Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:41 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary1958 View Post
I don't have the time to go there, but I can imagine some of the things being said.

I know two people that moved from New York to the Dale Hollow area. Both females that divorced and just wanted to get away, so they moved to Tn. Neither one is happy. One has been here about a year and the other since 9-05. They still don't have jobs. One cries because she hasn't made any friends, the other is turning to alcohol. In a way it's sad, but they made the decision and IMO they are not making much effort to try and fit in. I try to help and give them advice. Both of them are almost broke and they feel stuck now.

More than likely these two women will somehow end up back in New York, and when they do they will tell everyone how miserable their lives were in Tn.

It really makes me wonder how some people end up down here, when they don't have a clue how things really are. Do they just pull out the map and point there finger and say this looks like a good place?

Life is interesting to me because no two people are exactly alike. Yes, some people make rash decisions. Hurricanes and exorbitant taxes (NY and Fl) were good enough reason for some to escape. I would not judge people too harshly. If those women are unhappy, I hope the best for them, and that they can relocate someday to a place they like. Not everyone can make a perfect decision. Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

Old 08-01-2007, 10:55 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Those posters in the NY forum are actually doing you a favor. If you're lucky, they'll tell all of their friends to stay home.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:59 AM

62 posts, read 206,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Life is interesting to me because no two people are exactly alike. Yes, some people make rash decisions. Hurricanes and exorbitant taxes (NY and Fl) were good enough reason for some to escape. I would not judge people too harshly. If those women are unhappy, I hope the best for them, and that they can relocate someday to a place they like. Not everyone can make a perfect decision. Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

Not judging anyone. The point is that THEY made this decision, obviously without doing there homework. If they had researched there move they would know what a depressed area they moved into.

Theres only so much I can do if they don't make an effort to help themselves.

I also wish the best for them. I'm in contact with them almost weekly.And I will continue to help on a limited basis. Last week I told one where to go in Cookeville for a job oppurtunity. She still hasn't made it. I asked her why, and she says it's too far.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:30 PM

45 posts, read 153,745 times
MB I'm just amazed how people are ready to jump on that Negative Bandwagon and spoo out words that hurt and injure others....I think it would be wiser to take the time to investigate an area(where ever your going USA) before packing those bags! Don't You Think? If you dont like the area you chose you can always Re-Group...Thats my nickels worth....Have a Great Day Where Ever You Are!

Old 08-05-2007, 05:35 AM

849 posts, read 2,955,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Lets not post quotes form another state forum please. Like has been said on here many times, everyone has a right to their opinion and that is what these forums are about, opinions and observations, good and bad,and info about different states and towns. Tn isn't for everyone. CA isn't for everyone. How many people on this, the TN forum, post how horrible they think FL is? FL folks aren't quoting that. That is what I think is one of the many wonderful things about America, it is a very diverse country, there are many different climates, states, cities and towns that all have different ways of life and anyone can choose to move/visit anywhere within it. They also have the right to voice those opinions about anywhere else. So, yea, lots of people could not imagine living in the South, a lot could not imagine living in the West, North, East or away from a coast. It's all good.
MBM - Your quote is very well put.

People need to prioritize their needs when looking for an area to live. For my wife and I, we love the 4 seasons of weather and at one time lived in Louisville, Ky. We love the mountain views, the scenic beauty of the Georgia and Tennessee mountains. The sound of a rushing stream or the spiderweb covered in morning dew. Beauty is all around us, why spend time in negativity?

Our sons are reaching an age where they are just short of their independence. My wife and I chose Florida to be near our families and that was where my job took us. It has been a great life, and it is time to begin to peek at our next chapter. When we leave Florida one day, it will be with great memories of raising a family, good friends, and simple pleasures.

We chose our area near Chattanooga based on the central location to so many areas within a half day's drive. The Ocoee River is an hour, Nashville, Atlanta, Knoxville, Gatlinburg, our relocated friends in Bryson City, NC, all a simple drive. A day's drive to my birthplace in Chicago, or my old stomping grounds in Toledo.

But most of our days, once we move, will be spent at our home and at work! And we're looking forward to it!

Old 08-05-2007, 08:29 AM

25 posts, read 84,581 times
Gary1958--you mentioned that the Dale Hollow area is depressed...could you elaborate? It would be much appreciated.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:04 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
MBM - Your quote is very well put.

People need to prioritize their needs when looking for an area to live. For my wife and I, we love the 4 seasons of weather and at one time lived in Louisville, Ky.
Hello! Just curious, where in Louisville did you live and what did you think of it?

Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Hello! Just curious, where in Louisville did you live and what did you think of it?
Wow! Do you know when I thought about it, it was 20 years ago! Moved there with my pregnant wife, had our first child who is 19 years old now. I remember very little about the area as we only lived there for less than 2 years. We lived in an apartment complex called Trafalger Square. We were about 10 minutes from the St. Matthews area.

20 years ago, I loved the weather. It was the perfect 4 seasons. The suburbs were nice but the downtown area was dirty, again 20 years ago. It may be marvelous now. The people were very friendly, some lazy, some very hard working.

Sorry, not a real in depth view.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:24 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Oh St Matthews is in the east end, I am in the SW part of the county. Downtown is now known for being clean and Louisville itself has changed ALOT in 20 years. Come back and see us!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 PM

I just looked it up. We lived off of Bardstown Road, and rented an apartment for $375/month @ 1100 sq feet. I went to the area to find an apartment while my wife stayed back in our apartment in Orlando that was $550/month and about 600 sq feet.

She gave me only one specific set of instructions. No avocado, or yellow appliances. I failed. It had those awful yellow appliances, but you couldn't beat the rate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee