Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 09:26 AM

30 posts, read 55,366 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 25 yr old female that's considering a move to Nashville from Knoxville and I was just wondering how the two cities compare. I've only been to Nashville a few times for overnight trips (concerts at the Ryman) so I haven't really seen a lot of the city. I currently work in downtown Knoxville and live in a suburb. I would really love to live and work around the downtown Nashville area (I've been looking at Capitol Towers/Metro Manor online), but a few friends have described Nashville's downtown as "dirty" compared to Knoxville and I'd really like to hear a local perspective. Any comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 05:20 PM

147 posts, read 334,364 times
I'm from Nashville and lived in Knoxville for 4 years while going to school. Knoxville is a much dirtier city than Nashville. I honestly don't see how you could argue the opposite. And I mean more than just trash, as Knoxville has abandoned warehouses/factories right near its downtown area. Overall I would say Nashville is a better city with more opportunities. Obviously this is all my opinion and you may feel differently

Old 09-25-2010, 06:58 PM

233 posts, read 720,644 times
I don't know that I would be the best person to compare the two cities, but we did quite a bit of research in the East Tennessee area and now live in the middle Tennessee area due to job opportunities. I work in downtown Nashville, specifically on the campus of the Centennial Medical Center. From what I saw of downtown Knoxville, there were some nice areas, but also some areas that looked pretty rough. In fact, there were some parts I didn't want to be around at all, but when you got a few miles away, it wasn't bad at all.

However, at this point, I can only give my experience of working in downtown Nashville over that last two years. I have seen some things that I never saw in 38 years of living in FL. Used tampons in the parking garage, trash everywhere even though there are trash cans available, storm drains that smell like sewer systems (don't know why), dirty diapers thrown in parking lots leading up to the medical offices. I was doing a favor for a friend and had to go to the Bridgestone arena to pick up a few items on Wednesday. Parked in a spot two blocks away and walked to the arena. I could not believe the smells. It was so gross, I couldn't wait to leave. I thought New Orleans was bad with the street smells, but this area of downtown Nashville wasn't any better. I wouldn't even think of eating in this area with those smells!

If I had a choice at this point, I would certainly chose Knoxville over Nashville, but again, I haven't had to experience Knoxville up close. Perhaps they are about the same with people who don't care about trash, etc. The time I spent in East Tennessee seems to show me that people are more respectful of their surroundings, but someone who actually lives there could have a different point of view.

If you are a professional and have a choice, the cost of living in East Tennessee is much lower than around the Nashville area and if you can stand cooler temps, it may be the better choice. Consider Maryville! I would love to be able to live there!

This is just an opinion from one person. Maybe the best thing is for you to visit and make your own comparison!!

Old 09-25-2010, 07:24 PM

Thank you so far for your opinions. From the pictures and research I've done online, Nashville seems like a wonderful place. I will definitely have to drive out there in the next week or two. Can anyone suggest a nice, but not too fancy hotel in downtown where I would get the best "feel" for the area? (I'm thinking along the lines of a Best Western...nothing too expensive) And believe me, I meant Nashville no disrespect...just repeating what I've heard from friends. The area of downtown I work in is right next to Market Square so it's relatively clean. They even started putting recycling bins on every block to help with the trash. Thanks and I encourage any opinions or suggestions!

Old 09-25-2010, 07:33 PM

233 posts, read 720,644 times
I don't know much about places to stay, but I will check with people I work with to give you suggestions. Once we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Broadway, but it is not really downtown (by the bars, etc.). If I hear of something good, I'll post for you!

Old 09-25-2010, 07:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YallWantHam View Post
I'm from Nashville and lived in Knoxville for 4 years while going to school. Knoxville is a much dirtier city than Nashville. I honestly don't see how you could argue the opposite. And I mean more than just trash, as Knoxville has abandoned warehouses/factories right near its downtown area. Overall I would say Nashville is a better city with more opportunities. Obviously this is all my opinion and you may feel differently
I suspect you haven't been to Knoxville in a bit. It has changed drastically in recent years. Those abandoned warehouses and factories have been converted into condos. The Bijou was restored and reopened as well as The Tennessee Theater, The Rivera Cinema and S&W Cafeteria. The Mast General Store opened and Urban Outfitters is moving in. Market Square is now very nice. Knoxville has a gorgeous downtown.

Redevelopment is now heading north of the Old City and onto Broadway and they are looking at what to do with the south waterfront now that Baptist Hospital was taken over from St. Mary's and closed.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:27 PM

Default and the job market?

I'm not as worried about the "grit" of the city as I am being able to find a decent paying job. I'm about to graduate school with an associate degree is Paralegal Studies and I'm really curious about the job market. Anyone know any good lawyers that would be looking for an entry-level worker around January? It doesn't have to be an actual paralegal position, just anything administrative that would pay $13 or more (since that's what I make here). Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:06 PM

Knoxville unemployment rate: 7.7 percent

Nashville: 8.8 percent

I'll let you know if I hear of a job opening. You might want to check indeed.com.

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area

Old 09-29-2010, 06:51 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Knoxville unemployment rate: 7.7 percent

Nashville: 8.8 percent

I'll let you know if I hear of a job opening. You might want to check indeed.com.

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area
I see those numbers thrown around a lot but really I have a problem with a city statistic so far from the state number and other cities. Are numbers being under reported and/or people are just not looking for work (people not looking are not included in the number.)?

It may very well be lower but I have my doubts.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:40 PM

The state number is usually high because there are counties in the state that have historically high numbers. I don't think the city numbers are that far apart but Knoxville tends to have a very steady economy, not often subject to wild swings either way. When parts of Florida, or even some parts of Tennessee, were experiencing wild growth during the housing boom, Knoxville saw a relatively small uptick.

This is a fabulous link explaining how unemployment stats are calculated.

How the Government Measures Unemployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
I see those numbers thrown around a lot but really I have a problem with a city statistic so far from the state number and other cities. Are numbers being under reported and/or people are just not looking for work (people not looking are not included in the number.)?

It may very well be lower but I have my doubts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee