Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:05 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,095,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I think that might be the law in Knoxville, too. Or at least that's what one of my students claimed as her excuse for missing a test last week! She said she spent the night in jail, but of course it wasn't her fault because she wasn't actually driving the car. And then she had the nerve to ask me to give her a make-up test because it wasn't her fault that she was in jail the day of the test. sigh
Cooome on, JMT. Where's your heart? Doesn't she get a break for moxsie? (How in the world do you spell that? Senior double moment)

Old 10-16-2007, 11:12 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,700,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
Cooome on, JMT. Where's your heart? Doesn't she get a break for moxsie? (How in the world do you spell that? Senior double moment)
Haha, well, she definitely had guts to ask me that! But all's not lost for her, I did accept her late homework assignment.

But it was actually the 2nd time this semester that a student had that kind of excuse. Another student had to go to court for underaged drinking and missed class and a test a couple of weeks ago. He absolutely could not understand why I wouldn't let him make up the test. "It's not my fault they scheduled my court appearance during your class," he said.

And yes, he's in a fraternity...

Old 10-16-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Haha, well, she definitely had guts to ask me that! But all's not lost for her, I did accept her late homework assignment.

But it was actually the 2nd time this semester that a student had that kind of excuse. Another student had to go to court for underaged drinking and missed class and a test a couple of weeks ago. He absolutely could not understand why I wouldn't let him make up the test. "It's not my fault they scheduled my court appearance during your class," he said.

And yes, he's in a fraternity...
Yeah, we never did anything like that when we were in college!

Although the lackadaisical attitude of each of those students about going to court/being arrested is what concerns me. Yikes! I cannot imagine what my folks would have done to me if I were ever in that situation. Yanked out of school, for sure! Plus, I would be blubbering so bad I wouldn't even be able to defend myself.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:15 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,029,539 times
I would dearly love to know when blaming everyone else for things that really are our fault became the norm.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:56 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,329,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I would dearly love to know when blaming everyone else for things that really are our fault became the norm.
That happened in between my generation and my childrens'

Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
Yeah, we never did anything like that when we were in college!(
You're right, I never did anything like that when I was in college. It's possible to have a fun college experience without the alcohol and without breaking the law.

The frat boy came to class the next day boasting of his alcoholic exploits. Going to court for underaged drinking was a badge of honor for him. He was truly perplexed that I wouldn't let him make up the test he missed while he was at the courthouse.

These days (I learned this when I taught high school) many parents consider underaged drinking to be a rite of passage for their precious children. And then they blame mean old teachers like me for not thinking that missing class because a hangover is no different than missing class because of the flu.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,029,539 times
That excuse won't work when they get a job, either. Might as well get use to it.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
That excuse won't work when they get a job, either. Might as well get use to it.
Amen!!! And that's exactly what I try to tell them, too.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
It's amazing because I see that "someone else made me do it" or "it isn't my fault, the cop was not in uniform" sensibility even in small children.

Maybe parents aren't teaching their kids that it is okay to make a mistake, but them they should fess up to it and make it right.

SmokyMtnGal, between your generation and your kids are MY kids. Boy, I hope they take responsibility for their own actions. They always did when growing up, so I trust they still do in the work world.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,483,973 times
1. Running a tab in Iowa is illegal.

Do it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee