Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 03:03 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,758 times

Advertisements

Hello folks; I came across the city-data site while researching stats about towns in tennesse as I am considering a move sometime in the next 6 months or so. I have been interested in the NE corner since I first drove through back in 1978 or so. fell in love with tennessee and hoped to move that way long before now... A little bit of background about myself. Originally FROM New york(upstate,along the hudson river) but left when I was 18, vowing to NEVER go back to live. Did keep that promise to myself up til 1996 when I began making cross-country drives from texas to new york and back again...family issues. Would plan the drive so I could stop 2-3 times in tennessee for the night and see the countryside in the daylight. In between then and now life happened and before I knew it , it was 2011. In 2009 I was involved in a near-fatal car accident. I am still recovering from the injuries, and have lots of free time to evaluate my life to this point as well as count my blessings that I am still alive. I found stats of averages for the year for snowfall etc. but it doesn't give me current info.You know--winter of 2010--. I have a bunch of questions in my mind and as I sort them out and organize them I would like to get some local opinions on them... Anyone willing to enlighten me on this and other topics?? thoroughly enjoy reading your answers to other peoples questions, but, have a tad different situation than most folks that have posted before this... Will give more details in the near future. Thanks to all that may respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I think you'll find plenty of people here more than happy to give advice and opinions.
Are you leaning more towards the Knoxville area or the tri-cities area? Your answers may be slightly different depending on which area is being discussed. (For instance the tri-cities is typically a little bit cooler and has just a wee bit more snowfall than Knoxville, although neither gets enough to need a snow blower. I don't even have a snow shovel, a broom does me just fine. )
If you aren't sure which area, maybe you could tell us a little more about what you are looking for and we can steer you to the right sub forum for more detailed answers to your questions.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:49 PM

Default woohoo I got mail :)

DubbleT, thanks for answering. I'm Looking at tri-cities and east of there. I can handle a dusting or 1-3 or 4 inches well enough, especially if it melts off quickly (say in a day or two at most). If necessary, I guess I could hibernate for afew days at most. That's one of the reasons I left New York and why I'm living in North Central Texas now, but the heat is getting to be a problem now. That and the lack of trees, and lakes, moun tains/hills etc.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:02 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
ive been looking to relcoate anywhere in tn (right now western and middle tn are winning)

and when i was looking into the tricities area (primarily kingsport) i was told that a "normal" year is right around a foot, mabe a little more...
it generally dosnt snow that often and typically melts betwen snow falls and expect to see a normal snowfall of 2-4 inches in a day...

if you go up to the mountain city area expect a little more...

but compared to NY winters i have no doubt youll be fine lol

Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
... but the heat is getting to be a problem now. That and the lack of trees, and lakes, moun tains/hills etc.
I spent a few years in Houston, so I understand, TX gets pretty unbearable in the summer.
Snow... they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here you go.
The middle picture is usually the kind of snowfall we get, here today and gone tomorrow. The other two are Winter 2009, first day of a 'heavy' snow in Bristol. I had to leave my car at work and hitch a ride home with a co-worker with 4wd. So it does happen, fortunately very rarely in the three years I've been here. By the next morning the city had the main roads cleared. This last winter it snowed on and off for about a month straight, but again the roads were kept pretty clear so I didn't find it to be a problem.

We have a tri-cities sub forum, not quite as many posters there as on some of the other TN sub forums, but I'm sure if you post your questions there somebody else will eventually chime in with some of their opinions too. kingsport-johnson-city-bristol/
Attached Thumbnails
this past winters snow totals for NE tennessee and other ??'s to follow...-054.jpg   this past winters snow totals for NE tennessee and other ??'s to follow...-004.jpg   this past winters snow totals for NE tennessee and other ??'s to follow...-058.jpg  

Old 06-30-2011, 05:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Tri-Cities snow total was 15.6 for the 2010-2011 winter season. http://www.weather.gov/climate/getclimate.php?wfo=mrx That's about average for that area.

Knoxville generally gets about 9 inches. Last season we got about 12.

That's for the entire season, mind you, as opposed to the northeast where anywhere from 55 to 75 is the norm.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:37 PM

Appreciate the input guys. Will check out tri- cities forum. Not computer literate so it may be a slow process for me. A foot of snow is do-able especially if it doesn't happen all at once. This last winter here was not fun mainly because of all the ice and bitter cold temps. Spent the bulk of the winter indoors as I refuse to drive on ice. This part of texas has no snow removal equipment other than sanders. It was crazy watching these texans trying to drive on snow covered ice with their 4-wheel drive vehicles... like that would actually help.lol Hey--These smilies are fun! Already I'm learning.... Anyway, thanks again for the helpLove the pics.Snow is so pretty especially when you don't have to be out in it. I could watch it fall all day long...just as long as it's gone the next day.HAHA. should I post all my other questions about northeast TN specifically on the tri-cities forum or use this one as well?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:21 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
Appreciate the input guys. Will check out tri- cities forum. Not computer literate so it may be a slow process for me. A foot of snow is do-able especially if it doesn't happen all at once. This last winter here was not fun mainly because of all the ice and bitter cold temps. Spent the bulk of the winter indoors as I refuse to drive on ice. This part of texas has no snow removal equipment other than sanders. It was crazy watching these texans trying to drive on snow covered ice with their 4-wheel drive vehicles... like that would actually help.lol Hey--These smilies are fun! Already I'm learning.... Anyway, thanks again for the helpLove the pics.Snow is so pretty especially when you don't have to be out in it. I could watch it fall all day long...just as long as it's gone the next day.HAHA. should I post all my other questions about northeast TN specifically on the tri-cities forum or use this one as well?
If your question is specific to the Tri Cities please post it on this sub forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/kings...-city-bristol/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee