Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:18 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,994,120 times

Advertisements

I was on the Oak Ridger (Oak Ridge daily newspaper) website today and found that on 6/27/07, they published a 32 page supplement to the newspaper called Living Here on their website. Let me tell you how to get to it if you are interested because it doesn't just jump out at you:

Go to:
Oak Ridger

In the upper right hand corner of their homepage, you will see View Print Ads in red letters. Click on it.

On the next page, you will see a grey bar that goes across the page that has two tabs --- Newspaper Ads and Special Sections. Click on Special Sections.

In the first box on the next page, you will see the first page of the supplement Living Here. Click on the Living Here image. Keep clicking on next page to read the 32 page supplement.

In addition to the stories about government, business, schools, recreation, etc., there are a number of pages in Living Here that list (alphabetically) all of the clubs and organizations in Oak Ridge, including contact information (e-mail and phone number). You'll know when you are at the end of the Living Here special section when you see a full page Methodist Medical Center ad that shows their health services.

There is also a page that has all of the city services contact information which is helpful if you are moving here.

I was going to post some photos but all I got were links not the actual image. Did I do something wrong?

Last edited by LauraC; 07-11-2007 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 09:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
I looked at the post you deleted LauraC, the links work. If you want to post the actual pictures: From photobucket, choose and copy the "tag" at the bottom of the picture. Then when you are writing your post, choose the "insert image" tool at the top of the post you are writing (yellow box with mountain in it) then another box will pop up, copy the "tag" into that box, then the picture will show in your posts.
If you have any other troubles, PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.
Great info about Oak Ridge as usual by the way. So glad all your hard work in research is paying off for you and you are enjoying TN and are happy with where you chose.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 AM

31 posts, read 156,421 times
Very nice! My husband found out his carpenter classes are in Oak Ridge, and has asked me to investigate the area a little more in depth! Your thread will help me A LOT!
About how far from Knoxville is Oak Ridge?

Old 07-11-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I looked at the post you deleted LauraC, the links work. If you want to post the actual pictures: From photobucket, choose and copy the "tag" at the bottom of the picture. Then when you are writing your post, choose the "insert image" tool at the top of the post you are writing (yellow box with mountain in it) then another box will pop up, copy the "tag" into that box, then the picture will show in your posts.
If you have any other troubles, PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.
Great info about Oak Ridge as usual by the way. So glad all your hard work in research is paying off for you and you are enjoying TN and are happy with where you chose.

Ahhhhhh, the tag at the bottom. DUH to me! I'll try again.

I am really happy. I love my apartment and my classes and everything is so close to where I live, I can't believe it. I went to the 4th of July concert in the park last Wednesday (behind the library) and decided to see how many miles it was from my place. 1.4 miles. I keep telling people I'm within 3 miles of almost everything but it's more like I'm within 2 miles of almost everything I need.

Uhhhh, but they did test the emergency siren today and I could hear it in my place with the windows closed.

Okay, let me try to post those photos again.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Off Illinois Ave

There are two main drags in Oak Ridge, Illinois Avenue (62 on your map) and the Oak Ridge Turnpike (95 on your map).

These photos on Illinois Ave are meant to show you we have the same type stores, supermarkets, fast food places and restaurants that you have in your town and to give you an idea of the traffic around them. Also on Illinois is a brand new Staybridge Suites, a Comfort Inn and a DoubleTree.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/LauraCapo/IllandChinaBuffet.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 PM

This is a shot of our Super Wal-Mart so you get an idea of the size of it. That yellow brick section on the right is their nursery. The photo after it of Sears, taken from the Wal-Mart parking lot, is just to show you the mountains in the background. I never get tired of looking at them. Since so many ask about Home Depot, I took one of it, too, from a fitness center parking lot:

Old 07-11-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Off The Turnpike

These buildings are off the Oak Ridge Turnpike.

The library contains a whole room with documents and photos dedicated to the history of the town. The children's section of the library is also a room of its own and there is an auditorium. If you don't have Internet Service right away when you move to Oak Ridge, you can spend 2 hours per day on the Internet there with your library card.

This is the Chamber of Commerce:

The indoor pool in the Recreation Center (next door to the library). There is also an outdoor pool but I did not take photos of it:

The back of the bandshell behind the library in Bissell Park. You may remember it from the Secret City Festival photos of the Elvis impersonator. We had a two hour free concert there, the evening of July 4. I think our next one is the first weekend in August. You can sit on a blanket or bring a lawn chair. There is a playground on the other side of it.

There are Catholic, Methodist and Lutheran churches on the Turnpike. I apologize for not having photos of other houses of worship. These 3 are pretty close to each other so I took photos of them (last Fall)

Methodist

Catholic

Lutheran

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/LauraCapo/100_0203.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-12-2007, 12:09 AM

Default College

I wanted to post photos of the college to show you it's not near any real traffic. If you are retired and want to take classes, I highly recommend the Oak Ridge Institute of Continued Learning (ORICL) classes and trips sponsored by Roane State Community College - Oak Ridge campus. This link will take you to the summer session classes and trips (click on activities). In addition to the quality of the subject matter, it's easy to schedule classes around your other activities and travel because some classes can be 1 session, 3 sessions or 8 sessions, for example. The college is not located on either of the two main roads in Oak Ridge and if you are an ORICL student you get to park in the faculty parking lot which is very near the classrooms/lecture hall (no long walks from faraway parking lots).

ORICL - Home Page

Old 07-12-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Melton Hill Lake

Melton Hill Lake

Old 07-12-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Other

Emory Valley Road on a Sunday Morning:

View from my balcony:

Oak Ridge straddles 2 counties - Anderson and Roane. The photos up to this point have been of Oak Ridge in Anderson County. Here's one taken on one of the high spots on the grounds of Rarity Ridge (Oak Ridge in Roane County):

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee