Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:25 PM

30 posts, read 120,630 times

Advertisements

Spent the last week in Sevierville area for vacation and loved it (love the bakery shop off Wears Valley Rd.). Anyways, from my observations, it is obvious that Tennessee Vols football is big there - maybe larger than life.

I get the impression that the fine folks of eastern Tennessee are more into Vols football than the Tennessee Titans NFL team. Is that a fair assessment?

I realize the Titans haven't been around for a long time, so loyalty and tradition might be a factor, but overall, I'm curious as to which football most people in the state prefer.

I pretty much have the assumption that in the south, overall, college football is more popular than the NFL.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Oh yes, it's the Tennessee Vols around here! I think throughout most of the South college football is more popular than the NFL. I love the Titans, too, but if you cut me open you'll find that my blood bleeds Tennessee Orange. Go Vols!!!!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-18-2010, 09:34 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
This is Vols territory. I bleed orange and have tons of Vol gear too.
Pam

Old 07-19-2010, 11:37 AM

458 posts, read 1,271,470 times
It's Vols to the walls so-to-speak. For that same reason, though you have your share of Titans fans, many of the locals in E.TN. are actually Colts fans due to Vol alumna Peyton Manning.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 PM

623 posts, read 1,541,987 times
The Titans are huge in the Nashville area. I believe they've sold out every game they've played at LP field. They're not as big though in west or east TN. I know a lot of people have kept supporting their old teams. Like the previous poster said, a lot of folks in ET actually prefer the Colts.

College and Pros are different, so it's not really a "versus" situation. Plenty of folks like both and if they're not a fan of one they often have some other college or pro team that they have an allegiance to. That's not to say that the Titans and Vols are not competing for folks dollars, but it's not like all Vol fans hate the Oilers or vice versa. I will say though that some people didn't like how the Oilers choose to use "Tennessee" rather than "Nashville" and how they were welcomed with open arms with a publicly funded stadium.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
The Titans are huge in the Nashville area. I believe they've sold out every game they've played at LP field. They're not as big though in west or east TN. I know a lot of people have kept supporting their old teams. Like the previous poster said, a lot of folks in ET actually prefer the Colts.

College and Pros are different, so it's not really a "versus" situation. Plenty of folks like both and if they're not a fan of one they often have some other college or pro team that they have an allegiance to. That's not to say that the Titans and Vols are not competing for folks dollars, but it's not like all Vol fans hate the Oilers or vice versa. I will say though that some people didn't like how the Oilers choose to use "Tennessee" rather than "Nashville" and how they were welcomed with open arms with a publicly funded stadium.
I may be wrong, but as I recall it was the state who required that the Oilers be called "Tennessee" instead of "Nashville" since state money was used to help build the new stadium, and some of the non-Nashville legislators insisted on it. I wish they were called the Nashville Titans, too, just to avoid having two big football teams called Tennessee (the Titans and the Vols). And since the Titans have probably just as much, if not more fan support in Southern Kentucky as they do in East Tennessee (certainly more than in West Tennessee) it would make more sense to me that they be called the Nashville Titans. Oh well.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-19-2010, 03:18 PM

451 posts, read 1,371,345 times
I feel like we have to share the Titans with fans countrywide... whoever likes them..... but the VOLS are OURS!!! lol... Go Vols!!

Old 07-19-2010, 03:29 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Vols football vs Titans

will that game be in Nashville or Knoxviile ?

Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Vols football vs Titans

will that game be in Nashville or Knoxviile ?

The Vols is college ball and the Titans are in the NFL, so there never will be a game.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:09 PM

30 posts, read 120,630 times
Good insights. Thanks for your responses. I wish the college football faith was strong in my neck of the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee