Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 10,906 times

Advertisements

anelson I love it here and you will have one ready made friend in me if ya want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,411 times
Hmm, most of the criticism and opinions are from people who don't live in Fayetteville. Well, I grew up here, worked elsewhere, came back here, and during all that time some homosexuals lived here at all socio-economic levels. Fayetteville reflects the same attitude towards homosexuals that the entire country has, just in fewer numbers. There is a lot more enlightenment and tolerance than say during the 30's and 40's, and everyone has a live and let live philosophy.

Since Fayetteville is a small town, there are few entertainment resources. Huntsville, Chattanooga and Nashville offer a variety of sports events, concerts, theatre, etc., and take about the same time to drive to as any area around NYC or D.C. Most entertainment is done privately in people's homes. That has been true all along.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:18 PM

42 posts, read 129,275 times
I grew up in Fayetteville, TN. I have to agree with Mike in TN that things aren't so nice as everyone is talking about.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,187 times
Well, I'm in the same boat. Considering moving to the area. The job situation will be taken care of, but we are orginally from a small Iowa town, and moved to Grand Rapids, MI. Love it here, but I'm tired of freezing to death. We are adoptive parents, of three multi racial children (they look black) and I'm concerned that we won't be accepted in a southern town, even though we are bible believing conservative folks, and would do all we can to get involved with the community. What do you folks think, Blessing or Curse?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:03 PM

3 posts, read 8,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson36264 View Post
i grew up in a small town and kinda like it that way. however, i am a homosexual - busted out of that closet a long time ago. how will i be accepted in Fayetteville, TN?
For a small, Southern town in the Bible Belt, Fayetteville has a fairly significant homosexual population. If you count county and town, it is surprising how many there are in Lincoln County and Fayetteville. And it is just like any place else--most people are open minded, some people are narrow minded and bigoted, and some people think one's sexual proclivities are private and don't care. The peasants will not tie you to a barbed wire fence, will not rumble with torches and pitch forks, or shrink in horror. How have you dealt with it where you are? It will be probably about the same here.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:11 AM

451 posts, read 1,367,316 times
Mike DD, No one will ostracize your children. There are many multi-racial families around and they manage just fine. Fayetteville is just north of Huntsville, AL. Being a larger city with the Space Center and Redstone Arsenal, Hunstville draws people from all walks of life. I honestly feel that your family will be treated respectfully and will be welcomed.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 PM

76 posts, read 226,702 times
I think people are exposed to the realities of life via television and the internet, so no-one necessarily lives so isolated that these concepts are foreign to them. I'm sure you will find a broad section of every type of personality and proclivity, good and bad.. Its how you'll react to it that matters. I currently live in "The OC", but am not anything like how its portrayed. As a matter of fact, we'll be moving to the Fayetteville area within the next couple of years, God willing. SoCal living is just a little too fast for my taste these days..want to slow down and enjoy the deeper relationships that take a little time to foster. Fayetteville looks all-right to me!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,695 times
fayetteville is great if your into small towns, but as for being gay, i would have to say its half and half. the older ppl are not as accepting but the youth of my great town can be. being bisexual myself, i went thru alot of hardship when i came out. my girlfriend and i were actually very famouse for awhile. it was so hush hush then, that was about 5 years ago. but still ppl remember me from then. this small town will always judge you for your past. thats just how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee