Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:38 AM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times

Advertisements

If you live in the country, guineas are great for tick and chigger control, dogs and cats for snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:22 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,184,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbunnies View Post
Sigh...I just love when people pick on you for asking a serious question. I was just meaning can kids run around the yard with out watching each step carefully so they don't trip over a snake, etc. Could they play soccer in the yard with out worry? Could you sit in the grass at the playground and tie a kids shoe? These are the things I am concerned with. I don't think any of that is stupid.

Thank you to those who answered my question
Sorry if I offended you. But, if you'll note, most of the "picking" was on other, dumber questions that have occurred all too frequently on this forum.

Like 2mares said, there are snakes, ticks and chiggers. You won't have much trouble with any if you use some common sense. And please, don't let any concern keep you from the outdoors.

There are quite a number and variety of snakes in Tennessee and they are protected. The biggest I've seen was longer than my driveway was wide. (Some kind of racer, I think.) And we do have snakes that climb trees. Personally, IMO, snakes that climb trees belong in the Congo and not Tennessee, but that's the breaks. Point is, if you see a snake, odds are it's a nonvenomous beneficial snake. And, again, like 2mares said, if there is an issue around a house, it'll probably be a copperhead. So learn what they look like so you won't find yourself whacking some poor corn snake.

So, yes, kids can run around the yard without watching each step carefully so they don't trip over a snake. The snakes will move first. Or bite.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:46 PM

458 posts, read 1,271,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Uh, hello? It's called Skunk-Ape in the South, LOL.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
National park rangers across the country say that the majority of people that are bitten by a snake are wounded in the hands. That's because people are stupid enough to reach out to the snake. What's the snake going to do? Bite. In other words, given half a chance, a snake would rather slither away than bite you.

Once, in Florida, a water moccasin and I almost ran right into each other. We both were momentarily startled and then we both ran in opposite directions.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Sorry if I offended you. But, if you'll note, most of the "picking" was on other, dumber questions that have occurred all too frequently on this forum.

Like 2mares said, there are snakes, ticks and chiggers. You won't have much trouble with any if you use some common sense. And please, don't let any concern keep you from the outdoors.

There are quite a number and variety of snakes in Tennessee and they are protected. The biggest I've seen was longer than my driveway was wide. (Some kind of racer, I think.) And we do have snakes that climb trees. Personally, IMO, snakes that climb trees belong in the Congo and not Tennessee, but that's the breaks. Point is, if you see a snake, odds are it's a nonvenomous beneficial snake. And, again, like 2mares said, if there is an issue around a house, it'll probably be a copperhead. So learn what they look like so you won't find yourself whacking some poor corn snake.

So, yes, kids can run around the yard without watching each step carefully so they don't trip over a snake. The snakes will move first. Or bite.
Last year my sis was sitting on her covered porch when 2 snakes dropped from the roof almost into her lap. The snakes didnt make it, protected or not.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:28 AM

72 posts, read 164,893 times
If you live out in a rural area where your neighbors aren't too close you could also get some peacocks. They are a natural way to control snakes. At the Portland Zoo they let the peacocks roam freely just for that purpose.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiloosMom View Post
If you live out in a rural area where your neighbors aren't too close you could also get some peacocks. They are a natural way to control snakes. At the Portland Zoo they let the peacocks roam freely just for that purpose.
Ive been wanting to get one but they are pricy!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:43 PM

24 posts, read 98,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post
Uh, hello? It's called Skunk-Ape in the South, LOL.
Or Swamp Cabbage Man in Central Florida!

Old 08-13-2010, 08:20 PM

230 posts, read 552,949 times
I always hear about copperheads but don't think I've ever seen one in all my time in Cookeville. Are they not known to that area?

Can't keep the scorpions, spiders and diamondbacks out of area in Florida.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:16 PM

24,766 posts, read 28,505,227 times
Snakes of Tennessee : SNAKES OF TENNESSEE Most wild life stations or parks have these pamphlets for had out.. "FREE"

Spiders of Tennessee.. http://www.easttennesseewildflowers....umName=spiders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee