Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:23 AM

61 posts, read 582,543 times

Advertisements

Retirement is drawing near and I'm looking forward, most of all, to raising, and tending for, a few specific breeds of animals. I'll be settling in the greater Sparta area, and would appreciate hearing from anyone who might know of sources for acquiring Nigerian Dwarf goats; miniature donkeys; Wyandotte, Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, or Australorp chickens; and Netherland Dwarf rabbits. And any readers who might have experience with any of these breeds, I'd certainly appreciate your feedback.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 04:50 AM

98 posts, read 390,868 times
If you are settling in near Sparta --- you are in luck --- just drive 30 minutes up the road to the Crossville Flea Market on Saturdays and get your goats, rabbits, and chickens.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 13,729 times
If your moving to TN you have to get some Tennessee fainting goats! Funniest critters ya ever saw! If ya scare um, they run 10 feet and keel over!

Old 05-06-2007, 05:40 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisit44 View Post
If your moving to TN you have to get some Tennessee fainting goats! Funniest critters ya ever saw! If ya scare um, they run 10 feet and keel over!
Oh my goodness! I've never heard of them - so I just googled it, and found the funniest videos!~

Moderator cut: link

That is cool!

blessings, Shen

Old 05-06-2007, 06:41 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,203,100 times
Continuing our tradition of having a festival for anything . . .

There's the Goats, Music and More festival in Lewisburg. It's not quite the upscale and trendy event that Mule Days are, but it should be fun. A good time will be had by everyone. Well, except for the barbequed goats.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:52 PM

665 posts, read 1,925,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisit44 View Post
Ok , I am wanting to move to Tn, bear with my question, please ,what eastern, towns allow goats and small animals? I am sure there not allowed in the city areas , but a few town areas might help, like what about Dandrige?
Thank you so much!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:56 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times
If I am not mistaken, any property you own that has county taxes only and not in a semi restricted subdivision (which is usually only for no mobile homes) you can have any animals you want on your property. The best bet is to ask that question or make it a criteria for your Realtor if you want to have farm animals on your property. I can't think of a single county area from Knoxville to Tri-Cites that has restrictions on farm animals (again, except for a subdivision). Dandridge I know you can have farm animals on county land and even some city taxed land.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
If I am not mistaken, any property you own that has county taxes only and not in a semi restricted subdivision (which is usually only for no mobile homes) you can have any animals you want on your property. The best bet is to ask that question or make it a criteria for your Realtor if you want to have farm animals on your property. I can't think of a single county area from Knoxville to Tri-Cites that has restrictions on farm animals (again, except for a subdivision). Dandridge I know you can have farm animals on county land and even some city taxed land.
Thank you very much for the info,I would like to have some small animals for my grandaughter, but would have to do alot of research on how to care for them,cause I am sure their not like puppies. ..

Old 05-07-2007, 03:16 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,203,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
Thank you very much for the info,I would like to have some small animals for my grandaughter, but would have to do alot of research on how to care for them,cause I am sure their not like puppies. ..
Chickens and ducks are pretty easy (just keep the ducks out of your garden). Goats are too; the only problem with goats is if you've got any dogs in the neighborhood that roam in packs. Rabbits are a possibility. Of course, if your granddaughter is still small, getting one of those midget ponies would make you the "bestest" grandparent in the whole wide world.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:25 PM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Chickens and ducks are pretty easy (just keep the ducks out of your garden). Goats are too; the only problem with goats is if you've got any dogs in the neighborhood that roam in packs. Rabbits are a possibility. Of course, if your granddaughter is still small, getting one of those midget ponies would make you the "bestest" grandparent in the whole wide world.
Lol ,love your post!My grandughter is 3 now.We are hoping to be able to move in the next yr,or 2 hopefully not more than that.I would love to be
'the bestest" grandma in the whole world!I sure would have to learn alot about midget ponies!The most I had was a dog .Thank you for your help!
P.S. may I ask what you mean about dogs roaming in packs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee