Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:51 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times

Advertisements

Well, okay. Now, you were telling us about the Belk in Cookeville . . .

;-)

Old 07-19-2007, 04:07 PM

26 posts, read 168,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Did I read that correctly? You don't like Tennessee because there are too many trees? ??

As far as "not enough culture" well you're going to have to explain that one. Tennessee is full of culture. Hosting quilt shows is culture. Neighborhood potlucks are culture. Appalachian craft is culture. Walking horse shows are culture. Carter Fold near Kingsport is culture. The storytelling festival in Jonesborough is culture. Lady Vols basketball is culture. The cornbread festival in South Pittsburg is culture. If anything, Tennessee oozes with local culture. Tennesseans are justifiably proud of their culture.

Now, if you are saying that there's not enough NORTHERN culture in Tennessee, well, that is understandable. But to make a ridiculous comment that Tennessee has NOT ENOUGH culture is just misleading.
HAHAHA, that's culture? I mean like ethnicity. Oh ya, I forgot too many darn bugs.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Don't forget NASCAR! Now THAT is culture

Old 07-19-2007, 04:14 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffygirl View Post
HAHAHA, that's culture? I mean like ethnicity. Oh ya, I forgot too many darn bugs.
Yes, that is culture. It may not be the kind of culture that you are looking for, but it is culture nonetheless.

But what exactly is "ethnicity culture"?

Old 07-19-2007, 04:16 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Don't forget NASCAR! Now THAT is culture
How could I forget NASCAR?! I honestly don't know why it's a "sport" and I can't stand hearing about it while I'm watching SportsCenter, but it is most definitely part of our culture!

Old 07-19-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yes, that is culture. It may not be the kind of culture that you are looking for, but it is culture nonetheless.

But what exactly is "ethnicity culture"?
Ethnic culture is the different backgrounds we come from. I am hungarian, so I would like to see hungarian culture. And Polish and (the proper chinese, not the chinese you get here) indian, greek, german, and italian. So on and so forth.

I think I am just spoiled. Being raised in Ontario, you don't run short of any ethnic foods. I can go anywhere and find a hungarian restaurant, or deli's that have many different meats. Heck the Danforth downtown Toronto is Greek town. It's amazing. I was looking for some souvlaki here, And all they have is Gyros...that's goat. Nasty...I don't get how you can be greek and serve something totally different. But it's because of the usa. Chinese is 'americanized' here in the usa. It is VERY super different than in Canada. I called idian restaurants here and asked if they had rotie. Which is a peta type thing, just about 10 times the size of it, and it is filled with different kinds of curi. Ie, chicken, beef, etc. Well they told me that a rotie was just a rotie, no filling. So I was like AHHH I need my fix. It is because where I grew up I was exposed to much culture, and I am thankful for it. But I am having a hard time here because it is so very different. And I would move back if it wasn't for the cold weather in the winter, and the fact that my spouse makes good money here. In Canada we would both have to work to live, here I don't have to work.

We are moving to Arizona which is great. There are actually deli's there that serve some of what I am looking for. Until then, I guess I could just have bbq chicken alot.

Oh, and boy do I miss so much of the normal stuff you can buy in the grocery store... IE, diana bbq sauce, and fresh buns out of bins, where you can select how many you want..1, or 12. And some of the meats in the little deli's in the store and also things like hot peppers, not just chilli but the real hungarian hot peppers and the like. Also in jars you can find pickled peppers that have carrots and cauliflower and hot banana peppers in them. It is just not the same here. Oh and the chips. I miss Lays ketchup, bbq doritos, all dressed and sour cream and bacon especially.

Don't get me 'too' wrong, Tennessee is great, just not for people like me, who are looking for that 'spice' in their life. The spice that is ethnic culture.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
If I am reading your post correctly, you really don't want "culture variety" what you are really looking for is a variety or ethnicly different restaurants.
If that is so important to you, which everyone has that important to them "thing" about where they live, did you look up on line the restaurants in the town you moved to, before you moved there to see if it was even available?
I know I would LOVE to have a Colchester Bakery here in TN which is a bakery in Colchester CT that had the BEST breads and pastries anywhere. But quality of life is so much more important to me than fresh bread. But to not like a place and classify the whole place as having "no ethnic culture" because you can't find food like or cooked like you are used too....I just don't think that is a fair statement and I honestly think you are doing a dis service to those who are looking at your new town and information for that town, they might like gyros, just like they are made here.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:25 PM

Right, which is why it was all my opinion. Something we are entitled to. The person or persons moving here wanted peoples opionion. And I enjoyed giving it.
Also, not just foods, but the cultures period, dances, and festivals. And No I had not looked it up before hand because I didn't think America was THAT different from Canada. And you never know...the people wanting to move to Tennessee may not have thought about it either

Old 07-19-2007, 06:33 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
That's alright. Most of us are not too crazy about Canada.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Funny story. My step-mother is from Long Island and was "so over" the trees in Tennessee. Lovely woman. I guess this is just not for her. Who would think that too many trees would be a threat to someone?

Gyros is goat? No. Gyros is lamb. I love me some Gyros.

Do I want a lobster roll or some clam fritters? Of course I do. But I knew I was not going to get that in Tennessee. I can get fried okra and fried green tomatoes and collard greens. Good enough for me. I want the other stuff, I can make it myself or take a vacation.

You did not do good research. Your bad.

Half my family is in Canada. You don't like it here in America, well, then, you need to go back. You will be much happier. I hear what you are saying, and you are right. Yes, look it up. We are that much different. It is what makes the United States of America great and the great state of Tennessee unique. Don't come here if you don't want what we have. We can keep it to ourselves.

Both my grandparents died in Canada. My grandmother was born and raised there. Good luck to you. But Canada has lots of trees. Lots of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee