Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 PM

4 posts, read 16,508 times

Advertisements

Am doing some research on Hazard, Tennessee and am finding very little information. A little history on Hazard (Not Kentucky) would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Never heard of it.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister43 View Post
Am doing some research on Hazard, Tennessee and am finding very little information. A little history on Hazard (Not Kentucky) would be greatly appreciated.
No such place.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 PM

In 1948-1949 there was a Minor League baseball team called Oakridge/Hazard Bombers from Hazard, Tennessee. That information can be seen at: baseball-reference.com/minors/league.....I would venture to guess that would indicate there was a place called Hazard, Tennessee. I have been told that it is a blink your eyes place with about 35 residents now.

Other information I received is that Hazard, Tennessee (35 residents strong) is a very short distance from Loretta Lynn's home in Hurrican Mills, Tennessee.

Fot those that have never heard of it or for those that say it does not exist, please make note of these baseball records. Now I know Oak Ridge was a secret city from about 1942 till about 1949 and they had a joint Minor League basaball team together, then both places must be close together.
1948 Oak Ridge/Hazard Bombers
1948 > Class D > 1948 Mountain States League
Overall: n/a

Affiliation: none or n/a
Manager: Hobe Brummette
Represented: Oak Ridge, TN and Hazard, TN
Ballpark: Unknown (Hazard, KY) and Oakwood Park (Oak Ridge, TN)
Attendance: n/a

Last edited by Beretta; 07-24-2011 at 04:57 AM..

Old 07-23-2011, 10:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Hazard Bombers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Hazard Bombers were a minor league baseball team that played in the Mountain States League between 1948 and 1952.

The team began in 1948 in Oak Ridge, Tennessee as the Oak Ridge Bombers but quickly moved to Hazard, Kentucky and took on the Hazard name.

Further, Hurricane Mills and Oak Ridge are four hours apart, about 240 miles from each other.

No such place.

Your link to Hazard, TN comes back to "page not found."

Old 07-23-2011, 11:31 PM

Thank you for your responce, and every thing you say I had previously discovered. I too found it interesting that one source told me that Hazard, Tennessee was a short distance from Hurrican Mills but when I focused on Oak Ridge I thought the mapquest mileage of 238 miles would be a bit farther then just up the road. It is possible that Hazard is no longer called Hazard Tennessee, for what ever reason. Many strange things have happened in Tennessee through the years, for example Oak Ridge had a population of 75,000 people, was the fifth largiest city in Tenessee for 7 years and was never marked on any maps. From what one gleens from the internet it would make good sense to conclude that Hazard Tennessee does not or never did exist, but live bodies that have been there will verify its does exist. Not sure what to believe, at this point, but the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak. I hope to get more information from them in the next week or two, as they are both on the road...Thanks

Bye the time I heard back from you I too had read, "The team began in 1948 in Oak Ridge, Tennessee as the Oak Ridge Bombers but quickly moved to Hazard, Kentucky and took on the Hazard name." However, I must consider all information and prove or disprove as appropriate.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-24-2011 at 09:01 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 04:59 AM

Let's hope that someone can give us more clues. I spent a fair amount of time researching an answer to your post so I will be eager to find a source that proves otherwise. If there is a place named Hazard, I guess that it is one of those areas where the people there are few residents and they named it so but there is no real official designation recognized by either the USPS or the State of TN. I still can't find anything that would point to there being such a place. As for what there was 60 years ago; I dunno.

Thank you also to Hik for your time answering the OP's question.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 AM

Yes...Thank you all for your research and input. Beretta may be right in stating; "I guess that it is one of those areas where the people there are few residents and they named it so but there is no real official designation recognized by either the USPS or the State of TN." As I stated in a previous post; "Other information I received is that Hazard, Tennessee (35 residents strong) is a very short distance from Loretta Lynn's home in Hurrican Mills, Tennessee." If that proves out, then Beretta may be correct. I will update this forum as new information becomes available. Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Let's hope that someone can give us more clues. I spent a fair amount of time researching an answer to your post so I will be eager to find a source that proves otherwise. If there is a place named Hazard, I guess that it is one of those areas where the people there are few residents and they named it so but there is no real official designation recognized by either the USPS or the State of TN. I still can't find anything that would point to there being such a place. As for what there was 60 years ago; I dunno.

Thank you also to Hik for your time answering the OP's question.
It's fair to say that you and I have read much of the same information (or lack of) on this subject. I find it puzzling that two separate individuals, people I trust bye the way, have stated it exists. One person claims that he has Hazard Tennessee marked on a map, that just happens to be in his storage locker. Only time will tell if any of this bares fruit. Thanks again!

I might also mention that I researched the cemetery registry with zero results. I must say I do love a good rabbit hunt.

You may want to check just east of Johnson City, Tn for Hazard, Tn. It will require your own independent verification, as there are no signs and not listed anywhere. My sources will remain private per agreement, but one might find someone in the local Christian Ministeries that might shed some light for you. My quest is over. Good luck and thanks for all the input...

Last edited by Beretta; 07-24-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 09:22 PM

Well, this one is case closed; there is no Hazard, TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee