Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:31 AM

37,740 posts, read 40,793,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschmeer View Post
I was interested in anything I can learn about living in Tennessee. I currently live in Florida. I moved here 2 years ago because it was inexpensive and I have a family to raise. My husband and I hate it here ! Where did the nice people go?

Anyway, we would like a place with good schools and great people. We now have a 4 year old and a brand new baby. My husband is currently getting his CDL and we both have been working. We are both in our early 20's and very hard workers. We prefer that I will be able to work part-time so that I can spent allot of my time with the children. Being near people our age would be nice but it takes a back seat to having a wholesome place for my kids to grow up.

We are not very religious so we would like to find a town that doesn't fully revolve around its churches. We do respect people religions however!

Less expensive housing is a plus but we would work hard if it meant not moving our children around from place to place so we are really trying to find somewhere to start new family roots.

.......We're drowning in Florida! Please help. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks
You might want to start with the Moon Handbooks book:

Tennessee

I purchased mine in the travel section of my bookstore but I have seen it in the library as well. This softcovered book will give you a good general knowledge about the cities and towns (what's in them, festivals, food, music, history, points of interest) in Tennessee. It will also give you a good idea about the geographical layout (different regions) of the state.

Start with the last chapter of the book first, titled - Know Tennessee (climate, economy. flora, fauna, people, environmental issues, history. music, culture)

I believe they make these Moon Handbooks for all of the states and again, you may be able to get it in your local library.

Once you get a good general idea about the state and its 3 regions, you may be able to narrow it down a little more as to the general area within a region where you want to live.

Research tips:

Good schools and great people mean different things to different people. For example, academically speaking, if a person comes from a really lousy school district, they are going to say mediocre school districts are good. But, another person, who is used to top-notch schools will say that same school district is lousy. A person who has never know any other school district can go either way. Once you have narrowed down your towns, you need to research how their schools perform on standardized testing. Luckily for you, Tennessee lets you do this online. This way, you can make up your own mind if the schools are good. Once you have settled on a few towns that meet your academic standards, you need to inquire about school trouble/disciplinary problems.

What are "great people" to you? Are these people who drop in a lot or people who leave you be? Are these people who don't drive too slow in the left lane or are these people who all take it easy on the road? Are these people who wave to you or are these people who stop you on the street and engage you? Are "great people" ones that think anything they do on their property is their own business or are "great people" ones who like neighborhood rules?

If you want to know housing costs, give the price range and criteria. Example: Can I find a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house in area x for under Y number of dollars on 5 acres of land that allows horses?

If you want to know if there are part-time jobs, what kind of jobs are you talking about?

I'm not trying to persuade you one way or another. I'm just saying when you ask questions, try to be more specific so people know what you mean by words like, for example: great, bad, too hot/cold, too much snow, nice, rude, too expensive. These are words that mean different things to different people and you will get poor advice for your situation, if you are not more specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,870,646 times
No problem, I have noticed most of the time the counter people at DMV are not the most helpful or knowledgable. You could look at the state dmv site which will tell you pretty much what I have said, in fact I might suggest that so you are forearmed with the info when you go to dmv.
This is copied from TN dmv site:

Answer: New residents holding a valid out-of-state driver license must obtain a Tennessee driver license no later than thirty (30) days after establishing residency. All out-of-state driver licenses must be surrendered. Tennessee law does not allow a resident of this state to hold more than one valid driver license.

New residents must provide two (2) proofs of their current valid Tennessee residence address (Click here for examples of acceptable proofs of residency.) as well as proof of citizenship or legal presence (Click here for examples of acceptable proof of citizenship) and Social Security Number.

(Note: Related Document - Quick guide of documents need to obtain a Tennessee Driver License. Available in PDF or HTML format in both English and Spanish - ¿Trajo Los Documentos Necesarios? PDF - HTML )

If a new resident brings a valid, out-of-state driver license (or a certified driving record from that state showing the license has not expired), only the vision test is required unless otherwise deemed necessary by the Examiner. However, if the license has expired over six months, all tests are required.

New residents from other countries are required to take full tests: vision, knowledge, and road tests. They will be allowed to keep the license issued by that country.

For more general driver license information (general info, office locations, online services etc.), visit the Driver License Issuance section of our website

Old 07-19-2007, 10:51 AM

63 posts, read 301,664 times
In SoFla for 36 years. Hate it! But have a perfect job, can't be fired or laid off, ironclad and make 77k per year (25 years) plus unreal benefits plus right now they are plunking right around 60k per year in my retirement annuity which will be a little over 600k if I wait five years. Wife in the same system but makes about 35% what i do.

We already have our land in my home State of Tennessee in the east, just want out of here real bad. Family is originally (Tennessee) from Sumner County (under Capt. Cantrell's land grants in 1793), I am from Nashville.

I hate it here, want to go back real bad. I live in Sunrise, it was beautiful at one time. My neighborhood is fraught with problems now and I live in a "better area" known as Welleby in Sunrise. IT IS NOT THE SAME EVERYWHERE. We spend about six weeks in the summer at our place in Crossville, complete difference in attitudes, culture, NO 3rd world driving techniques (I work in Hialeah).

After 36 years we have had enough, my wife of 23 years is Colombian and Tennessee in the East resembles her birthplace. She has been here since 1966 and is even more ready to leave the area. All of her family has left the State and her cousin works for Doral in Nashville. HE stayed here for three months at the Doral in the City of Doral and declared this a damned unfriendly place and transferred back. Said the raise was not worth putting up with the place. Wife picked the lot out for our next house in Tn.

Lowest quality of life you can imagine, Dade was afew years ago listed as having the worst quality of life for any County over one million. In the last ten years that low standard of expectation that consumes Countries to the South (I've been to some of them for extended periods of time, so no self rightious "whiteville livers" preaching to me please) and overtook Miami in the 70's has crept to us in Broward.

I am glad that the housing boom is over and hope it will stop folks here from buying land up in TN. The majority I would like to leave behind, though not all. Very expensive here. Homeowners policy is outrageous, more than many folks pay for their Mortgage and believe me I don't live in a fancy place, middle class. 2/2 homes in our area are on 75X100 lots run about 325k to start. 3/2 around 365k and up. I have been in my place since I bought it for 86k in 2001.

I think $15.00 an hour in Crossville will do you alot better and go a hell of alot further than twice that here.

Last edited by robivi3; 07-19-2007 at 11:03 AM..

Old 07-19-2007, 06:36 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,365,234 times
Thumbs up Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No problem, I have noticed most of the time the counter people at DMV are not the most helpful or knowledgable. You could look at the state dmv site which will tell you pretty much what I have said, in fact I might suggest that so you are forearmed with the info when you go to dmv.
This is copied from TN dmv site:

Answer: New residents holding a valid out-of-state driver license must obtain a Tennessee driver license no later than thirty (30) days after establishing residency. All out-of-state driver licenses must be surrendered. Tennessee law does not allow a resident of this state to hold more than one valid driver license.

New residents must provide two (2) proofs of their current valid Tennessee residence address (Click here for examples of acceptable proofs of residency.) as well as proof of citizenship or legal presence (Click here for examples of acceptable proof of citizenship) and Social Security Number.

(Note: Related Document - Quick guide of documents need to obtain a Tennessee Driver License. Available in PDF or HTML format in both English and Spanish - ¿Trajo Los Documentos Necesarios? PDF - HTML )

If a new resident brings a valid, out-of-state driver license (or a certified driving record from that state showing the license has not expired), only the vision test is required unless otherwise deemed necessary by the Examiner. However, if the license has expired over six months, all tests are required.

New residents from other countries are required to take full tests: vision, knowledge, and road tests. They will be allowed to keep the license issued by that country.

For more general driver license information (general info, office locations, online services etc.), visit the Driver License Issuance section of our website
I guess that's correct.Thank

Old 03-25-2008, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 29,261 times
Thumbs down Tennessee to Florida =(

Ok...My child started this year in Grainger County Schools in East TN.
She was doing AWESOME! One grade away from honor roll.We moved here Feb 8th and now after a meeting with her teachers,I am told that she will be
retained.I feel TN schools are NOT up to par.I would seriously reconsider moving there.My daughter is absoultely crushed and now is going to have self esteem issues as well

Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM

665 posts, read 1,920,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkysPrincess View Post
Ok...My child started this year in Grainger County Schools in East TN.
She was doing AWESOME! One grade away from honor roll.We moved here Feb 8th and now after a meeting with her teachers,I am told that she will be
retained.I feel TN schools are NOT up to par.I would seriously reconsider moving there.My daughter is absoultely crushed and now is going to have self esteem issues as well
Did they give you a reason why?I mean from honor roll to being retained seems drastic. Do you have a choice to push her ahead? Is there no other option? I wish you the best.I am interested because in 2 yrs my grandaughter will be going to a Grainger county school, she misses the cutoff for 5, her b-day is Dec 27.I wish you luck!

Old 03-29-2008, 12:27 AM

6 posts, read 21,952 times
Why do I hear this hate so much for living in Florida? 15 years+ ago it was al of our dream. Yes, I've done both, and now planted in Sevier co., TN. Love it, but what changed since I was in FL since 1994? East TN is the calmest and most secure part of the State. Jobs are growing in Knox County, Blount County. Sevierville and Pigeon Forge are very touristy, but also a welcome for the hospitality & restaurant industries. I live here. Retail jobs are apparent too. Pay is minimal in Sevier County for a labor job. Qualified builders, plumbers could do quite well. Get to know your neighbors and talk to everyone...it's who you know. Knoxville is only 23 miles away. They have a more industrial job market, and higher wages. Chapman Hwy. will take you straight there from Sevierville. From a huge city north, to south Florida, I came back to East Tennessee, and I do not regret a day of its' beauty and charm. You don't have to be religious; just pretend you are faithful and kind and show up once in a while - like at Christmas. These people really have a lot of love to give.
So tell me that Florida is not like this?, so I don't regret staying there in 1994. Thanks, and good luck!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 PM

851 posts, read 2,448,751 times
[quote=chick-racing;3288700]Why do I hear this hate so much for living in Florida? 15 years+ ago it was al of our dream. Yes, I've done both, and now planted in Sevier co., TN. Love it, but what changed since I was in FL since 1994? East TN is the calmest and most secure part of the State. Jobs are growing in Knox County, Blount County. Sevierville and Pigeon Forge are very touristy, but also a welcome for the hospitality & restaurant industries. I live here. Retail jobs are apparent too. Pay is minimal in Sevier County for a labor job. Qualified builders, plumbers could do quite well. Get to know your neighbors and talk to everyone...it's who you know. Knoxville is only 23 miles away. They have a more industrial job market, and higher wages. Chapman Hwy. will take you straight there from Sevierville. From a huge city north, to south Florida, I came back to East Tennessee, and I do not regret a day of its' beauty and charm. You don't have to be religious; just pretend you are faithful and kind and show up once in a while - like at Christmas. These people really have a lot of love to give.
So tell me that Florida is not like this?, so I don't regret staying there in 1994. Thanks, and good luck![/quoTE

The Goverment needs to put up somes walls to stop third world counties from taking over. Or at least make them obey the laws. But we wouldn't want to step on anyones toes now would we, so the americans just need to adjust and deal with it.They stand on the side of the streets all day long. It used to be a few here and there, but now it's growing. They are everywhere. And since they stand around all day waiting on someone to pick them up to give them some work. They use the bathroom where ever they are, throw trash on the ground even if there is a trash can a couple of feet away, sleep on benches. So NO, Florida is NOT what it used to be. It has been going down hill for the last 12 years. I have lived in FL all my life and I am ready to get out of here.
Sorry, just had to vent. OK, I feel better now. Calgone no I meant Tennessee take me away.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:36 AM

849 posts, read 2,944,674 times
We currently live in Florida, and we have seen the growth. The area we bought in 12 years ago and at that time was semi-rural, has literally become its own city. We went from one gas station and a Publix supermarket strip center to 3 Publix, gas stations galore, a Lowes, as much fast food as their is on the planet, and lots of traffic lights. Along with that came two high schools built about 4 miles apart, as well as several elementary and middle schools. Now I know many have on this board are looking to not have this type of growth, and in time, we hope to move to a slower pace. But for raising a young family into their teen years, I wouldn't have changed it. You got to take what you get, and make it the best that you can.

One reason my wife and I will eventually move is we want to experience the change of seasons again, both being from the midwest. In Florida, we just don't get enough cool weather, though this time of year, January to March, is the best. But we don't get the change in topography, we don't get significant fall colors in less you have a red maple in your yard, we don't get that dusting of snow, etc. We are really looking forward to that again.

Another reason we want to relocate at some point is the beauty of the area and the people. My breath is taken away, everytime we drive through the mountains, and I can dream about that drive into work everyday. I will gladly give up the conveniences we have to keep it the way it is and just enjoy the view. The people we have met in Georgia and tennessee have been fantastic. A few years ago we vacationed in Blue Ridge, Ga. Driving through the hills, we would constantly get the one finger(the good finger! )wave from the steering wheel, and we just fell in love with that. These people didn't know us, but all the same, we were greeted and treated kindly. As we visited other areas in Trenton, Ga, the outskirts of Chattanooga, etc, we have received the same warmth of feeling. It will be a slower pace sure, but this is what we are looking for.

All in all, we have enjoyed our time, wherever we have lived, tried to connect with our neighbors, and make the best of what is dealt. We have no regrets about living in Florida, but we do look forward to our next chapter, and being good neighbors again when we settle again.

Now you can take those hurricanes and...

Old 03-30-2008, 07:26 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,341,090 times
Grizzly, what is your timetable for moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee