Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 07:20 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times

Advertisements

A visit to Shiloh National Military Park, near Savannah, Tennessee, on the banks of the Tennessee River. For those of you that don't know, this was a very major battle during the Civil War, where more than 111,000 troops clashed in one of the bloodiest battles in the entire war, totaling almost 24,000 casualties. If you are a history or Civil War buff, this is an absolute must-see. If not, it can still be a very fun and educational experience. At just $5 per family, it is more than worth it, and I highly encourage everyone with the time for a little day trip to take advantage of this South-West Tennessee gem.

Very large monument to the soldiers from Iowa who fought in the battle.

A row of monuments for the infantry brigades from Indiana

Confederate monument commemorating the capture of 2,100 Union Troops at the Hornet's Nest.

Grant's last line. The final position of the line on April 6th, 1862, before the Federal counter attack on April 7th.

Different views of Ruggles' Battery, a line of Confederate guns that bombarded the Hornet's Nest (a Union position across the field in the dense woods).

The Tennessee River flows right past the battlefield. The Union used the river to their advantage with ferrying reinforcements, and with gunboats providing covering fire. This is near the Dill Branch Ravine, where the Lexington and Tyler helped Grant defend Pittsburg Landing.

Dill Branch Ravine

Pittsburg Landing, where Union Gen Don Carlos Buell brought Grant reinforcements on the night of April 6-7 (there wasn't a nice paved road back then...).

An interesting non-Civil War sight: Illustrious former Tennessee Gov Ray Blanton's grave marker, near Shiloh Church. (btw...shouldn't that last line be, "Pardoner of the People"?)

The open field along the sunken road near the Hornet's Nest. You can see another Iowa monument here -- Iowa really stepped it up when it came to the monuments...there must've been twice as many Iowa monuments (and they were all big, too!) at the park as there were any other state.

Also near the Hornet's Nest.

Confederate monument to Arkansas soldiers, near the Hornet's nest.

A cool monument to the Ohio troops with a cannon on top....although the cannon seems to be missing its barrel...

A monument to the Tennessee troops near the Water Oaks Pond, where Conf. Gen P.G.T. Beauregard unsuccessfully tried to stop Grant's counterattack. Beauregard and the Confederates withdrew to Corinth, Mississippi, just across the border.

Illinois didn't have much in the way of monuments, save for this massive one (the picture doesn't do it justice...this thing is at least 25 feet tall) near the Water Oaks Pond. I guess they figured quality over quantity.

The Water Oaks Pond, as it exists today.

This is just a taste of a truly great Civil War battlefield right here in Tennessee...the camera phone pics don't do it justice...take a visit for yourselves, get behind one of the cannons, look across the field, and imagine the scenes that took place 150 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,184 times
Good pics. Shiloh is an awe-inspiring place. I've been there countless times over the course of my life.

And thanks for including the pic of Governor Blanton's monument. He was my friend. I was the last person to conduct an in-depth interview with him -- not too long before his death. He invited me to his home and was an incredibly kind host.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:50 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,184,339 times
Thanks for the great pics. It is my favorite Civil War battlefield, primarily because it is one of the most preserved battlefields, one that is nearest what it was when it was fought on.

I used to take my 11th grade history classes there every year.

I thought it was better there for the kids to be able to get the scale and scope of the size of the battle, better than say Stones River. It kind of loses something in the tour when the Park Historian giving the tour at Stones River said, "...and then the cavalry charged right across the Samsonite factory parking lot right over there."

Don't have that issue at Shiloh.

I appreciate your picture of the Confederate monument. As I bet you know from your time there, the only Confederates buried there are in several mass graves. Of course, they don't bury the Confederate dead in the National Cemeteries. The Confederate monument is oriented along the route the Confederate army took into, and away from Shiloh. The right side of the monument has profiles of men's faces held up, symbolizing the optimism and pride of the army as it went into battle. The profiles on the left are downcast signifying the death they met those days and the sorrow in having to leave the battlefield in what is considered defeat.

The place that always got me (and my students) there was the Hornets Nest. I can't imagine trying to cross that 1/2 mile wide open meadow against men dug in and in the treeline 11 times. I think after the second or third time I'd have just had to tell the officer ordering me to do it to just go ahead and shoot me 'cause I wasn't going to go. It took Ruggle's Battery, at that time the largest single collection of artillery ever used in North America to break the Union line.

The other area that is just heartbreaking to me is bloody pond.

Forgive me for rambling, the former history teacher in my just comes out and bores everyone to death...

Again, thanks for the pics. You did a good job shooting them. Go sometime in the evening...many people believe they get pictures of ghosts, and others claim to see them, especially around the Hornets' Nest, the Sunken Road, and Bloody Pond. Of course, your mileage may vary...

Old 07-04-2011, 07:41 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Thanks for the great pics. It is my favorite Civil War battlefield, primarily because it is one of the most preserved battlefields, one that is nearest what it was when it was fought on.

I used to take my 11th grade history classes there every year.

I thought it was better there for the kids to be able to get the scale and scope of the size of the battle, better than say Stones River. It kind of loses something in the tour when the Park Historian giving the tour at Stones River said, "...and then the cavalry charged right across the Samsonite factory parking lot right over there."

Don't have that issue at Shiloh.

I appreciate your picture of the Confederate monument. As I bet you know from your time there, the only Confederates buried there are in several mass graves. Of course, they don't bury the Confederate dead in the National Cemeteries. The Confederate monument is oriented along the route the Confederate army took into, and away from Shiloh. The right side of the monument has profiles of men's faces held up, symbolizing the optimism and pride of the army as it went into battle. The profiles on the left are downcast signifying the death they met those days and the sorrow in having to leave the battlefield in what is considered defeat.

The place that always got me (and my students) there was the Hornets Nest. I can't imagine trying to cross that 1/2 mile wide open meadow against men dug in and in the treeline 11 times. I think after the second or third time I'd have just had to tell the officer ordering me to do it to just go ahead and shoot me 'cause I wasn't going to go. It took Ruggle's Battery, at that time the largest single collection of artillery ever used in North America to break the Union line.

The other area that is just heartbreaking to me is bloody pond.

Forgive me for rambling, the former history teacher in my just comes out and bores everyone to death...

Again, thanks for the pics. You did a good job shooting them. Go sometime in the evening...many people believe they get pictures of ghosts, and others claim to see them, especially around the Hornets' Nest, the Sunken Road, and Bloody Pond. Of course, your mileage may vary...
Thanks for the extra info. History was always one of my favorite subjects...so I'm sure I would've enjoyed your class.

My brother and I did our best to see what we could...but it was really kind of hard to soak it all in because it was pretty dang hot and muggy. I think we'll try to go back in the fall or early spring, some time when the weather is nice and we can walk a bit more, without becoming one of Shiloh's many casualties.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:45 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,198 times
Awesome pics as usual, nashvols. I definitely recommend going down in the fall when the leaves turn. It is such a beautiful area (especially if you take the Trace down) during that time of year. It's also worth the visit to drive down to Corinth, MS and visit the Civil War museum there and visit the old part of town (eating at the General's Quarters is recommended). For that matter, driving the Trace all the way to Natchez while making a detour at Vicksburg is a great way to spend a few days.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:14 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,006,712 times
Being a Civil War buff for much of my life I always wanted to see Shiloh/Corinth, thanks for the pictures Nashvols!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:14 PM

231 posts, read 595,199 times
Default Shiloh Military Pictures-with pictures

I haven't been there in many Years. There was once a Restaurant there that served a Breakfast that was delicious and colossal-served on a platter-with refills. Former Sheriff Buford Pusser of "Walking Tall" fame was returning to Selmer after eating at the Restaurant when he was killed. I met Pusser once-he was biiiiiigggggg. Never understood how he could fit in that Vette.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,502 times
My really 1st major battlefield. I was awe struck I had family there with Mississippi unit was wounded there taken to Canton, Mississippi and died of wounds, buried in city Cemetary

Old 12-31-2014, 06:59 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,006,712 times
I hate to assist in a necro post.

But I went there this last May. Needless to say the battlefield is solemn, but very cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee