Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,457 times

Advertisements

We have been in Tennessee since 1975 and it has been a challenge to fit in. southerners tend to think the accent we carry is somewhat brash and unfriendly. I too moved from central California and I am still adjusting. But, would I go back to CA? Not without a triple increase in pay and my house on the Tuolumne River. You get so much more for your money here. Moderator cut: cut . Many choose East TN for the mountains, but you get a lot more for your money in West Tennessee. You might try McMinnville. Most people don't really care about your accent so long as they see you really are making an effort to fit into the south. And yes, peoplpe really do wave as they rive by and sit on the front porch and wave at passers by. Mostly in the very rural areas.

Last edited by Beretta; 01-19-2009 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: sorry, no real estate advertising

Old 09-03-2006, 02:42 AM

11 posts, read 67,225 times
I'm so glad the responses were positive about Californians because I, myself, recently moved to Middle Tennessee from Southern California. I did not come here to pay cash for a house and increase the home prices. I did not own a house in California to sell. Who can afford one there?? My husband and I came here seeking a better environment to raise my son in. Californians seem to have lost sight of morals and values and you can forget about religion - they don't have any. I can say all this because I lived there my entire life (36 years). I, myself, have religion and was surpised to find that people out here don't ask IF you go to church but rather "What church do you go to?" To me, that says it all. I wish you luck here in Tennessee. My experience living here has been a very positive one. I have not encountered any negativity for being a Californian. Everyone here has been so friendly and genuine. I never knew my neighbors in California and within days of moving into my apartment here in Tennessee, I knew all of my neighbors. I have also met and continue to meet Californians who have migrated south for eternity. And for those of you who are "California Dreamin", don't go there - you will hate it!!!! The grass is not greener on the other side - And I mean that in a literal sense, as well - it is brown and ugly there!!! This state is gorgeous!!

Old 09-04-2006, 10:22 PM

35 posts, read 167,922 times
I'm really intrested in knowing where you chose to move in middle TN. We are in Southern Cal. now and are looking at Murfreesboro. I have also lived here all of my 29 years. We have 2 boys and want to be able to raise them in a house with a yard and not an apartment. It is only about how much money you have and what you have to show for it and that's not the way I was raised or the way I want my children to be raised. So if you have any info on middle TN I would love it. Thnaks, Kim

Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,018 times
Default Wow!

California Leavin- you wrote some things about CA that really shocked me. You made sweeping comments about the entire state based on your experience. First off, it's a big state. While it's incredible that your 36 year experience was so overwhelmingly negative, I think your warning that everyone who moves there will hate it is ridiculous. I am from SF and the Tahoe area. We have always been close to our neighbors, whether we were in a condo in Danville, a home in Walnut Creek, or a cabin in the Tahoe forest. We were surrounded by friendly, wonderful people. We attended church in each community, (and this may surprise you) we were not alone I think you can choose to be happy anywhere you go. Life's what you make it!

I hope you find happiness in TN.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:03 PM

359 posts, read 1,635,757 times
Swampbuck, you're funny! I live in TN and my husband (rest his soul) was from CA.

He was loved by everyone, because he loved everyone.

Enjoy and celebrate the differences. That's what it's all about.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
California Leavin- you wrote some things about CA that really shocked me. You made sweeping comments about the entire state based on your experience. First off, it's a big state. While it's incredible that your 36 year experience was so overwhelmingly negative, I think your warning that everyone who moves there will hate it is ridiculous. I am from SF and the Tahoe area. We have always been close to our neighbors, whether we were in a condo in Danville, a home in Walnut Creek, or a cabin in the Tahoe forest. We were surrounded by friendly, wonderful people. We attended church in each community, (and this may surprise you) we were not alone I think you can choose to be happy anywhere you go. Life's what you make it!

I hope you find happiness in TN.
I was actually being sarcastic but I guess it didn't come across that way. I was also referring to Southern California, which I guess I failed to mention. I think I CAN say with some certainty that Southern California has taken a downward spiral in the past ten years. There are many statistics to back up my claim, but I won't go into it all. Crime alone is horrific and the area that I hail from has the highest number of child abusers in the country. My neighborhood alone, which was considered "a nice area" had 96 registered child molesters living within five miles of my home. There are only 4 in my current neighborhood in Bellevue, within five miles of me. There are nice areas in California but many are unaffordable to the middle class. Many of my relatives live in San Diego and they adore it there. They also paid $800,000 - $1,000,000 for a 4 bedroom home and no yard to speak of. I'm sorry if I offended any Californians with my comments. As I said, I was being sarcastic. However, if you are a Californian living in or thinking about moving to Tennessee, I imagine you may agree with some of what I have said. And northern California is certainly FAR from the L.A. and a completely different lifestyle. I went to Tahoe for my honeymoon and it actually reminds me of Tennessee. It was a very small town and the people were friendly and if there were more jobs available, I might have considered living there. I can also say with a great deal of certainty that it is definitely GREENER here.

Last edited by California Leavin'; 09-08-2006 at 09:34 PM..

Old 09-08-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimS. View Post
I'm really intrested in knowing where you chose to move in middle TN. We are in Southern Cal. now and are looking at Murfreesboro. I have also lived here all of my 29 years. We have 2 boys and want to be able to raise them in a house with a yard and not an apartment. It is only about how much money you have and what you have to show for it and that's not the way I was raised or the way I want my children to be raised. So if you have any info on middle TN I would love it. Thnaks, Kim
Murfreesboro is a lovely area. We did do some house hunting in that area and the price of houses is fantastic. We are currently renting in Bellevue which is 15 minutes outside of Nashville. We are looking for a home in Franklin or Spring Hill because my husband works in Franklin and I work in Nashville and the commute for me wouldn't be too bad. I have friends who live in Murfreesboro and love it. The school system is really good and there is convenient shopping. It is about a 40 minute drive to downtown Nashville. Good Luck!!

Old 09-08-2006, 10:03 PM

66 posts, read 261,000 times
California Leavin'-I just wanted to say that I live in CA right now, and moving soon to TN. I agree with about all that you said about CA except that there are good people there,too. On this forum,TN people seem very friendly. I can hardly wait to move!

Old 09-09-2006, 09:47 AM

107 posts, read 720,909 times
Ditto to California Leavin'. Another L.A. resident verifying it's a hellhole for all but the wealthiest people.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:51 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,018 times
CA Leaving- I am so sorry! I didn't get the sarcasm in your post. Sometimes I think it's harder to convey in writing, but I apologize just the same.

I loved living in CA, but kept coming here to work, so the move made sense for us. We just went back for a wedding last weekend and I must say I think it's the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Something about those pine forests just gets to me SF is so incredible I often miss it there too, but wouldn't move back right now. We like it here in TN. I was in Santa Monica recently and loved it, but I have never lived in SoCal, so I will have to take your word for it. It's easy to enjoy yourself somewhere as a tourist, but I'm sure it's a different ballgame when you live there.

To each their own! For my family, though, we have no desire to leave Williamson County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee