Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:42 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that people who abuse animals are just one step from abusing people. If the ASPCA isn't present in those areas to take action, and the taxes are too low to protect the animals, then maybe this is something I would consider before investing my time and money. I could not live next door to someone who abuses their animals in a community culture that won't protect them. It is a reflection of the community standards, or lack of, so knowing that even a respected agency like the ASPA isn't involved is also a reflection of the community. In San Francisco a few years ago a law suit was brought because of the way fish and turtles where kept in filth in some "grocery" stores. For me, I want to live in a community where abuse is not the accepted norm. Mrs. 1885 has stood up for what is right has my respect for her courage and I would be very proud to have her as my neighbor.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:47 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
It is a reflection of the community standards, or lack of
It's not that simple.

A major city like SF is VERY different from rural Tennessee.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
A couple years back I tried to get in touch with the ASPCA (I can't remember the exact event, but it had to do with the humane society in Crossville) and there was nothing they could do for us, because they are not in the area. That's what they told us.
Our area pound has had lots of trouble and has been shut down. There was a recent incident where a worker shot one of the dogs. The local politicians really don't care either.
The mind set for the dog and cat populations is daunting. I have had many people ask (when we had our boarding kennel) if we had a dog they could mate with their dog. They didn't care what it was just as long as it was a small dog. I was asked this on more than one occasion. There is also a misconception that some people feel like their dog should have a litter before they get them fixed. I never did understand that reasoning. I can't say it's just a TN problem, but I didn't see this type of problem as much in FL. People do dump their pets in FL too.
I really don't understand how there can be such a lack of basic respect for animals regardless of whether they are our pets. We all share the same planet but they suffer the most from our poor behavior. I'm glad there are people who are in a position to stand up and protest the abuse. Remember the politicians who don't get it at election time.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:02 AM

851 posts, read 2,458,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
I guess it all goes back to the old saying. You can make some of the people happy some of the time but you can't make all the people happy all of the time. Or something like that.
Some people aren't happy where they are so they move, then they are upset because it isn't like what they are used to or like where they came from. Well HELLOooOoo.... who fault is that??
And if Tennessee was for everyone, then it would be over crowded and not the beautiful place it is. Then I would have left FL for only 5 other reasons instead of 6.
All I can say is thank goodness it isn't for everyone.

LFHG - I hope that you find what you are looking for but only you can make that decision. Just do your research and come visit as much as you can.
IMO - the people are friendly and wave as we pass. But most kind of stay to themselves but where I live in the country most people have a lot of acreage. So it's good to get involved with something (groups, church, something). Might be different if you live in a subdivision.

Good luck to you.
I meant ( WHG ) not LFHG sorry.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:12 PM

23 posts, read 34,113 times
OH that is ok! Thanks Niota - @ Heidi, I agree but unfortunately wherever anyone chooses to live it's a person not the place.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Unfortunately it is all over not just Tennessee. You just may not hear about it or see it as much in the bigger cities as you do in the country.
When we lived in FL you used to hear about animal abuse all the time. Really mean things. Someone tied 3 little kittens’ feet with rope so tight that the vet had to amputate all four feet and 2 of the kittens died. There are some sick people in the world. And it is very sad. But I'm just saying that it happens all over the place. I'm not saying that it is ok at all. But Tennessee isn't on the list by itself... Maybe some areas are worse than others, I don't know. If you live in a subdivision, maybe you wouldn't see it as much. And I'm not saying to turn your head just saying animal abuse is a hugh battle.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 02-12-2011, 09:35 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Unfortunately it is all over not just Tennessee. You just may not hear about it or see it as much in the bigger cities as you do in the country.

When we lived in FL you used to hear about animal abuse all the time. Really mean things. Someone tied 3 little kittens’ feet with rope so tight that the vet had to amputate all four feet and 2 of the kittens died. There are some sick people in the world. And it is very sad. But I'm just saying that it happens all over the place. I'm not saying that it is ok at all. But Tennessee isn't on the list by itself... Maybe some areas are worse than others, I don't know. If you live in a subdivision, maybe you wouldn't see it as much. And I'm not saying to turn your head just saying animal abuse is a hugh battle.
I grew up in the Tampa Bay area and lived in Nashville for 10 of the last 12 years..

I remember hearing a story not too long ago about a man that robbed this families house in (I want to say Apopka but it was some town in central Florida) He took everything of value in the house and before he left he turned the stoves burners on high and threw the families cat on it..

There are some sick people in the world but I can say without doubt that there are absurd amounts of animal cruelty in Florida..

Old 02-13-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I grew up in the Tampa Bay area and lived in Nashville for 10 of the last 12 years..

I remember hearing a story not too long ago about a man that robbed this families house in (I want to say Apopka but it was some town in central Florida) He took everything of value in the house and before he left he turned the stoves burners on high and threw the families cat on it..

There are some sick people in the world but I can say without doubt that there are absurd amounts of animal cruelty in Florida..

Yes there are. Some stories I didn't even want to tell. I was just trying to say it's NOT just Tennessee as it was sounding in some of the posts.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Yes there are. Some stories I didn't even want to tell. I was just trying to say it's NOT just Tennessee as it was sounding in some of the posts.
I think some people were saying that because TN. has low taxes there isn't money to shelter the animals. There are many people all over the world who don't think of an animal as blessing and do treat them badly. I've seen news stories that are very sickening. I read some reports about the animal testing done in labs done by self-righteous people which is also distressing. As I recall, Peta had some issues in N.C. regarding their destroying animals while claiming to be an organization that protects them. In my retirement, I would not be able to live next door to someone who is permitted to abuse anything. I regret that I haven't been able to do more for them so my estate is going to the Humane Society and World Wildlife Fund.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I can't say enough how horrible I found people to treat animals, and sometimes human beings, in Florida. It was revolting.

I lived in a very rural area in Knox County, before we bought a house in Knoxville, and I saw nothing like that.

Also, I have to say that some of the things said on here (not anything regarding pets) was way over the top. I consider it to be stirring up trouble, very, very untrue, and trollish. It really makes me wonder what is truly going on.

Carry on with your regularly scheduled programming...however, if some of you are going to publish hearsay on this forum, I would like to see actual sources.

Once again, this has nothing to do with animals or pets. I'm talking about other accusations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee