Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 AM

116 posts, read 212,518 times

Advertisements

We recently visited Knoxville and were a bit disappointed. Were considering Univ of Tenn for our kids. Now, we're looking into ETSU. Is Kingsport much like Knoxville? Would the drive from Kingsport to Johnson City be a long/difficult drive? I can't really be specific what about Knoxville we didn't like (sorry for those who love it). It seemed very hilly, roads very narrow and kind of bleak. We are looking to move at the end of this school year. Our kids are currently in 10th grade. It seemed as if Kingsport school district would have what we're looking for (band, softball, honors programs). What kind of house/acreage could we find for under $200,000 in Kingsport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 AM

623 posts, read 1,542,402 times
If you think Knoxville is bleak, as in it's bare, desolate, and/or depressing, you'll probably hate Kingsport. I like it up there, but apparently your standards are way off from mine.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Yeah. We are really hilly is spots, that's for sure, but not more than any other area near an eastern mountain chain. Bleak, I don't see. Narrow? I don't even understand that comment. But different strokes for different folks.

The problem is I don't know where to send you with that criteria. With my children, we are looking at the colleges from an academic perspective. What college will contribute to my child's chosen career path in a positive way? Then you actually have to make sure that they get in.

I don't know. This doesn't look bleak to me. Kind of narrow, but it is just the little street I live on.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Fountain City duck pond doesn't seem to bleak, either.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-15-2010, 12:53 PM

You're right. These pictures look beautiful. We must have been in the wrong area - plus it was winter. Actually, for an undergrad degree we figured any state university would be all right. Both colleges seemed to have what they would need.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
You're right. These pictures look beautiful. We must have been in the wrong area - plus it was winter. Actually, for an undergrad degree we figured any state university would be all right. Both colleges seemed to have what they would need.
Oh! I thought you had recently visited. That makes MUCH more sense. Yes, it can be grey in winter, just like The Northeast and Midwest. The only difference is our winters are much more mild, with several days in the 50s interspersed throughout the winter. Oh, and our winters are about half as long.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:57 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Why are you looking at Kingsport and not Johnson City?

Wherever you wind up you'll find areas that are more attractive than others.

But in E TN you're bound to encounter a lot of curvy roads.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:14 PM

I thought it may be less expensive to live in Kingsport. Am I wrong in that assumption? Also, we would like perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 acre lot. We plan to visit in October. Hopefully, we'll find something. We were in South Carolina last week (Lexington area). It was really pretty, but way too busy towards Columbia. We really want to move from the cold (N. Illinois) and settle in a place that our kids might actually consider home. (They've lived in 3 different states so far.)

Old 08-15-2010, 08:21 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
We recently visited Knoxville and were a bit disappointed. Were considering Univ of Tenn for our kids. Now, we're looking into ETSU. Is Kingsport much like Knoxville? Would the drive from Kingsport to Johnson City be a long/difficult drive? I can't really be specific what about Knoxville we didn't like (sorry for those who love it). It seemed very hilly, roads very narrow and kind of bleak. We are looking to move at the end of this school year. Our kids are currently in 10th grade. It seemed as if Kingsport school district would have what we're looking for (band, softball, honors programs). What kind of house/acreage could we find for under $200,000 in Kingsport?
If I understood your post correctly, one of the reasons you didn't like Knoxville was because it's too hilly? And you want to check out Kingsport instead? That's like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. It's very hilly in Kingsport, probably more so than Knoxville.

Out of curiosity, if you don't really like lots of hills, why are you looking at East Tennessee? If you want to be near an excellent public university and in an area that's not as hilly, check out Cookeville and Tennessee Tech--the most recent Princeton Review has TTU ranked behind only UTK out of all public universities in Tennessee for best value, and only UTK freshmen have higher ACT scores than TTU freshmen. Cookeville is flatter (although it's still hilly) and is an hour from Nashville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-17-2010, 06:58 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times
Pretty much every where in East TN is going to be bleak in the winter. If you can hang on through those few months, the rest of the year more than makes up for it!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:33 AM

New England winters start looking bleak in the middle of October and it is like that right through April, with it sometimes snowing in May.

At the most, we get 3 1/2 months of winter in Knoxville. And no matter what anyone says, it is not "winter," winter. Well, it is to a southerner, but not to a northerner. It's not tropical south Florida, either, but I've done that and rather not, again. There is beauty in "bleak" after ten years of unrelenting, glaring sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee