Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 01:36 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Your mislead. Hispanics are here legally most of the time. The "Mexican's from Mexico w/out a green card are not.

Definition: A person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or
other Spanish cultures or origins

Explain your education? School? Dr. Degree? What?
I'm sorry to tell you that you are mislead. Most of the illegals that I know are from South American countries. They make their way up through Mexico and cross the boarder there. Just because they cross the board in Mexico doesn't not make them Mexican. I actually know people like this. I am not telling you what I read or what I drive by and see. I am on here just to give everyone my honest day to day living experiences in this state as many of them try to make decisions about uprooting their lives and moving here. By the way, if only Mexicans come here illegally, why are there shows on in South American countires that promote them coming here illegaly? I think it is a telenovela that promotes it.
My education comes from the street. I have had neighbors involved in gang activity and have read much about it- even their own website which recruits new members. My husband is in law enforcement and works with gangs. School will teach you what they want you to know. My knowledge is from the real world.
And again, you are mislead about what most illegals make. At least in construction. They will not go with you if you will not pay at least $10 an hour. And the ones who approach my friend's husband seeking sponsorship will only work for $15- $20 an hour doing drywall.
And there are many people my husband works with now who own their own farms and do not have illegals (or any hispanics) working them.
And I never said that all hispanics are illegal and involved in criminal activity. But usually the most prosperous ones are the ones who, at least later, bring their families. Many of the young punks that are here illegally have families here and there (my second cousin being involved in a similar situation). Those who do best seem to be more into assimilating and being part of this country as opposed to those who want to bring their country to us. Which with all the corruption, especially in Mexico, why would they want to bring that here. You would think they would not only come for the money, but also the better way of life. Those seeking the better way of life do often become productive members of socitey (and eventually legal, even if they did not come here legally).

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2006 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: quote fixed (remember to open quotation with [quote] and end with [/quote] )

Old 08-19-2006, 01:56 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,642 times
[quote=insanesmooch;65069]
Quote:
Your mislead. Hispanics are here legally most of the time. The "Mexican's from Mexico w/out a green card are not.

Definition: A person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or

I'm sorry to tell you that you are mislead. Most of the illegals that I know are from South American countries. They make their way up through Mexico and cross the boarder there. Just because they cross the board in Mexico doesn't not make them Mexican. I actually know people like this. I am not telling you what I read or what I drive by and see. I am on here just to give everyone my honest day to day living experiences in this state as many of them try to make decisions about uprooting their lives and moving here. By the way, if only Mexicans come here illegally, why are there shows on in South American countires that promote them coming here illegaly? I think it is a telenovela that promotes it.
My education comes from the street. I have had neighbors involved in gang activity and have read much about it- even their own website which recruits new members. My husband is in law enforcement and works with gangs. School will teach you what they want you to know. My knowledge is from the real world.
And again, you are mislead about what most illegals make. At least in construction. They will not go with you if you will not pay at least $10 an hour. And the ones who approach my friend's husband seeking sponsorship will only work for $15- $20 an hour doing drywall.
And there are many people my husband works with now who own their own farms and do not have illegals (or any hispanics) working them.
And I never said that all hispanics are illegal and involved in criminal activity. But usually the most prosperous ones are the ones who, at least later, bring their families. Many of the young punks that are here illegally have families here and there (my second cousin being involved in a similar situation). Those who do best seem to be more into assimilating and being part of this country as opposed to those who want to bring their country to us. Which with all the corruption, especially in Mexico, why would they want to bring that here. You would think they would not only come for the money, but also the better way of life. Those seeking the better way of life do often become productive members of socitey (and eventually legal, even if they did not come here legally).
Your husband being in law enforcement and you living in a bad area (Is law enforcement pay that bad out there?) still holds no weight with me. The word law enforcement could mean book keeping in an office. Both my parents worked and retired from Sheriff Dept. Dad drove a black and white and was on the streets I live in California. Your over doing this illegal thing. Really.

Better educate your self besides the street. Get out once in awhile and see the difference between a Hispanic and an illegal.

As for $15-$20, Come-on. $10 maybe, yes. I also had a contruction business in the mid 90's and only paid them $8-$10 hr. Couldn't get a white guy out there for that amount.

"Better way of life". I agree. So, whats the problem? Are you Indian? If not, someone in your family came over and got a "card" to live here. That was ok?

Again, just as many white, black, asian people commit crimes and because they were born here it is ok? NO! Its not. These are the people that are on welfare AND commiting crimes. Double trouble.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:31 PM

We do not live in a bad area. He was living in a neighborhood that went down hill when the illegals started moving in, just as they have most of South Nashville. Before we got married and moved, he was about to be certified by the in some Gang enforment program, but neither of us wanted to stay in Middle TN.

Better educate your self besides the street. Get out once in awhile and see the difference between a Hispanic and an illegal.

That has to be one of the craziest things I have ever heard. So you think actually KNOWING people who are in that situation (here illegally in this case) is not the way to learn how it works? So I should be feed all these lies and read books by people who have never met a hispanic let alone bothered to determine if they have their papers or not. Come on! I hope all your world views are not based on strictly what you read or hear. Need I stress again, I KNOW these people and I KNOW they are illegal base on KNOWING them.
Here's a lesson, go to a construction site with a video camera and see who runs. Illegals will run.
As for $15-$20, Come-on. $10 maybe, yes. I also had a contruction business in the mid 90's and only paid them $8-$10 hr. Couldn't get a white guy out there for that amount.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's true. They would request $15 to $20 or walk. And your talking about a decade ago. Prices have gone up.

"Better way of life". I agree. So, whats the problem? Are you Indian? If not, someone in your family came over and got a "card" to live here. That was ok?

Well, there was a time when the boarders were open to all those who wanted to come here. Then they closed them and set up the system with all the laws (that is one part people miss when they make that comparison). Before those laws, no one was doing anything illegal to come here. And most came here for a better way of life.
Again, just as many white, black, asian people commit crimes and because they were born here it is ok? NO! Its not. These are the people that are on welfare AND commiting crimes. Double trouble.[/quote]

No one EVER said that just because you were born here you could commit crimes or live off welfare. You just ASSUME that. Seems you have issues with facing what the subject really is. No one started this thread talking about US citizens and their use of welfare and committing of crimes. It was started with someone asking about illegal aliens. And I am here to give my real life, honest, personal experience with them. In California, maybe many of the hispanics are legal. But they have been pooring over your boarders for many years. You must remember that it is "new" in Tennessee. Only in the last five years or so have they become such a problem. Nothing was in Spanish here about 5 years ago except the name of Mexican restaurants. What you are saying may be the norm out there, but what I say is the norm where I live. And last I checked this was about people coming to Tennessee, not California. I am telling people about Tennessee life. So you need to take that into consideration when you try to imply that what I have lived day to day for several years is untrue and that I know nothing because I based it on actually knowing people instead of reading it in a book.
Except the part about who is illegal and who is not, we are not too far off on what we are trying to get across. Just keep in mind that California is much different than Tennessee. After all, isn't that the reason you (or any others on here) are seeking to move?

Old 08-19-2006, 02:40 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,455 times
Default gumballs...

That video is very powerful--I'm a visual person so seeing it put that way is moving.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:44 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
Just keep in mind that California is much different than Tennessee. After all, isn't that the reason you (or any others on here) are seeking to move?
So how bad, your opinion as a Tennessean, is the illegal immigration problem in EasternTN I have never been to California nor do I ever want to go there but TN yes, it is in our future--so any help you can provide I iwll take Thanks

Old 08-19-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
So how bad, your opinion as a Tennessean, is the illegal immigration problem in EasternTN I have never been to California nor do I ever want to go there but TN yes, it is in our future--so any help you can provide I iwll take Thanks

In Eastern TN, I do not see that many illegals (or hispanics period). There are small pockets of them. Though Morristown seems to be just about taken over. In Knoxville, there are few. Middle TN is booming with construction which I am sure is what drove them there. Knoxville and east is growing, but I don't think it is as fast. Perhaps the illegals in the east side of the state are still 'hiding' for fear of deportation. I rarely see any of them out and about in East TN. In Nashville and surrounding areas, they know they are safe from deportation. There are so many and they have all these Hispanic community leaders (who are legal) on their side. In Knoxville (or other eastern cities), I don't think they have that type of support. The day may come where they do have that support and then they will take over parts of town. People, mostly from Knoxville, that I have talked to about the problem of illegals only have knowledge of them based on what they hear.
Knoxville did have one reported incident in the Spring where there were illegals in MS-13 who stabbed some people (all involved were hispanic). Some kind of 'bar fight' thing it sounded like. I have heard of nothing specific about illegals since coming to the Tri-cites.
So as of now, the problem is not bad in East TN. And there are people in our state legislature trying to "demagnitize" the state and keep the illegal ones from coming.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
We do not live in a bad area. He was living in a neighborhood that went down hill when the illegals started moving in, just as they have most of South Nashville. Before we got married and moved, he was about to be certified by the in some Gang enforment program, but neither of us wanted to stay in Middle TN.

That has to be one of the craziest things I have ever heard. So you think actually KNOWING people who are in that situation (here illegally in this case) is not the way to learn how it works? So I should be feed all these lies and read books by people who have never met a hispanic let alone bothered to determine if they have their papers or not. Come on! I hope all your world views are not based on strictly what you read or hear. Need I stress again, I KNOW these people and I KNOW they are illegal base on KNOWING them.
Here's a lesson, go to a construction site with a video camera and see who runs. Illegals will run.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's true. They would request $15 to $20 or walk. And your talking about a decade ago. Prices have gone up.

Well, there was a time when the boarders were open to all those who wanted to come here. Then they closed them and set up the system with all the laws (that is one part people miss when they make that comparison). Before those laws, no one was doing anything illegal to come here. And most came here for a better way of life.
Again, just as many white, black, asian people commit crimes and because they were born here it is ok? NO! Its not. These are the people that are on welfare AND commiting crimes. Double trouble.
Quote:
No one EVER said that just because you were born here you could commit crimes or live off welfare. You just ASSUME that. Seems you have issues with facing what the subject really is. No one started this thread talking about US citizens and their use of welfare and committing of crimes. It was started with someone asking about illegal aliens. And I am here to give my real life, honest, personal experience with them. In California, maybe many of the hispanics are legal. But they have been pooring over your boarders for many years. You must remember that it is "new" in Tennessee. Only in the last five years or so have they become such a problem. Nothing was in Spanish here about 5 years ago except the name of Mexican restaurants. What you are saying may be the norm out there, but what I say is the norm where I live. And last I checked this was about people coming to Tennessee, not California. I am telling people about Tennessee life. So you need to take that into consideration when you try to imply that what I have lived day to day for several years is untrue and that I know nothing because I based it on actually knowing people instead of reading it in a book.
Except the part about who is illegal and who is not, we are not too far off on what we are trying to get across. Just keep in mind that California is much different than Tennessee. After all, isn't that the reason you (or any others on here) are seeking to move?
I went to the local paper and saw VERY FEW people making $20hr, your saying illegals are making more. Do you here that people? Illegals make more the people that are educated

No. To have no house payment

Old 08-19-2006, 05:53 PM

66 posts, read 261,011 times
We will be moving to TN if my husband relocates to the Nissan in Smyrna. Didn't they open just a couple years ago? From CA,right? Maybe that has something to do with more hispanics in the area?

Old 08-19-2006, 06:00 PM

23 posts, read 76,124 times
Default Doesn't anyone remember Ellis Island

Quote:

I am not disagreeing with you on the gangs and illegals. As far as crimes. But, there are a lot of illegals here that do just fine. Honestly. Ask your husband/wife may it be. Would they go to the fields and pick crop for $8hr in 100* outside? NOT! Geeez I can't even get a white guy here to do work on my house for less than $300 a day. Not alone $64 a day....lol Why complain when I can get an illegal here for 1/3 of that and will show up to do the work. The white guy would rather watch TV or play video games and say, "I am worth more than that" I'll pass. You get the point. The funny part is YOU WIVES allow this!! I see more and more guys with long hair, facial hair, looking like bums. If the women would say that is gross, clean-up get a job, what a great place we would all have. If your working 8-10hrs a day, your to tired and don't need to steal or do crimes. Its a bigger picture I think. Don't pick on one human when you have many making this world the way it is...PS. I do teach my girls to not accept this type of new man mothers and father are raising. Parents, raise your boys to become men. Clean cut, dress nice, open the car door for the ladies AND **** it work and get a job. My wife to this day after 13 yrs still never pays the bill at dinner!

The discussion is ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION right? There are always going to be slobs, bums, winos etc. There always has been. What does that have to do with illegal immigration? I'm serious, not trying to be caddy al all. Does one bad eliment OK another? My immigrant grandparents had to have "sponsors" to come to America. My grandfather was a cabinet maker when he immigrated to America in 1909. He was SENT to southern Colorado to mine coal. He had to learn English fast. There was no welfare system period. You earned it or didn't get it. Welfare didn't come until much, much later. I work in the Public schools in California. The amount of tax payer money going to illegal children would blow your mind. I too watch Lou Dobbs and agree with most of what he says. Why doesn't our government get tough with the Mexican government? Why do we tell the rest of the world how to live and let Mexico's corruption hurt us so badly. According to Lou Dobbs, Tyson paid meat cutters $19.00 an hour in the 1980's. A man could take care of his family on those wages back then. Today they pay $9.00 an hour for the same job. Our government allows that. Tyson hires illegals. I wrote Tyson to about these claims and all they said is they do not knowingly hire illegal immigrants. By the way, any of you paying the 1980's prices for chicken. Is Tyson charging us less now that they are paying lower wages? My point is we cannot take care the entire county of Mexico or half of South America for that matter. This is a huge problem and our government is ignoring it. Tyson and companies like it contribute a lot of campaign money!

Old 08-19-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bythesea View Post
The discussion is ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION right? There are always going to be slobs, bums, winos etc. There always has been. What does that have to do with illegal immigration? I'm serious, not trying to be caddy al all. Does one bad eliment OK another? My immigrant grandparents had to have "sponsors" to come to America. My grandfather was a cabinet maker when he immigrated to America in 1909. He was SENT to southern Colorado to mine coal. He had to learn English fast. There was no welfare system period. You earned it or didn't get it. Welfare didn't come until much, much later. I work in the Public schools in California. The amount of tax payer money going to illegal children would blow your mind. I too watch Lou Dobbs and agree with most of what he says. Why doesn't our government get tough with the Mexican government? Why do we tell the rest of the world how to live and let Mexico's corruption hurt us so badly. According to Lou Dobbs, Tyson paid meat cutters $19.00 an hour in the 1980's. A man could take care of his family on those wages back then. Today they pay $9.00 an hour for the same job. Our government allows that. Tyson hires illegals. I wrote Tyson to about these claims and all they said is they do not knowingly hire illegal immigrants. By the way, any of you paying the 1980's prices for chicken. Is Tyson charging us less now that they are paying lower wages? My point is we cannot take care the entire county of Mexico or half of South America for that matter. This is a huge problem and our government is ignoring it. Tyson and companies like it contribute a lot of campaign money!
It has a lot to so with it. You can't complain about some other HUMAN (they are human) when the same person in your own back yard is doing it. Its like telling one child not to talk back, then allowing another? You say there will always be bums, 36yr olds who live at home "bums", winos, etc. This is ok? Again, PLEASE don't teach your kids this. It doesn't have to be this way. Get a good education and a good job and stop the tax payers from paying for their rent and food! Once we fix what is wrong in our own "yard" then we can help the "neighbors" fix their problems. This does start at home.

So your saying only illegals get free lunches? Of course not! Americans get it too. You say you work fo rthe school then you know this.

Nothing to do with government. Blame the employer not big brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee