Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times

Advertisements

Jamestown has about 1,800 people. It's median income is about $12,000-$13,000 as opposed to the national $42,000. It's unemployment rate is very high. I don't make a move without looking into the schools backwards and forwards, and I'm sure you know it will be difficult for a high school honors student to be uprooted. He is obviously doing very well, right now.

There are rednecks all across this country. I was surrounded by them in Massachusetts. There are two kinds, in my opinion. There are the folks that get up every day and go to work, sometimes in a pickup truck with a gun rack. Then there are the folks that like small government and big checks. Both kinds are everywhere.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,888 times
I am a country girl from Florida which to most people, seems strange. It is a little known fact to some people that there is more to Florida than Disney and beaches lol...I moved to Tennessee a few years back and I love it. It was like stepping back in time 20 years to the way it was in Florida where I grew up. I am reaching retirement age and plan to stay here but also visit my children who remained down there. I guess when I was in my 20's and 30's, I couldn't have imagined being stuck in a town where there is no 'night life'...now I love it!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 PM

35,911 posts, read 30,458,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossvillegal View Post
I am a country girl from Florida which to most people, seems strange. It is a little known fact to some people that there is more to Florida than Disney and beaches lol...I moved to Tennessee a few years back and I love it. It was like stepping back in time 20 years to the way it was in Florida where I grew up. I am reaching retirement age and plan to stay here but also visit my children who remained down there. I guess when I was in my 20's and 30's, I couldn't have imagined being stuck in a town where there is no 'night life'...now I love it!!!

No night life! What you talkin about. Obviously you have never jammed with the folks at the Mayland Seniors center!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No night life! What you talkin about. Obviously you have never jammed with the folks at the Mayland Seniors center!
Or been chased by killer cows! Now THAT is a rockin' good time.

Nighlife for me means staying home and relaxing, so that is not important to us.

But there can be differences in places and they need to be thoroughly researched. What we think a place might be could turn out to be something completely different, good or bad. That's why I try not to have preconceived notions about anything. The internet is a wonderful thing but I still found that when I was looking for a place to move to that what looked nice or not nice on the web may turn out to barely resemble the real thing.

Good to get your ducks in a row, but then always visit.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:27 PM

23 posts, read 34,008 times
I couldn't help but respond to this post, I feel like the spotlights on me a little bit for wanting to move to TN ... if it helps any: I've living in South Louisiana just below New Orleans all my life. I hide when Mardi Gras comes around, I don't know where this "southern hospitality" came from especially down here, good bit of rude people. But it's mostly made of out of towners and illegal immigrants anyway for the oilfield $. I've never lived anywhere else, but have traveled a lot of the US to see the "greener grass on the other side" so to speak, and TN just kept standing out to me everytime I would visit. I realize people are about the same everywhere, so are how things are run, just somewhat different scenery I guess ... in TN things seem to be more relaxed, people seem to take more time out to say "Hi" or not be so rushed and rude, do things with more care, at least to me. I'm not much of a religous person myself - except down here you're more "expected" to be "something" to most people. It might be dorky but I love seeing so much protected area and open land in TN, it kinds of angers me to see hotels, developments, suburbs popping up so much. As far as culture, probably sounds like I'm tearing down where I live, but it's pretty much gone. I find in TN, the culture is diverse yet still defined and unchanging. That is amazing to me... well I could go on and on and hope I didn't sound ignorant or whatnot.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:37 AM

Goodness, I think you got TN figured pretty well. If you substitute New Oleans for swFlorida I could have written the same exact thing - well except I lived in MA, too. Those were my reasons for leaving, my guess to what it was going to be like when I got here, and it turned out to be correct.

