Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Best places to live with RV garage, hobby shop, no maintenance agreements

Old 08-20-2006, 12:03 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times

Advertisements

I've asked a few questions already and received some very helpful replies. For those that have responded, thank you. However, I need some more help and direction.

Do you remember the early 60's TV show, The Twilight Zone? If so, do you recall the episode where the stressed exec on the train wanted to slow down and settle in an imaginary "Willoughby." Eventually, he was able to escape his life and ended up in a beautiful small town, with old fashioned values, a central park with a bandstand, and cute little shops on the main street, and children going fishing instead of vandalizing the overpasses. That's what my wife and I are seeking.

BTW, if the "Willoughby" reference doesn't make much sense, another place would be Andy Griffith's "Mayberry." That might make a little more sense.

We've been reading the stats on many of the towns in the Tri-City area, but it's getting a little confusing for us. We've found some that are unacceptable because of high crime rates (usu. the bigger ones) and others that show promise with lower crime rates, but we have little concept of their relationship to the overall community. Undoubatedly we're confused because we haven't been to the area yet, but that will be resolved in a little over a month.

How about some direction before we arrive, please? Does such a thing as a "Willoughby" exist in the area? What would be some suggestions for us to look over when we arrive in a few months?

Other things we're looking for would be a home on 2-5 acres with absolutley no CC&R's or road maintenance agreements with the neighbors. We have an RV and the last thing I want is to "be in bed" with a neighbor who has a problem with such a thing. We would hope to be off a county maintained road.

We plan on buying or building a decent home with an RV garage and hobby shop, and would like to be in an area where people care for their properties without directions of somebody's codified rules. A somewhat forrested area would be nice to shield the garage from view so the impact on the neighborhood/community would be minimal.

We would also be pleased, and perhaps prefer, to be outside the town's city limits. A 10-15 minute drive to town doesn't concern us and a longer drive to a bigger city is preferable, especially since the crime stats for the bigger cities dictate some distance from them.

We also don't care about school systems. It means nothing to us as retirees. We just want everything else, respectful people, old-time American values, decent community, and a low crime/safe environment. Is that asking too much?

So again, does anyone have any suggestions before we arrive?

Also, if there are some towns for us, can you direct me to a good real estate company that would cover the area? Just a corporate name would help. We can find their number or address.

Thanks again all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 12:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,653 times
Hi Garth,
Sounds like you're looking for the same things my husband and I are seeking. Currently our short list includes the towns of Unicoi, Erwin, Hampton, and Jonesborough in TN and Middlsboro in KY. Don't know much in the way of specifics yet - traveling there in a week. I'll be glad to post our observations from the trip. Good luck in your search.
VickiH

Old 08-20-2006, 07:26 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Default Ummmm.....

I am really not sure how to say this in the Politically correct, polite way. I really don't want to say anything bad about Unicoi, Erwin, or Hampton, but I feel I need to say something here so you are not disheartened and disillusioned and wast time and money on your trip. How do I put this..............Lets try this....Do you know who Jeff Foxworthy is? These are the towns where he gets his material. These are the areas of TN that do not like to have "flat landers" in their town. Hampton not so much, but I sure wouldn't walk around at night a lone up there. These are NOT Mayberry, poor ol Any Griffin would run. There is also a LOT of land in Erwin and Unicoi away from the towns, this is where the police find the meth labs and marijuana fields. It is a different world in Unicoi CO. Up until a few years ago, and some say it is still there on a back road, a sign that says something about if you are not white, you will be shot. Theses are the least educated, poorest, most related ..to each other, towns in East TN. Again, I am not prejudice, and I am probably not wording this correctly, but I need to express the fact that these areas are NOT maryberry or anything close. These are the towns with board teenagers and they don't go fishing.
You might want to look at Jonesborough or Rogersville, these are closer, to "Mayberry" but a bit on the political side, but still closer to what you might be looking for. Boy I really hope no one gets mad at me for this post, but I really felt I needed to let you know about these areas.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:48 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,102 times
Arrow mbmouse...3 questions...

Thanks for your insight! Thats why I love this site b/c people who KNOW will tell me instead of just what the internet says or states. Thanks- I do not think you said anything inappropriate-I have not looked at these towns...must have been something I saw early on in my searches...but I did hear about Jonesboro and Rogersville. Rogersville seems to be a popular place? Any ways--what about Bledsoe County? Pikeville or surrounding area? What is a "flatlander"? Dunlap? Thanks

Old 08-20-2006, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,653 times
mbmouse - Thanks so much for the info! We will be adjusting our itinerary accordingly.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Don't get me wrong, take the time to drive through Erwin, especially if you like history and antique stores, it can be a very nice place to visit on the weekends.
If you are thinking about any area, take the time to look. My suggestion would be to stop and walk around to the stores, grocery stores too, these are the people who live, work and shop here, say hello to the people, get a feel for the area. One thing I think can tell you more about crime, trust level and such in an area is when you are looking around town, notice things. Things like if people that live there leave there car windows down when they go into a store or do they lock it up tight? Do you see people stopping to talk to there fellow neighbors? Do they say hello to you even though they don't know you? Drive by the public park, stop and sit awhile. Are the moms watching every move there children make? Or are they sitting there talking to a friend and enjoying the day also? If it is the later, they have a trust level there and they don't believe some one is going to hurt there child or offer them drugs.
Again, just my suggestion on a way to decide which area of TN is right for you.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,963 times
I moved from MA to Maryville in May. I was born and raised between Chattanooga and Cleveland, but have been gone for 30 years. I now live 1/8 mile outside the Maryville city limits and never have to lock my doors OR my car. Heck, I can leave the keys in it too without worrying if it will still be there in the morning. Maryville has pretty much anything you need here, and if you want the yuppy stuff (ok, for you PC types, "culture") like symphony and live theater, Knoxville is less than 1/2 hour away. My daughter's first observation of Maryville was "well, if nothing else, at least we won't starve" because of all the restaurants.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:37 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
Thank you for the insight everyone.

Vivki H - I will really enjoy hearing any insights from you. I hope you enjoy your trip.

mbmouse - IMO there is nothing wrong with providing your observations. It is my responsibility to investigate them and choose to discard them or accept them. Without your insight I would be going in without any options, so I thank you for giving me the choice.

The PC that makes you wary of posting your observations is just a weapon that others use to hide truths. Rather than correcting misbehavior, they use PC to kill the messager and supress realities. It does a disservice to everyone including those whose actions are being shielded.

So, thank you. I value your help and it will aid me greatly in coming to a decision, whether I end up agreeing or disagreeing with you or even prefer living next door to Jeff Foxworthy's comedy source.

Again, to everyone else, I appreciate your insights. Each of them is helping me gain an understanding of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee