Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,777,079 times

Advertisements

so my trip is booked and were getting all set...but now ive got the normal "touristy" type questions.

on the 21st were going to look at a house in henderson and one in finger...being well be based in nashville were looking at about a 2 1/2 hour drive. which means by the time were done looking at houses itll be late lunch time.
so is there anywhere "cheap" with a local vibe in henderson?
we'll probably end up spending that afternoon in jackson before heading back to nashville that evening...anything in jackson we should take the time to see...were not realy touristy type folks, more trying to get a feel for the area.

on the 23rd were heading to the paris/big sandy area, what shoudl we take the time to see in this area, again we'll be seeing a couple of houses in the area in the morning and then just chilling for the afternoon...i was thinking if the weathers good that would be a good day for a picnic lunch neer the lake?

then on the 25th were looking at a house in pulaski and one in minor hill on the morning, the realtor is going to suggest some lunch spots then after lunch well be heading to see a house in lutts. im thinking due to distances that wont be much of a sight seeing day but was thinking of stopping in columbia on the way back to nashville for dinner that evening...any good places for food...
(again cheap and local prefered, i can go to a chain resturaunt anywhere lol)

the current plan will give us 3 full days then to explore other than house hunting...i do want to check out the gardens in the opryland hotel, and go to the nashville zoo. Mum would like to go somewhere with a live act one night, mabe a pub/bar with an open mic and pub meals? suggestions. country, light rock, light alt, blues, ect...
i would like to check out the nashville farmers market too...

beyond that can anyone suggest other things to see and do...
right now the 2 top houses on my list are in henderson and pulaski (of course that could change) but if theres anything close to those areas that would be worth a second day in the area too...that would be great.

what are some things someone moving to tn shoudl see...touristy things are fun and all, but id definatly like to get a feel for a more local/ true tn side of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 10:14 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,579,270 times
I didn't realize you were looking in both Henderson and Paris. It will be a lot of driving to go "there and back, there and back" two days in a row. But if you know that Jackson to Nashville on I-40 is one long, boring drive at night, you can just bear down and get back to your home base.

I'm not familiar with Henderson, but there is some cool stuff to do in and around Paris. Be sure to eat at the inn at Paris Landing State Park. There is a country cooking buffet prepared by local ladies who are employed there.

Tennessee State Parks: Paris Landing

The Tennessee River there is beautiful. There are some great Civil War sites in Dover, like Ft. Henry and Ft. Donelson.

In Jackson, stop at the Casey Jones museum and shopping complex. Eat at the best buffet in West Tennessee at the Old Country Store there. I promise it's worth it.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,050,533 times
Too bad you couldn't stay at local hotels in or near these towns. They are probably very inexpensive, plus you want to spend as much time as possible talking to the locals. It is very important.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 AM

this one is just a fact finding mission, if i fall in love with a house ill be staying longer (our return flight is an open ended ticket)

we looked at staying in different hotels/motels around the areas we'll be looking but it would have almost trippleds the cost of the trip which would have eaten into my downpayment savings and im not interested in doing that. we got a big discount at the hotel because of booking a full 7 nights, the roomes ended up being 45% off per night because of it...

as it stands right now my "normal" drive to anywhere is over an hour (if i want to hang out with frineds ect) so i dont mind a couple of hours as long as were spending a full day there...hence not making other apts on the day we'll be in the henderson or paris areas. its not that i live in the boonies where i am now...just that all my frineds live 1-2 hours away from me and if i want to see anyone i usually have to go to them...

but we will definatly be making the most of each day were in each area, and ive been very carefull to narrow my list down to ONLY things in my price range (im not going to get sucked into the 'well its only $10,000 more than you wanted to spend" game that gets sooo many home buyers in trouble...and only 2-3 houses per day...and those will be in the mornings, definatly trying to get as much out of each area as humanly possible in such a short time

i saw a listing for the old country store...looks cool! thanks for the suggestions so far, keep em comming.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,426,458 times
Right next to the Old CountryStore, which is located in "Casey Jones Village" is the Econolodge Motel. It is a great value. About $50 gets you a nice room and a full breakfast. A buffet breakfast at Old Country Store will set you back $9. Jackson is ideally located to use as a base for exploring west Tennessee.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:17 AM

597 posts, read 2,100,975 times
Ending up in West Tennessee you must see this someday. Brownsville, not far from Jackson. I had no warning, just stumbled across it some years back. Fascinating to say the least.

Gray sculpture in Brownsville: The Mindfield is a bit of modern art in small town Tennessee | Across Tennessee

Be sure to click on the pic to enlarge.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:53 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,823,689 times
^Gosh, I've never appreciated the Ghost Ballet sculpture by the Cumberland until now

Good luck with your trip Foxy

Courtney

Old 04-14-2011, 01:24 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,050,533 times
foxy: knowing you, I hesitated to suggest getting other motels. I've learned one thing about you. You are a planner that runs different scenarios to see which one is best. I do the same thing.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:51 PM

lol hik you are VERY right lol! heck as it stands i have plans on what id do in a zombie apocolypse, an ice age, or if purple chickens rained from the sky...

one of them involves mind control and velociraptors...ill let you guess which!

what!? i get bored and have an active imagination :P

Old 04-14-2011, 05:32 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,290,690 times
Personally, I would avoid the Old Country Store like the plague. I've had enough bad experiences there for a lifetime.

If you're going to be in Henderson at lunch time, I'd suggest you look for a little place called Bell's Drive In. It's a very popular local burger joint; you'll see local politicians, lawyers, cops, Freed-Hardeman professors and students, and lots of other Chester County folks hanging out there.

If you're going to be in Jackson at lunch time, I would recommend almost any place other than the Old Country Store. The store itself is ok, and the village is pretty neat, but the restaurant is horrid. Like many (most?) Jacksonians who've eaten there, I have my fair share of bug stories. Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee