Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,960 times

Advertisements

We are planning to buy Centex home in Tn, we made te offer and now the loan has been approved, but I'm so worry that we had the inspector to check the house and he found some things that needs to be repair cosmetic speaking, but we went to the house couple of times and we like it. But after the inspection I'm not sure, one of the things the inspector mentioned is that in one of the bathrooms crownmolding they did a very sloopy job and the materials they used overall cheap. Anybody there tell me please what we should do 3,700 sq for 300k should I back up and not get this house? Water heater tank is very cheap said the inspector and also the drywall very uneven oh no I can't sleep tonight until I get an answer from anybody outhere so can answer my question I can buy a house if is not going to be easy to sell later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanita07 View Post
We are planning to buy Centex home in Tn, we made te offer and now the loan has been approved, but I'm so worry that we had the inspector to check the house and he found some things that needs to be repair cosmetic speaking, but we went to the house couple of times and we like it. But after the inspection I'm not sure, one of the things the inspector mentioned is that in one of the bathrooms crownmolding they did a very sloopy job and the materials they used overall cheap. Anybody there tell me please what we should do 3,700 sq for 300k should I back up and not get this house? Water heater tank is very cheap said the inspector and also the drywall very uneven oh no I can't sleep tonight until I get an answer from anybody outhere so can answer my question I can buy a house if is not going to be easy to sell later
Do you have a Realtor that represented you that can guide you through this? Did you not see the material they were going to use to build the house? As in a model home? Also, the brand of the water heater is disclosed to you in the contract as part of the spec sheet. As far as uneven drywall and cheap workmanship, you need to complain to them and make them do it again and again until you are satisfied or if you are too uncomfortable with it, just back out of the contract. You could lose your earnest money but it's better than being stuck with a lemon.

Naima

Old 10-21-2010, 05:58 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
It would help if you name the city where the house is located because Centex is a huge company. The subs they use are probably local.
Is it new construction or an older home?
It also would help if you use punctuation!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times
I bought a Centex home and haven't had any problems. We had an inspector go through the home as well and only found a few small things. Centex will tell you that inspectors are there to find superficial flaws with the home and not to worry about it, but I'd stick to my guns and ask that they fix the molding and any other minor flaws. Those sound like things that can be fixed very easily, but make them do it before you close!

Centex also has a pretty good warranty, although I think it's now only 1 year instead of 2. But if you see anything wrong, they are very good at fixing it quickly. We've had issues with nail pops in the ceiling, bubbling in some linoleum, a hand rail that needed more supports, some drooping siding. All very small things.

That said, I've had neighbors who seem to think they have bigger concerns with the home quality. I think part of it is the neighbor being pessimistic and a complainer...but I do think there are some legitimate beefs out there with some of the quality. This is not symptomatic of Centex but of builders in general.

I'd also be curious to know what community you're building in.

Shoot me a direct message if you have questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee