Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tennessee: traffic, real estate, rental, retirement, diversity.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:22 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times

Advertisements

It seems like we get an awful lot of folks who are coming from other states who have the same kind of somewhat insulting comments when it comes to the ideal paradise they seek. I see more posts where there's someone who perhaps now lives in a perceived liberal area, where they're of course priced out, sick of the crowds, or some other status quo that gives them the knee-jerk reaction that they can solve all their problems by movin' on down the da' South where they can gorge themselves on cheap real estate. But apparently, cheap real estate, less traffic, and less stress just simply isn't enough. Not only do they want all this but they have a Rabid fear of Southern style religion, the bugs, the humidity, the people, conservatives, etc etc. So the same question is asked: " We're looking for a place where we won't be subject to "your" religion, where people are liberal just-like-us, and so on..."

My advice is that if you're coming here because you seek a new life, then perhaps that would also be a time to think about becoming more open and accepting of the culture that you're about to be a part of rather than try and insulate yourselves from it. If you try to do so, you will fail and be very unhappy people.

How about embracing our culture? Look at what we have to offer.Appreciate the people who are happy about their religion. Say hello to the good ole' boys at the Wal-Mart. Listen to country music. Eat fried food. In other words, be yourselves, but don't expect to avoid the natives as if you're wearing blinders.

Just a bit of advice for those making an exodus from outside the TN border. You might find that we're actually a lot cooler than you ever imagined. If not, imagine what you will be missing.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:50 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
I debated writing this or not but I am going to go ahead and prepare myself for aftermath Now, to give you all a little background, I was born and raised in east Tennessee, and lived in a couple of other places because I was pursuing educational/work opportunities, etc. and my airline captain husband was based out of Pittsburgh (hey, he tried to get on with a southern airline, wasn't like we were dying to go to PIT). I had two children born in Pittsburgh, so technically they are "yankees" and I have a great many friends and associates still "up north". I purposefully moved back home to TN after 9/11 and will never leave. Ok, now having said all of that. We went out to dinner last night. We went to Courtyard over at Alcoa Hwy and Pellissippi. Basically, what we encountered was normal yankee behavior, however, it was appalling and rude. What I am talking about is the two older couples seated beside us. Both couples were obviously from "up north" due to their accents and all that they could do the entire time they were seated there was condemn the local lifestyle, politics, customs, cultures, etc. It was no wonder to me that the especially loud one was complaining that he was having a hard time getting along at work. His condemnation of our customs and his holier than thou attitude alone would be enough for me to want to boot him. At one point my 18 year old son leaned over to me and whispered "why don't they leave?", and I said "They're done with their dinner and I am sure they will be going soon" to which he answered "No, I mean why don't they leave this area if they hate it so much?" That's my boy! (also, every other word out of one mans mouth was a potty word and not suitable for a family dining establishment) So, before you attack me, yes - rude people are everywhere; we have plenty of locals that are rude. And the northerners have just as much right to be here as I do, this is America afterall. However, no one wants to hear their hometown berated, no one wants to hear all the negative and no one wants to hear any conversation that loud in a restaurant. So, for those of you that want to come here so badly, make sure that you truly want to come here. Perhaps you should do a 6 month or one year rental. Our dinner experience was hampered last night by rude, obnoxious, yankee talking people. Ok, apologies to my friends that are wonderful yankees, apologies to my two children that are yankees, but heads up to anyone wanting to come here. Be nice, be courteous, acclimate yourself into the way of life here. Bulls in china shops never go over well.

<<stepping down off of my soapbox>> Thanks for listening. I feel better, I think.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:53 PM

62 posts, read 206,171 times
I agree. The worst thing you can do when you move to Tn., is try and change it.
I've known dozens of people that moved around the Dale Hollow area,because they thought it was such a nice place after vacationing there,just to turn around and move back a few years later. Mostly because they think it's so boring in the off season. There is no Perfect Place, if there was everyone would be there.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:15 PM

177 posts, read 613,997 times
I just debated this very thing for that pat couple of weeks on a "Warnings of Moving Down South" thread on the New York board. I finally quit because you simply couldn't get people to understand that there are customs and ways here in the South just as there are up North. But anyways...yeah, I feel you on that.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Default Outsiders who want to move to Tennessee

I am one of those people from outside of Tennessee who is interested in retiring in Tennessee. Yes, I do want to retire in a less populated area with a lower cost of living. Even though I've lived on the liberal "left" coast since 1977, I don't want to see Tennessee change in any way. I'm originally from the deep south (Louisiana) and have never considered myself to be a "Californian." I am a southern born and bred conservative who desperately wants to return to the south. I have no fear of Southern style religion, the bugs, the humidity, the people, conservatives, etc. My wife and I have visited Tennessee and have fallen in love with your state. We want to be part of Tennessee. We want to learn more about Tennessee history. We want to be active in the community in which we retire. We will be in Tennessee in August to again visit your beautiful state, explore, learn, talk to people, and hopefully choose the area in which we want to retire. We can't wait!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:57 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
sliverbox- Once again, you refer to the south as if it's where you live. Do you??

Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
sliverbox- Once again, you refer to the south as if it's where you live. Do you??

My entire family lives there and has done so for 250+ years. I lived there until I was 21 and have since lived in MA, NY, and now CA for the past 7. One thing that perhaps non-natives don't get is that once you're a Southerner, you'll ALWAYS be one. Hence I feel that my roots and heritage are more than sufficient to warrant strong feelings. That and I have lived in extremely liberal areas and fail to see how being uber-liberal is better than uber-conservative because they're both too ignorant to try anything new. I have seen both sides of the table.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Thumbs up Yea smokeymtngal

After living in several southern states and hoping to live in one again very soon I couldn't agree with you more! I have seen what you were talking about.
That being said I just love people who no longer live in a place still try to tell everyone how to live. It's like telling people who want to work at your old job how they should think about the company. I notice there are a lot of bored people here TELLING people how they should act or what they should think in a place they don't live and doesn't affect them in the least. I can understand someone like SmokeyMtnGal, she lives there and has the right since she has to put up with it.
I guess after a while California changes some of the people who live there now and USED to live in TN (and like silver) making them think they can harrass others.
I apologize for jumping in here, but I enjoy reading and conversing with the people in the place we hope to call home soon, I just get tired of the harranging from the same people over and over who don't even live there....

Old 07-02-2007, 05:38 PM

59 posts, read 284,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
What I am talking about is the two older couples seated beside us. Both couples were obviously from "up north" due to their accents and all that they could do the entire time they were seated there was condemn the local lifestyle, politics, customs, cultures, etc. It was no wonder to me that the especially loud one was complaining that he was having a hard time getting along at work.
When people do that sort of thing in foreign countries, we call them Ugly Americans. They cause all of us to suffer because of their boorish behavior and their refusal to acknowledge local customs, cultures, and beliefs. Some even like to tell the locals how to behave and how the American way is the correct way. They believe that if everybody did everything just like them, then all would be right with the world.

But they are not just from Yankee land. They come from all over, including the South.

Some even get elected to high office.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:39 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,960 times
I think it’s great when people ask where the most “liberal” or “conservative” places are, or where the least bugs are, or where the most or least religious fanatics might be found, and on and on. What’s wrong with requesting data about various cities (or States) in forums established by . . . CITY-DATA.com?

The idea of diversity is good for some and maybe not so good for others. There are lots of times I think it might be great to live in an area whose inhabitants have similar political philosophies to mine. I mean, it might be fun to frequently “preach to the choir” rather than to a gaggle of nincompoops. Then again, it might be boring. Anyway, I’m sure most everybody has preferences and I don’t see anything wrong with asking questions even if some people are sensitive about certain words such as liberal (those horrible, awful, disgusting, America-ruining . . . !).

Tennessee will change, but it will be by various groups of people, mostly developers and their supporters who find that it is so much easier to make money by buying government support at various levels and getting major tax largesse from those put in power by them. Of course, these developers would be what, liberals? Or maybe NON-bleeding-heart liberals? Surely “conservatives” would not gain big favors from cities, counties, and the State so as to purchase huge tracts of land at bargain-basement-today-only prices and build enormous money-sucking establishments on them without scrutiny by the people who live and love the State of Tennessee, now would they?

Yeah, I think this is the right place to ask questions. If not, what purpose would it serve? Maybe a sounding board for preaching to a particular choir?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee