sperling's Best Places ranking JC #7 nationwide for migraine headaches. We spent 18 years in Cincinnati which Sperling rated #1 for migraines and my wife suffered from headaches for most of those years. We moved to the Milwaukee area (#18) 4 years ago and she's been relatively headache free.
JC has everything we are looking for but the thought of moving up that list and her going through the headaches again makes it not worth it.
Does anyone have any personal information pro or con about migraines in the Tri Cities?
Hi there,
Have you looked into taking Magnesium for migranes? My son suffers terrible from them and he is only 11, he also has a congenital heart defect which complicates things but we give him magnesium and something for sinus' and he feels better very quickly and doesn't get return ones for some time after. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 PM
 
15,646 posts, read 28,556,807 times
Reputation: 19390
Thanks for the tip Mia. I had been given Topamax to ward off migraines, and when they do attack I take Imitrex with great success. I tried other medications, Maxalt, etc., but they don't work as well for me. Can you share more info on Magnesium? Dosage, etc. Thank you kindly in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2007, 06:58 AM
 
Location: mid wyoming
2,008 posts, read 6,220,199 times
Reputation: 1884
I am going on three and a half years here. I have a constant leak and itch that can't be stopped in my right ear. It will wake me up at night! I have used more headache medicine here than my whole life, and I have lived in 11 other states and worked all over the world.
I am told the headaches and ear are due to allergies. The doctors said it was a common thing in here.And basically get used to it. I do get some days to weeks without them, but they always come back. Anytime of the year.
Now my wife also has them. And she grew up in Portland, TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2007, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
796 posts, read 2,604,525 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Thanks for the tip Mia. I had been given Topamax to ward off migraines, and when they do attack I take Imitrex with great success. I tried other medications, Maxalt, etc., but they don't work as well for me. Can you share more info on Magnesium? Dosage, etc. Thank you kindly in advance.
You can get magnesium in your local Walmart, but for the quality, you'd be better to get it in a good health food store. The dosage is on the bottle, 1 per day. I take it also for my migraines. And yes, it helps to prevent them. I used to get them every month, and would be down for at least a day. Since taking the magnesium, I have one maybe every 6 months or so.

blessings, Shen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2007, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
255 posts, read 689,756 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Thanks for the tip Mia. I had been given Topamax to ward off migraines, and when they do attack I take Imitrex with great success. I tried other medications, Maxalt, etc., but they don't work as well for me. Can you share more info on Magnesium? Dosage, etc. Thank you kindly in advance.
I go to my local Organic Health Food store here in Florida and get the magnesium because it is not loaded with additives such as the stuff found in department stores. It is not even more expensive, it just works better.
We use one half a tablet a day usually in the morning when my son is expecting a migrane and the dosage is 250 mg on the bottle I have but he is only 11 so an adult can take the whole tablet. It also helps if you are trying to lose weight along with calcium tablets, however your body can only use 500 mg of calcium at a time so anything over is just wasted.
Hope it helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2007, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
255 posts, read 689,756 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I am going on three and a half years here. I have a constant leak and itch that can't be stopped in my right ear. It will wake me up at night! I have used more headache medicine here than my whole life, and I have lived in 11 other states and worked all over the world.
I am told the headaches and ear are due to allergies. The doctors said it was a common thing in here.And basically get used to it. I do get some days to weeks without them, but they always come back. Anytime of the year.
Now my wife also has them. And she grew up in Portland, TN.
Hi shadow walker,
Have you looked into Colloidal silver to put into your ear for your problem? It is safe enough to put 4 drops in your ear and keep your head tilted toward the ceiling for 3 minutes for relief. For allergies try taking either 1 tsp 3 times a day during allergy season or you can also try Fenugreek tablets that you get also from your natural or organic food store. I know from experience that both work well for us. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2007, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
35,568 posts, read 35,232,568 times
Reputation: 54353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry2037 View Post
Johnson City was on our short list of retirement destinations. Last week I saw a report on Sperling's Best Places ranking JC #7 nationwide for migraine headaches. We spent 18 years in Cincinnati which Sperling rated #1 for migraines and my wife suffered from headaches for most of those years. We moved to the Milwaukee area (#18) 4 years ago and she's been relatively headache free.
JC has everything we are looking for but the thought of moving up that list and her going through the headaches again makes it not worth it.
Does anyone have any personal information pro or con about migraines in the Tri Cities?
I have indoor allergies and I get sinus headaches and congested from being indoors with air conditioning/blowers. I had a bad one last week for two days. I actually feel better, headache-wise, when I go outside or stand in a hot shower (steam). My best times of the year are when we don't need heat or air conditioning. I haven't noticed any difference in that from Maryland to Tennessee, that is, I feel perfectly fine when I am outdoors in Oak Ridge and feel better when I go outdoors, if I already have a headache. What causes her migraines? I'm guessing it's not food related. Does it have anything to do with elevation and traffic fumes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top