If you are dorky or ignorant, well, I'm right there with ya, and I'm not bad company to be in. You also sound like someone that will assimilate well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingHigherGround View Post
I couldn't help but respond to this post, I feel like the spotlights on me a little bit for wanting to move to TN ... if it helps any: I've living in South Louisiana just below New Orleans all my life. I hide when Mardi Gras comes around, I don't know where this "southern hospitality" came from especially down here, good bit of rude people. But it's mostly made of out of towners and illegal immigrants anyway for the oilfield $. I've never lived anywhere else, but have traveled a lot of the US to see the "greener grass on the other side" so to speak, and TN just kept standing out to me everytime I would visit. I realize people are about the same everywhere, so are how things are run, just somewhat different scenery I guess ... in TN things seem to be more relaxed, people seem to take more time out to say "Hi" or not be so rushed and rude, do things with more care, at least to me. I'm not much of a religous person myself - except down here you're more "expected" to be "something" to most people. It might be dorky but I love seeing so much protected area and open land in TN, it kinds of angers me to see hotels, developments, suburbs popping up so much. As far as culture, probably sounds like I'm tearing down where I live, but it's pretty much gone. I find in TN, the culture is diverse yet still defined and unchanging. That is amazing to me... well I could go on and on and hope I didn't sound ignorant or whatnot.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:02 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,497,155 times
Quote:
[color=black][font=Verdana]It takes awhile to adjust to that slow pace people think they want. It can often take a few weeks or longer for the plumber, cable guy, bulldozer, etc. to actually come out or even call back. You have to accept that getting in the hay or putting your cows back up is more important than getting to that service call.
This is one of the things I hate most about TN. For the past couple of years I've been trying to put my house on the market, but I have work that needs to be done on the house first, and I can't get any contractors to actually show up when I hire them. Slow pace is one thing, but out here they don't give a damn about your time and just plain don't show up at all. If something comes up, would it really hurt them to take a minute out of their day to call to let you know they're not coming? Instead you take time off from work, wait and wait and you never hear from them again. This isn't just "slow pace". This is rudeness plain and simple. If they need to put their cows up or bring in the hay, fine, but at least be considerate enough to call the person to let them know you're not coming.

Anyone know a contractor in middle TN who works on mobile homes and actually shows up? I've been waiting almost 3 months for the last guy I hired. After having several contractors in a row not show up, I asked him if he was sure he wanted the job and would definitely show up, and he promised he wasn't like them and wouldn't leave me hanging. And here I am left hanging again with not even a phone call to let me know what's up, and not bothering to return my calls either. These aren't fly by nighters either. These are licensed, insured contractors. I once asked a contractor who had kept me hanging what was up, and he said "I own the business so if I don't feel like working that day, I don't have to". Well then don't take the job if you don't want to work!

BTW, I'm not new to TN, been here for 28 years and am generally easy going.

I'm enjoying the cow stories. I love cows. There are cows across the street from me, and I love waking up and looking out the window and the first thing I see is cows. A few months ago I had a cow wandering around in my front yard. It was almost at my front door. A couple of years ago, I was driving down the road and had to stop for cows that were wandering down the street, and a couple of guys on horses trying to get the cows back. And then there was the cow standing on the side of the interstate grazing on the grass. And a cow standing in the middle of the road blocking the road. The farmer who owned it wasn't home, so a few of us were out there trying to get the cow back to the farm. It was a stubborn cow and didn't want to move and none of us had rope. Yep, we got plenty of cows around here.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:17 PM

35,911 posts, read 30,458,873 times
Well bless your heart, tnp. I feel ya, but its just part of it. Ive been here about 35 yrs. now and Im finially use to it, so maybe in a few yrs.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:30 AM

634 posts, read 1,414,312 times
Quote:
Well bless your heart, tnp. I feel ya, but its just part of it. Ive been here about 35 yrs. now and Im finially use to it, so maybe in a few yrs.

Sounds like you fit in nicely.

One thing about 'small' towns that ( some ) newcomers don't think about is to choose their words wisely. It may not seem like they are marking themselves, but once they say something bad about the performance of a 'small town' local or two .. or how dumb they are, word travels fast and the rest of the locals will make sure not to get in a hurry to lend them a hand. I'll agree we don't get in a hurry anyways, but one can really add to their delay by b****ing about slowness or how dumb they think people are in the sticks.

I know a farmer that was once cussed out by a new transplant early one morning because she got behind his tractor carrying a roll of hay on a narrow road where she couldn't pass. He'd have gladly found a spot to pull over and let her pass if she had not been acting a fool behind him. To beat all, he was only going to his next gait anyways less than 1/4 of a mile. After that, he remembered quite well the time she left for work and made sure to ride his tractor The Whole Two Miles out of the holler every morning ( whether he needed to or not ) for a week 'just in time' for her to end up following him ... and he didn't pull the throttle open much either, he just looked back once in a while and tipped his Co-Op hat with a smile. After that, she greeted her neighbors more kindly by keeping her rudeness to herself. She didn't stay long, about a year total and she sold out soon as she found a buyer. Guess she was to used to the faster pace of big city life.

Last edited by RS-1080; 02-02-2011 at 05:39 AM..

Old 02-02-2011, 09:09 AM

23 posts, read 34,008 times
People can be rediculous anywhere, but especially in a city. I don't get it ... why be so stressed out. This "acting a fool" is horrible, I've seen accidents with impatient people and the tracter/farmer is the one that gets critically injured. She should have felt lucky enough to live where she does. I get to smell stinky swamps and oil field biproducts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee