Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 AM

59 posts, read 284,687 times

Advertisements

As of July 1st, smoking is banned in restaurants and most other public places in Tennessee. At last, at last. The closest restaurant to us had air so thick with tobacco smoke that it was unbearable. Now we'll be able to try their fried catfish supper. Yum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 06:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
That is good news! I smoke unfortunately but I can't stand to sit in a restaurant and suck down smoke while I eat. I definately don't mind going outside when the urge hits and have done so for years, even in places that allow smoking. Even when I am outside like at festivals and such I try to move to the side, out of the way so I am not in the middle of a big crowd blowing smoke everywhere. I don't buy into the second hand smoke is going to kill you immediately thing but I do know some are allergic (like my wife) and try to be considerate just like not dousing one's self with cologne or perfume before going to an enclosed area.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:43 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
That is good news! I smoke unfortunately but I can't stand to sit in a restaurant and suck down smoke while I eat. I definately don't mind going outside when the urge hits and have done so for years, even in places that allow smoking. Even when I am outside like at festivals and such I try to move to the side, out of the way so I am not in the middle of a big crowd blowing smoke everywhere. I don't buy into the second hand smoke is going to kill you immediately thing but I do know some are allergic (like my wife) and try to be considerate just like not dousing one's self with cologne or perfume before going to an enclosed area.
Ask Beverly Sills a non-smoker dying of lung cancer.Famous opera singer.Maybe??

Old 07-02-2007, 07:32 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Or the late Dana Reeve? It wasn't immediate, sure, but I'm glad to see the new law go into effect just the same.

There are places my family will go now that were off limits before. Everyone wins.

Jimj-

If only all smokers were as considerate as you!!

Old 07-02-2007, 12:57 PM

141 posts, read 981,334 times
Headed to Waffle House personally, as soon as I am sure there's an all-clear.

I am doing a happy dance that this law finally passed!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:03 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post
Headed to Waffle House personally, as soon as I am sure there's an all-clear.

I am doing a happy dance that this law finally passed!
Waffle House, all-clear, OMG, my sides are hurting from laughing so hard!!!! What a great post!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:09 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
2nd hand smoke does cause tons of illnesses, diseases, and cancer. Just FYI

Does anyone have a link that explains the law? I know these laws usually do not apply to places that only let in 21 year olds and up, or that are considered "bars"??

Old 07-02-2007, 01:18 PM

8 posts, read 31,568 times
That's good to hear! Smoke free restaurants was one of the few things I was going to miss about Florida, but looks like I won't have to worry now.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:23 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Don't get too excited about the new law. Although it took effect on July 1, it won't be enforced until October 1. I'd be very surprised if many restaurants even made the change before October 1.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Don't get too excited about the new law. Although it took effect on July 1, it won't be enforced until October 1. I'd be very surprised if many restaurants even made the change before October 1.
Hmmm, practically every place that I have visited in the past week that had allowed smoking in the past now has signs on their doors stating that they will be in compliance with the state law effective July 1. I am in east Tennessee, where are you Strumpeace?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee