Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 03:01 PM

6 posts, read 34,686 times

Advertisements

my wife and i are relocating to eastern tennessee later this year. i was wondering how's the hunting and fishing in that area. i'm an avid deer and duck hunter and love to fish crappie and bass . any info would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 04:06 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,351 times
I'm by no means an expert on hunting and fishing. But I know up here in Northeast TN there is a lot of fishing going on. There is a trout farm very close to where I live and there is a fish hatchery in Erwin. They grow 'em and throw them in the lakes and streams around here. Not sure about crappie and bass.
I don't know much about where people hunt here, but I have seen several deer in the mountainous areas around here.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:54 PM

36 posts, read 127,750 times
You go ahead and move to east tn . The hunting and the fishing is better in west tn[exept for the trout fishing]. But you go ahead and move there and leave my west tn deer alone.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:20 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,351 times
I just happened to flip through a supplement to the Knoxville New Sentinal that I had kept and it mentions hunting. It says Campbell County, Union County, Anderson County and areas in the Cherokee National Forest are some of the best hunting places. It also shows a photo of a dog in the river bringing back a duck and says that Forks of the River- in Knoxville- is a good duck hunting spot. You may find more info at www.wildlifelicense.com/tn/index.html

Old 08-31-2006, 01:37 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
I used to live and do some deer hunting in Western NC. It was always true that the kill ratio was much higher in the Eastern part of the state. I think that it is generally true, that while you will find deer in the mountains, the larger specimens and more plentiful are found in the lower lands around the big farms.
You have to really be a disciplined hunter (and in good shape) to hunt in the mountains. However, my friends who hunt there, generally kill at least one a year.
Happy hunting.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
I used to live and do some deer hunting in Western NC. It was always true that the kill ratio was much higher in the Eastern part of the state. I think that it is generally true, that while you will find deer in the mountains, the larger specimens and more plentiful are found in the lower lands around the big farms.
You have to really be a disciplined hunter (and in good shape) to hunt in the mountains. However, my friends who hunt there, generally kill at least one a year.
Happy hunting.
Are you talking about eastern tn or sc. Because the whitetail harvest ratio has been higher in west tn for years. Primarily henry co which was the #1 county for the last few years. And also one of the top trophy counties. This was one of the factors we looked at before we bought our farm there. There has always been fewer deer in the moutain areas. Although the state record typical did come from a moutain county many years ago. But the mountains have trout and we don't. Unless you count rainbow ranch trout farms.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbuck View Post
Are you talking about eastern tn or sc. Because the whitetail harvest ratio has been higher in west tn for years. Primarily henry co which was the #1 county for the last few years. And also one of the top trophy counties. This was one of the factors we looked at before we bought our farm there. There has always been fewer deer in the moutain areas. Although the state record typical did come from a moutain county many years ago. But the mountains have trout and we don't. Unless you count rainbow ranch trout farms.
Sorry, I thought that was going to be confusing. I was comparing the situation in NC - Mountains (West) to flatlands(East), to that in Tenn - East to West. In NC as in TN, there are always less deer killed in the mountains than in the flatlands. In Eastern NC, I know guys who said they just got tired of dressing deer, they killed so many. In fact down there they hunt them with Dogs and Walkie Talkies out of big 4 wheel drives.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:59 PM

No problem...... I could'nt hunt in the moutain's if they were full of deer. Don't have the wind for it anymore.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:19 AM

I know what you mean. Most of the guys I knew in Western NC, would start walking the woods, looking for sign and generally building up their stamina at least a month before deer season.
I went hunting with a friend down there one time. He said he was going to let me use his deer stand. Now, the deer stands in knew in Michigan were only about 15 ft above ground. Well, we wander out in the woods in pitch dark and he shines a flashlight about 50 ft up in a tree and says, "there it is...you can use the tree limbs to climb up." I mean it was just a plank nailed in place. I passed, and sat on the ground while he climbed the tree.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:57 AM

6 posts, read 34,686 times
thanx for the input guys. we are planning to relocate, but not sure which area yet. my job allows me a few options as to where. we are leaning towards the mountains because of the scenery, and we want four seasons.i want a place i can hunt and fish near. any info would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: