U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:57 AM

3 posts, read 16,979 times

Advertisements

I have my National Registry, and may be moving back to Tennessee (My folks live in Rock Island-outside of McMinnville), so where is the best place to move for good medic employment? Who has a good EMS service with decent pay?

Thanks in advance to those who reply.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 08:22 AM

422 posts, read 1,589,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuemedic812 View Post
I have my National Registry, and may be moving back to Tennessee (My folks live in Rock Island-outside of McMinnville), so where is the best place to move for good medic employment? Who has a good EMS service with decent pay?

Thanks in advance to those who reply.
I've been a Paramedic in Putnam County(Cookeville) for 12 years.
I'll PM you with some info about Putnam & some other counties in middle TN...

firepower

Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 AM

315 posts, read 958,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepower View Post
I've been a Paramedic in Putnam County(Cookeville) for 12 years.
I'll PM you with some info about Putnam & some other counties in middle TN...

firepower
Saw your thread. I also plan on moving up to Tn. probably in about 5 years. I am a EMT, Supervisor, Scheduling cordinator, and also now my main job is a 911 dispatcher. Could someone also give me any info on jobs. I am purchasing land as I speak in Sparta.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 10,464 times
Wink Dam Yankee Paramedic

I'm looking to relocate to Tennesse, maybe before the end of the year...Any info you guys can forward would be greatly appreacated.

I've been a medic for longer than I should admitt. Currenlty I run two paid medic programs on Long Island providing Paramedic flycars for Fire Districts. I'm pretty flexable and would consider just about anything.

Best regards,

Ralph Oswald NREMT-P

Old 07-28-2007, 01:58 PM

2,170 posts, read 7,227,319 times
Rural Metro has the contract for Knox County as well as for surrounding counties. Their website has a listing of jobs available.
Rural/Metro of Tennessee
I've known several EMTs who work for them and they've been happy.
If you want to fly, Lifestar is operated by the University of Tennessee Medical Center which is the regional trauma center.
UT Medical Center - About LIFESTAR

Old 08-05-2007, 10:19 AM

315 posts, read 958,093 times
thanks for the info. Rural Metro was bidding down by us so I am familiar with the company.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 15,827 times
Default are you still looking?

I know you posted this question over a year ago. If you are still looking, i know of a place in Warren County that pays their medics very good. They pay more than surrounding counties.. The company is called Pro-Med, it is now the largest private service in the state of tennessee, so if you worked there and wanted to relocate, there probably would be one not to far!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:39 PM

5,244 posts, read 15,275,536 times
To those looking into EMS, make sure you call and talk to them about your certification first. My husband was a Chief for UMDEMS in Camden NJ in the 80s for a long time. Worked mostly trauma stuff. He's got serious qualifications, including time in Orange County, CA as a Captain in their fire department doing rescue / extraction or whatever you call it. He's the paramedic, not me.

Anyway, TN requires a license that is different that what he had. Don't know the details, but they said he'd have to go back to school for ........................ 2 years?? before they could hire him. He was interviewing at Rutherford County. Great department and the people are wonderful, don't get me wrong. When they interviewed him and they talked about his experienced they were very eager to get him on the department until that came up.

Also, he's been in law enforcement for the last 12 years or so. He kept his certification current, but didn't have on-going training. Because of TN state law the only thing they could offer him was to do transports until he got the 2 year degree. Bummer....

But to those looking here, good luck! It's a wonderful state and you have careers that I have a tremendous amount of respect for. Just don't want anyone to pack their family up and move and then find out like we did, although it turned out to be the best thing for us!

Old 12-17-2008, 08:10 PM

15,997 posts, read 29,899,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
To those looking into EMS, make sure you call and talk to them about your certification first. My husband was a Chief for UMDEMS in Camden NJ in the 80s for a long time. Worked mostly trauma stuff. He's got serious qualifications, including time in Orange County, CA as a Captain in their fire department doing rescue / extraction or whatever you call it. He's the paramedic, not me.

Anyway, TN requires a license that is different that what he had. Don't know the details, but they said he'd have to go back to school for ........................ 2 years?? before they could hire him. He was interviewing at Rutherford County. Great department and the people are wonderful, don't get me wrong. When they interviewed him and they talked about his experienced they were very eager to get him on the department until that came up.

Also, he's been in law enforcement for the last 12 years or so. He kept his certification current, but didn't have on-going training. Because of TN state law the only thing they could offer him was to do transports until he got the 2 year degree. Bummer....

But to those looking here, good luck! It's a wonderful state and you have careers that I have a tremendous amount of respect for. Just don't want anyone to pack their family up and move and then find out like we did, although it turned out to be the best thing for us!
How interesting! My son just left Rutherford County!!! He misses the people very, very much. The fire and EMS folks are great. They are having funding problems like everyone else. Just be careful with some of the THP down there; some of them are not friendly; I'll just leave it at that.

My son took a job here in the Knoxville area with a private ambulance company and they have recently closed the station. All employees were laid off. My son is still in college so this isn't the blow that it was to the people supporting families.

I can't believe that your husband would have to take more schooling with his background. My son had to take national and state tests but received results from both in a matter of days. Gosh, at the most you would think that they would just let him test out.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 AM

5,244 posts, read 15,275,536 times
Quote:
I can't believe that your husband would have to take more schooling with his background.
That's what I said. He could have taught the classes. I asked if he could challenge the bar and they said no, he'd have to take the full course. *sigh* What can ya do? It's a state law; can't fight it. He'd looked into going back and doing the testing, but they had him go for a medical exam in the meantime and found out how extensive his medical problems were and said they couldn't hire him anyway. He was pretty bummed, but it did finally make him realize that he needed to listen to his doctors and retire before he wound up dead or paralyzed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee