Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 02:39 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

[quote=MRDOOWOP;67608]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
........After working & driving in New York City for the past 25 years...I am astonished that someone would think that Knoxville Traffic is Bad ?....I assure you that I would gladly trade Knoxville Traffic ( although I have never driven there ) with New York City Traffic any day of the year !!!......I am really looking forward to retiring to a town ( which I'm glad will be substantially smaller than New York City ) in either Tennessee or Kentucky . I live approximately 32 miles outside of New York City ( in Nassau County ) & until I stopped working in NYC in 2004.....I used to average 2 - 2 1/2 Hours per day driving 32 miles home from NYC ( & that's not counting the morning drive into NYC ) or the fact that you can easily drive around for at least one hour looking for a parking space to parallel park in NYC......I can't wait until I retire to Tennessee or Kentucky and can't wait to drive in Knoxville......And if you don't believe me.......I have a Bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.......

The last time I parallel parked was 1973, the year I took my road test in Riverhead (Suffolk).

If I can't find a parking space at the mall after once around the parking lot during the Christmas season, I just go home.

The entire time I lived on LI (3 different towns in Suffolk County), I never drove into Manhattan and since I have lived in Maryland, have never driven (I take the train if I have to) into DC. Have driven around them/past them but never in them. Every place I've ever worked, lived, shopped or visited with my car have had parking lots or parking garages or driveways or you could just pull up to the curb. I've driven 9 - 12 hour road trips and never had to parallel park. My commute is about a half hour going toward DC (but not in it), 20 minutes when there's no traffic.

When I visited Asheville, NC (about 72,000 people over about 41 square miles and that doesn't include a major tourist invasion in the summer) I thought the traffic was horrendous and that Asheville with its loosey-goosey zoning laws was overly congested but all of the people I met there had moved there from large metropolitan cities (NYC, Newark, Detroit, Boston, Arlington/DC, etc.) and they thought I was nuts. For them, Asheville was a major downsizing, but for me it was more than two times bigger than any place I ever lived in my adult life. It's a matter of perspective.

I'm looking at the Oak Ridge area now for retirement at the end of 2007 - OR is about 28,000 people over 85.5 square miles. It's near a lot of water and parks, is a government/research/technology kind of city and has a really great continuing ed. course offering (like one I've never seen before) for retirees. I'll be visiting it this Fall to check it out.

My co-worker who though Knoxville traffic was bad used to commute to Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 08:59 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,487 times
[quote=MRDOOWOP;67608]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
........After working & driving in New York City for the past 25 years...I am astonished that someone would think that Knoxville Traffic is Bad ?....I assure you that I would gladly trade Knoxville Traffic ( although I have never driven there ) with New York City Traffic any day of the year !!!......I am really looking forward to retiring to a town ( which I'm glad will be substantially smaller than New York City ) in either Tennessee or Kentucky . I live approximately 32 miles outside of New York City ( in Nassau County ) & until I stopped working in NYC in 2004.....I used to average 2 - 2 1/2 Hours per day driving 32 miles home from NYC ( & that's not counting the morning drive into NYC ) or the fact that you can easily drive around for at least one hour looking for a parking space to parallel park in NYC......I can't wait until I retire to Tennessee or Kentucky and can't wait to drive in Knoxville......And if you don't believe me.......I have a Bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.......
When I moved to NYC, I sold my car. If I need one, I lease one. I knew that living in NYC was not going to fun - enjoyable or realistic with a car. If I had to have a car, then I would not have moved here at all.
That said, I went to college in Nashville and had relatives in Western NC. Then after I moved to Western NC, I had to travel back to Nashville on business a few times a year. I can tell you that they have had that section of I-40 in various states of disruption since the mid 80s Sometimes I think it is Tennessee's version of the big dig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee