Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:13 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times

Advertisements

Lock your doors! I don't care where you live or how nice it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Sounds like you need to set up some target practice out toward the pasture. Make sure your No Trespassing signs are up and fire away.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
I think we'll definitely up the target practice to daily. We've got calls in to some local lock smiths about re-keying the locks for us. We don't have any place to go for the rest of the week so it's not a big deal right now. One of us will always be home. And I'm not the least worried about while we sleep. With 13 dogs in the house, if the wind blows we know. And we both keep our handguns on our night stands and the shotgun on the dresser on my side of the bed. He (or she) with the best aim gets the shotgun! LOL Between us we've got enough training professionally that I don't worry about our safety. What I do worry about is the dogs if we're gone. We'd taken five of them with us that night but still had 8 at home - the four big dogs and 4 chis. I'd never be able to handle something happening to them.

As for who it is, I'm guessing one of the local meth heads. Not sure if that's who's been in the pasture watching. The place they've been laying only has a view of our daughter's old room which made me wonder if it was her ex boyfriend that came back to town to visit his grandparents two doors down. She's living in Florida now and he may not have been told. I'm wondering if he's been there hoping to catch a glimpse of her.

Either way, we're both on alert. We've not gone anywhere without our guns at our side since he found someone has been in the pasture. You'd think anyone watching us would know that and avoid us. That's what makes me think it's two different people.

Will keep you updated. Oi!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 PM

634 posts, read 1,420,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I think we'll definitely up the target practice to daily. We've got calls in to some local lock smiths about re-keying the locks for us. We don't have any place to go for the rest of the week so it's not a big deal right now. One of us will always be home. And I'm not the least worried about while we sleep. With 13 dogs in the house, if the wind blows we know. And we both keep our handguns on our night stands and the shotgun on the dresser on my side of the bed. He (or she) with the best aim gets the shotgun! LOL Between us we've got enough training professionally that I don't worry about our safety. What I do worry about is the dogs if we're gone. We'd taken five of them with us that night but still had 8 at home - the four big dogs and 4 chis. I'd never be able to handle something happening to them.

As for who it is, I'm guessing one of the local meth heads. Not sure if that's who's been in the pasture watching. The place they've been laying only has a view of our daughter's old room which made me wonder if it was her ex boyfriend that came back to town to visit his grandparents two doors down. She's living in Florida now and he may not have been told. I'm wondering if he's been there hoping to catch a glimpse of her.

Either way, we're both on alert. We've not gone anywhere without our guns at our side since he found someone has been in the pasture. You'd think anyone watching us would know that and avoid us. That's what makes me think it's two different people.

Will keep you updated. Oi!

Keep up with your guns because guns are what thieves look for, and if you target practice on your property then they know you have them. I have a neighbor about two miles up in the sticks that was broken into while he and his wife left for a few minutes. They took a couple things of value, but didn't have time to find his guns that were hidden. About two weeks later he had to have an operation and he and his wife were gone a full day, and the thieves came back and found his guns. That tells us that it was the guns the thieves were wanting in the first place. It really hurt the fella as some of the guns had been handed down to him by his dad and grand-dad too. Sad shame.

Last edited by RS-1080; 02-08-2011 at 07:45 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
I think I'm going to leave the bedroom door open from now on. If they want the guns they've got to not just deal with a room full of chihuahuas, but three pitbulls and a shepherd. There's always the possibility they come with a gun but chances are they'd go to a house with no dogs to get a gun if that's what they're after. I know one of the dogs would probably adore anyone that broke in. Another may run away but may go after someone, I'm not sure. The shepherd will just sit in her chair and watch. But the other pittie I know will eat anyone that comes through the door. We do put them up when we're gone. Hopefully with them not in the open and the dogs having access to the entire house now instead of just the main living area, they may move on to an easier target.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:49 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
I think I'm going to leave the bedroom door open from now on. If they want the guns they've got to not just deal with a room full of chihuahuas, but three pitbulls and a shepherd. There's always the possibility they come with a gun but chances are they'd go to a house with no dogs to get a gun if that's what they're after. I know one of the dogs would probably adore anyone that broke in. Another may run away but may go after someone, I'm not sure. The shepherd will just sit in her chair and watch. But the other pittie I know will eat anyone that comes through the door. We do put them up when we're gone. Hopefully with them not in the open and the dogs having access to the entire house now instead of just the main living area, they may move on to an easier target.
I think that's an excellent solution.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:40 AM

712 posts, read 1,488,007 times
It would be effective IF (and only if) they were indeed casing your house and knew about your dogs. While it seems in your instance that this may be the case, everyone needs to know that it is not common for burglars to stake out a house. Dogs are generally effective once the burglar gets inside, but not effective at deterring them breaking into the home in the first place. More effective solutions are:

-Increase visibility to your home. Your home seems to be on a large piece of land, which are the most attactive targets (contrary to what most believe). The more visible your home is to neighbors, the better.

-Increase lighting and keep your blinds to your home open- for the same reasons as above.

- A no tresspassing sign, security system sign or a fake security camera in a high visibility area does alot of good. Again, having a real security camera or system will help catch them later, but a fake one will have the same deterrent effect.

These are evidence based techniques that have been shown to be effective. The same concepts that businesses use to design their buildings. There are many more, but most are individual to your circumstance and is difficult to recommend without seeing the area.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
My shepard is the one that would attack a stranger. The pitts I doubt would do anything but bark. The hound would probably jump on them and knock them down. Mine are on the outside so a person probabley wouldnt make it to the door.

Most ppl are more afraid of my big gobbler than my dogs tho.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My shepard is the one that would attack a stranger. The pitts I doubt would do anything but bark. The hound would probably jump on them and knock them down. Mine are on the outside so a person probabley wouldnt make it to the door.

Most ppl are more afraid of my big gobbler than my dogs tho.

Turkeys are mean!

Old 02-09-2011, 12:11 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
How scary! I'm so sorry that happened to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee