Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 12:28 PM

15 posts, read 61,773 times

Advertisements

I am a white woman married to a black man. We have bi-racial children. We are considering moving to TN in the future. Any suggestions on a small town near a big city that is diverse? Our children are small so we would like a town with reputable schools. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:25 PM

3 posts, read 14,414 times
I graduated from The University of Tennesse in Knoxville. I liked it there, however, Knoxville is a bigger city, not a real small town.
Did you move yet?

I am planning on moving to the mountains somewhere in East Tennessee, but I don't know exactly where I will land.

Don Johnson

Old 06-01-2006, 10:21 PM

211 posts, read 290,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnmrcy
I am a white woman married to a black man. We have bi-racial children. We are considering moving to TN in the future. Any suggestions on a small town near a big city that is diverse? Our children are small so we would like a town with reputable schools. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
So, diversity has come to mean "anything non-White?" What exactly do you mean by "diverse?" One that is predominately Black?

Truthfully, any area in TN which has a predominantly Black population is dangerous with a lot of crime. You can live in Williamson outside of Nashville which contains Brentwood and Franklin. Both are really nice areas with great schools. With regards to Franklin, the "diverse" area of town (it's just one neighborhood) is where pizza man do not deliver after dark, (trust me I had a friend that tried to order).

If you have enough money, I would go to Franklin or Brentwood. Or Belle Meede (which is part of Nashville and VERY wealthy).

I would actually go to a school which is predominantly White, such as the ones in Brentwood or Franklin. Brentwood actually has a magnet program where students can choose to go to Martin Luther King High School in Nashville (if diversity=non-white, that's your school); however, your children are going to much more likely experience blatant racism for being bi-racial.

Anyway, I'll recommend Williamson again. It's a very safe area and very nice. The majority of the population comes from out of the school (ie: No Rednecks) so you shouldn't have any problems.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:36 PM

130 posts, read 566,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnmrcy
I think the closer to the bigger cities the better as situations such as yours are more readily accepted. I expect that you'd be welcomed in Knoxville but here in the Tri-City area you'd probably be uncomfortable, and forget about places like Mountain City or Greenville.

Joe

Old 06-04-2006, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 15,197 times
TNLOVE, I think she meant a good mix of different races, black, white, yellow, brown, etc. diverse would not mean non-white, or non-black.
Anyway to find that type of info goto the Census website, that will tell you all you would want to know about the demographics of a city, town, etc.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:58 AM

15 posts, read 61,773 times
Can anyone tell me about Oakridge or Martin? Do these towns have a mixture of different races? If not, can you think of any small town that would be good to raise my bi-racial children?

Old 07-03-2006, 10:27 AM

51 posts, read 335,519 times
Anywhere around Memphis is going to be accepting of Black/White mixed-people, as about 70% of the population is of African descent. Germantown is predominantly White, but a very nice suburb of Memphis, if that is for you. I would not advise actually living IN Memphis city limits, however. It's not exactly known as one of the safest places on Earth. As far as East Tennessee, goes, you may as well forget it because you will have trouble fitting in. As Joe P inferred, the Appalchain region of Tennessee is not famous for being racially accepting.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,799 times
Hope I'm not wrong about this, but I don't think it will be as hard as you might expect. Not to find already existing diversity necessarily, but to find a place where you and your family can live peacefully and be accepted for who you are. I grew up in Roan Mountain, a tiny village in East Tennessee. We only had two black families (two branches of one family, to be exact), and I'd be glad to share with you how that went if you'd like to exchange emails. Or I can do it via postings as time & energy permit. Would also be glad to put you in touch with my 20-years-younger sister whose experiences probably are more relevant to your life situation at present.

Feel free to contact me. Have opted to allow email contact from Forum members.

In any event, God's blessings to you and your family.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:28 PM

39 posts, read 195,753 times
Good Luck with your move. Coming from the Tampa Bay area their is alot of diversity. It is hard to imagine that in this day and age any form of racism still exists. Racism is ignorant ~period.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:34 PM

7 posts, read 7,066 times
The farther West in TN you go the less Stratified. I heard Preachers in Eastern TN, compare mixed marriage to a dog and a cat getting together.
Frankly, its one reason I moved back North. Sorry, give me frozen pipes and high taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee