Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:06 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times

Advertisements

Van Buren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 05:45 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs 1885 View Post
Van Buren
Spencer area... you may want too check and see if you have mineral rights and or natural gas on your property...

Old 09-27-2010, 06:48 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Ok. Sounds like more of a pain than it's worth. Scratch that idea! Maybe we'll just sell and rent for the next year until we move. Ugh.
Everything that involves government is more of a pain than it is worth in today's world. Gov't bureaucrats and politicians load on the regulations and permits and requirements without thought that they may be actually stopping people from doing useful and productive things (or making them much more expensive than they should be). After all, money spent on keeping government bureaucrats with paperwork in front of them is money NOT invested better technology that protects the environment.

I would love for an economist to do a study quantifying just how much investment would take place in America if government wasn't such an obscene burden. It has to be enormous. Government workers are parasites on the productive economy where one person hiring another (me hiring a carpenter to put up a new half-wall in my house, for example) generally enriches both parties. Me paying for a government bureaucrat to review and issue a building permit to put up a new half-wall is money burned, as far as I'm concerned. It adds no value.

If you are thinking of responding here with "government regulates trades like building so that the consumer is protected," you haven't been robbed by government-"licensed" General Contractors and the like (who can place liens on your property legally without paying their subcontractors, and their subs can then sue you). One experience with that and you'll find that the law is set up to protect the unethical businessman and the subs, and the consumer's only recourse is to hire a lawyer and throw away another $10,000 in legal fees.

I know our local government (NH) has prevented me from investing over $100,000 in our local community (right now) to hire carpenters, handymen, and other productive professionals to renovate a house, since I must first throw away $50,000 and one year of wasted time on State and Local permits that have absolutely nothing to do with my property or the work being done. In effect, by trying to "protect wetlands," government has instead placed a $50,000 penalty and one year of bureaucratic nightmares in front of the property owners who are trying to do exactly that.

I am definitely of the opinion that a tiny government that does almost nothing is much better than a huge government that does nothing right.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I am definitely of the opinion that a tiny government that does almost nothing is much better than a huge government that does nothing right.
Well, TN has a fraction of the regulations that NH has. I think the OP's issue is going to be less a regulation issue and more of a "can't sell fast" issue. Correctly subdividing and titling land is one of the few regulations in this country that is of utmost importance. If you bought one of those plots you would agree. But I'm from New England and I intimately know about wetlands regulations and the like. TN doesn't even remotely approach that level.

By the way, mrs1885, I am sorry to hear about your troubles. My daughter is a Collier Countian, too. And I'm from New England. I think we might be following each other around. I want you to be my new best friend so I can visit you in Maine!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
By the way, mrs1885, I am sorry to hear about your troubles. My daughter is a Collier Countian, too. And I'm from New England. I think we might be following each other around. I want you to be my new best friend so I can visit you in Maine!
The issue has been resolved. No land dividing needed. We're all good! Thanks for everyone's input though.

Oh honey, gimme a call. I"ve got more than enough time on my hands now - we can all get together for lunch. I'll give Bones a call and we'll grill out at his house!! And you're more than welcome to visit us in Maine. House we're looking has 4 bedrooms in the main house and has a 2 bedroom apartment over the garage!! Plenty room.

Life is feeling pretty good right now!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:18 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
The issue has been resolved. No land dividing needed. We're all good! Thanks for everyone's input though.

Oh honey, gimme a call. I"ve got more than enough time on my hands now - we can all get together for lunch. I'll give Bones a call and we'll grill out at his house!! And you're more than welcome to visit us in Maine. House we're looking has 4 bedrooms in the main house and has a 2 bedroom apartment over the garage!! Plenty room.

Life is feeling pretty good right now!
OK, the place is set, halfway between...., now y'all pick a date.....

Old 09-30-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
OK, the place is set, halfway between...., now y'all pick a date.....
Well, that'll be up to hiknapster. It's not like I"ve got anything to do after today! LOL

Old 09-30-2010, 05:36 PM

Did some one say BBQ...

Old 09-30-2010, 06:15 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Did some one say BBQ...
He,he,he....you're invited also....

Old 09-30-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
He,he,he....you're invited also....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee