Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 03:51 PM

32 posts, read 125,591 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine was told by a Rutherford County Realtor that the state of Tennessee provides full college funding for high school and college students who maintain a GPA of 3.0 or greater. Does anyone know if this is true? Or do you think there was a miscommunication? I have been researching TN for over a year and a half, for relocation purposes, and I have never come across this information.

If anyone can confirm or clarify this for me I would really appreciate it because this sounds too good to be true. But if it is, that's huge feather in Tennessee's cap because there is nothing like that here in CA.

Thanks in advance for the help!

JKSGRLS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 03:56 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,126,151 times
I don't think it's necessarily full coverage, there's a maximum amount (maybe $4000 a year). But you're basically correct. There was some effort made last year to lower the GPA that has to be maintained once the student starts college but it didn't go through. I think they have to maintain a 2.75 GPA now (but you could be right about it being 3.0). Not having kids, I haven't kept up with this a lot. Others here with kids would know more about this than I would.

If you want to Google for more information, look for Tennessee Hope Scholarships.

By the way, they have money going begging. There's millions available for students who qualify.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:03 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times
That's right, alleycat, it's not quite a full scholarship, but it's close. And if the student has higher grades, the additional academic scholarships will essentially make it free. I have students here at U.T. who are making a pile of money by staying in-state and receiving all the academic scholarships available. One even bought a car with her extra scholarship money.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:06 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,651,603 times
wow! we can cash out the Upromise account and have a party now!!! Kobe beef burgers for everyone at the TN Forum BBQ!!!

if my wife reads this post...please disregard

Old 07-20-2007, 04:27 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,368,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I think they have to maintain a 2.75 GPA now (but you could be right about it being 3.0).
Wow, 2.75 is really low! When I was in school-- back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the Earth--students with GPAs of 3.75 were being passed over for academic scholarships. It was very, very competitive. Have times really changed that much? If so, wow!

Old 07-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Wow, 2.75 is really low! When I was in school-- back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the Earth--students with GPAs of 3.75 were being passed over for academic scholarships. It was very, very competitive. Have times really changed that much? If so, wow!
Well, this is not an academic scholarship in the traditional sense. This was started to give all good (but not necessarily great) students from Tennessee a chance to attend college, regardless of their family's income level. There are still traditional academic scholarship available for bright students.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:48 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times
Quote:
Well, this is not an academic scholarship in the traditional sense. This was started to give all good (but not necessarily great) students from Tennessee a chance to attend college, regardless of their family's income level. There are still traditional academic scholarship available for bright students.
That's exactly it. Plus, it's a way to keep Tennessee's best and brightest in Tennessee schools. I've seen a huge difference here at U.T., and my friends who teach at Tennessee Tech and ETSU say the same thing. Not only are students going to college who probably would not have otherwise gone to college, but fewer of the really smart students are leaving the state to go to places like UVA, or UNC.

I have several students here who are here only because of the great financial deal they're getting. With the Hope Scholarship and their various academic scholarships, they don't have to spend a single dime out of their own pocket for their college education.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
That's amazing; it really is. How progressive is that? Way to go, Tennessee!

Old 07-20-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
That's amazing; it really is. How progressive is that? Way to go, Tennessee!
Now (don't tell JMT) . . . but if we could just keep UT from raising their tuition faster than medical insurance costs, it would be great.

Good thing I'm not governor of the state. The first thing I'd try to do it is dismantle the separate UT board.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Now (don't tell JMT) . . . but if we could just keep UT from raising their tuition faster than medical insurance costs, it would be great.
Ohhhh... don't get me started on health insurance. I'm self-employed and I could probably start my own country on what I pay every month.

UT was really cheap when I went there. Now, I paid a pretty penny to go away to grad school, but undergrad was less than what my friends pay to get their kids in preschool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: