Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:28 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingHigherGround View Post
A while back I posted a thread asking questions about moving to east TN. Although I don't claim to have much life experience as of yet, and perhaps might sound a bit off at times, forgive me, but researching and reading others' thoughts on moving here - seems to be a wonderful notion. Yet I see that others are unhappy and feel that they made a mistake? By "expecting" to have a certain "life" in TN? Is it a lack of understanding that people are people regardless of where they are from? ... Is it that new residents expect a down home southern country life, with a cabin and neighboors that invite you to bbq's, and wash your car when it's dirty while you're sleeping? Negative comments as referring to some parts as redneck country in a derogatory way? Corruption? Personally, I don't see the negative and don't expect anything except beautiful scenery with it's bad hair days, people who are more intouch with family and their culture, and a 'respect me and I'll respect you' attitude. Am I wrong?
I have lived in east TN off and on since 1998. I love the area, most of the people, the scenery, the views, the pace of life, the friendliness, the small town, and the low taxes

If you move to a place that is very different from where you are from you can't expect it to be the same. As long as you don't feel a need to change the local people you will be fine. I really enjoy the area that I am in. Of course you will always have some bad apples but people are people and that will happen anywhere.

I don't think any one place is all good or is all bad...just like people. The best we can do is treat people the way you want to be treated. If that isn't enough for them then you need to move on to the next person

On the subject of animals I haven't seen any physical abuse, thankfully. There are a lot more outside animals here than where I grew up. A lot of them are hunting dogs or barn cats.

Some things that are hard for some people to deal with and specifically why some people choose my area is the lack of regulations and restrictions. Some people are horrified by the junk on some of the rural properties. While I may not like it, I know I am in an area where we can do as we please, and I don't want that to change. I live here for the freedom. just like everyone else. If I wanted deed restrictions then I should move back to FL. TN will not be for everyone just like I would hate to live in NYC. You'll just have to see if it is a good fit for you.

Good luck to you in whatever you do.

P.S. My hair loves TN, lol.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 PM

23 posts, read 34,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I can't say enough how horrible I found people to treat animals, and sometimes human beings, in Florida. It was revolting.

I lived in a very rural area in Knox County, before we bought a house in Knoxville, and I saw nothing like that.

Also, I have to say that some of the things said on here (not anything regarding pets) was way over the top. I consider it to be stirring up trouble, very, very untrue, and trollish. It really makes me wonder what is truly going on.

Carry on with your regularly scheduled programming...however, if some of you are going to publish hearsay on this forum, I would like to see actual sources.

Once again, this has nothing to do with animals or pets. I'm talking about other accusations.
Well I hope you're not referring to me ... my purpose of the thread was as it was in the original, I've heard good things and bad things about TN from locals, blogs, threads, TV, overhearing tourists, and my own neighboors. I've only experienced good things in TN, but I want the viewpoint of all, the experiences good and bad.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:46 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
There are a lot of threads just like this one if you take a look in the archives. This one is starting to go haywire so we will close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee