Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 08:12 AM

6 posts, read 15,605 times

Advertisements

I am considering the same to cities, but throw in Dover just to be a bit closer to the lake.

What I am trying to decide is the monetary advantage of Tennessee over KY in terms of taxes. How much of a difference is there regarding say a 200K home. I know the real property taxes in TN are very low....but I cannot find much info on KY real property taxes.

What about advantages between the two states in terms of veterans benefits? I understand that TN does not have a state income tax, but does KY exempt any/all of my retirement from their income tax?

I have family ties to the LBL area. Father grew up in Waverly, grandfather was born in Parson, dad retired to Big Sandy. My nephew and his wife are teachers in Murray, and my sister is planning to retire to the Murray area. So, what I am trying to get a grasp on is whether the taxation advantages of living in TN vice KY are significant.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Kentucky tax burden, compared with all other states: 30.

Tennessee: 47th.

The latter is the clear winner.

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977 - 2009

I hope you all are not coming up with Paris and a few others based on the bogus "Where Should I Move" quiz. It tells everyone the same places.

Bear in mind the weather in those places, especially regarding severe storms and tornadoes.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:40 PM

6 posts, read 15,605 times
Not at all. As I stated, my roots go to that area. My sister and her husband are retiring to Murray. My father retired to Big Sandy. My cousin is a pharmacist in Paris. My grandparents lived in the area.

Again, while I understand the delta in overall tax burdens, I am particularly interested in the difference in terms of real property taxes between the two states.

Take a home in Kentucky valued at $200K, and a home in Tenn. valued at $200K. What is the general difference that one would expect to pay?

Old 10-01-2011, 05:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,711 times
i would choose paris over murray because of access to water, marinas, water recreation sports, and venues for specialty fishing. paris-henry county area is beautiful. murray-calloway, mayfied-graves, dresden-weakley are all beautiful areas. very bucolic. terrain is practically the same. hills, hollows, fields, lowlands, highlands, creeks, ponds, and lakes. to the fisherman, much of the henry county economy is directed toward gaming. fish and wildlife lakes are on both the east and west sides of the county, as well as in the central portion of henry county. the wildlife lakes are stocked w/ bass (both large and small mouth), crappie. these lakes contain large shellcrackers, perch, sunfish, brimm, and channel catfish. of course, the river and its inlets have yellow, blue, channel, white, grey, flathead, spoonville, sorghrum, pike (not the northern variety) and brook trout (standing rock creek). the area is known for its retiree population, particularly near the lake. in general, it is just a nice place, decent shopping, decent medical care, 45 minutes from jackson, tn, which has a full service trauma service, and complete medical care, including cardiac and neuro care. jackson is listed as a metropolitan area, and it has most everything one would need for shopping. if not, jackson is 50 minutes from memphis, which is directly by interstate 40.

as for weather, paris and murray are only 21 miles from one another. murray is directly north of paris, and most weather fronts approach from the west or the southwest. really, it is very unlikely that one would see any significant change in weather from one city to the other.

Natives know that thunderstorms and tornadoes occur in every part of tn. about the only two weather phenomenon that occurs in specific areas of tn would occur in east tn, where one easily encounters rock slides from large hills and mountains, as a result of heavy rains from severe thunderstorms, and heavy fog, which is common most of the year round, particularly around the cumberland plateau eastward. in fact, one of these areas near knoxville was the location of a massive traffic collision. in a heavy fog, visibility had caused drivers to slow or stop, while on the interstate. one driver could not see the flashers of stopped automobiles ahead, and consequently, it crashed into the auto in front, which caused a massive pile-up, the largest in tn history. i think 11 were killed, and several more were critically injured. similar events had occurred previously in this area, which ultimately led to the state being sued and also a local company. so, if i were moving to east tn, i would keep in mind the real possibility of rock slides, blinding fog (one on the reasons they named the smoky mountains "smoky") and of course thunderstorms and tornadoes. now that i think about it, i went to gatlinburg twice three years ago, and both times we suffered through terrible afternoon thunderstorms. btw, it was after these storms that there was more than a trickle of water in the creeks, lol, one of the reasons we chose the hotel and the chalet.
and that's the truth!

Last edited by JMT; 10-03-2011 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: removed personal attack

Old 10-02-2011, 02:06 PM

You can get fog anywhere, especially the areas of tornado alley with their temperature extremes. Let's not forget the horrific flooding in Memphis and Nashville this past year. I've never heard of someone killed by a rock in Knoxville.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:24 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,362 times
This is a site that can help with past and present tornado activity. You can also check out other states as well using this. Hope it helps.

Tornado History Project: Maps and Statistics

Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,711 times
flooding wasn't the topic, and there is more to east tn than knoxville. the map was fairly accurate over the last 60 years. i did notice, however, that the tornado that killed mother and infant a year ago last spring was not on the murfreesboro location. the nashville tornado, april, 98 may have been left off, too.

simply put, this entire response is the result of the statement made regarding paris, tn and murray, ky. "...i wouldn't live in either one because of the tornadoes and severe thunderstorms...!" it was silly to imply that one would be safer in other regions of the states than these two cities. blueyed provided an excellent explanation. reps.

Last edited by JMT; 10-03-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 10-03-2011, 03:42 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
flooding wasn't the topic, and there is more to east tn than knoxville. the map was fairly accurate over the last 60 years. i did notice, however, that the tornado that killed mother and infant a year ago last spring was not on the murfreesboro location. the nashville tornado, april, 98 may have been left off, too.

simply put, this entire response is the result of the statement made regarding paris, tn and murray, ky. "...i wouldn't live in either one because of the tornadoes and severe thunderstorms...!" it was silly to imply that one would be safer in other regions of the states than these two cities. blueyed provided an excellent explanation. reps.
Thank you kingchef I really like that site. Not all of the reported tornadoes was showing on the map as it's only showing 250 per page. There are 960 reported. There are several pages or you can put the max (2500 per page) on the drop down box at the top. And if you do the whole US; it shows that the majority of the U.S. gets tornado activity.

Thanks for the rep! Back at ya

Last edited by JMT; 10-03-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 10-03-2011, 05:25 PM

West Tennessee gets a lot more tornadoes and thunderstorms. When I was an agent I dealt with several families that said they regretted moving to that area due to the severe weather.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:31 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,228,595 times
Wow. Okay ya'll, tornados happen everywhere (killed people in Greene County this year), and I sure hope to God that fog exists in West Tennessee, as well.

Choosing where to live based on severe weather is ridiculous.

Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee