Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 02:31 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have been doing the Pet finder thing. Great site. I have checked the breed rescues but aren't most of those dogs rescued from the puppy mills? I hear you are very likely to get inbreed and sick dogs if they were from the mills?
We are looking for a small dog. We would prefer one mixed with a poodle, but not a full blood. I prefer mixed mutts LOL! But because we have a kinda small house for all of us as it is, having a big dog in it wouldn't really be all that smart. I'd love to find a miniature snoodle, cockapoo or something along that size but we do not want a Chihuahua or Bisingy or other yippy dog. Picky I know LOL! I have found all those web sites in the last few days you spoke of.
I am glad to see TN is very conscious of over populating pets and how many no kill shelters there are around. Yea TN!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 03:40 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
Most rescues groups get animals from shelters when people turn them in because they don't understand the breed, or it got to big or they just didn't want it anymore.
There's a small breed rescue here:
Small Breed Rescue of East Tennessee
You may also need to look around Nashville or Atlanta or check the classifieds for breeders or available dogs. There seem to be fewer stray animals in East Tennessee than anywhere else I lived.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
There seem to be fewer stray animals in East Tennessee than anywhere else I lived.
So maybe this no selling of puppies and kittens in the pet stores is working really good then!
I agree with you, I can not recall seeing dogs running loose or along side the roads much at all here. Good thing, very good thing.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:39 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
I'm glad Petfinder.com was brought up. Just put in some of your preferences and zip code and you'll find a multitude of adoptable dogs. Usually there are a good number of puppies, too. If you're looking for one particular breed, chances are there will be some available. Some of the rescue groups are on Petfinder, too.

I think the lack of pet store puppies is a sign of progress. No reputable breeder sells to pet stores. I noticed a lot of puppies for sale at flea markets in TN, mostly toy sized, popular breeds. I wouldn't buy there, either. It's surprising how much you can pay for a dog with a slew of health problems, due to overbreeding for $$$.

Though there are lots of breeds I'm crazy about I've had my best luck with mixed breed dogs, as far as sanity and hardiness. And I'm not talking about the new designer breeds, either. Just mutts. After over 50 years of owning dogs, I'm starting to think that's the only way to go.
Mutts are best! I have some friends in the animal rescue business and they all say that by far the most appreciative comments come from people who've adopted mutts. We have two we adopted about 2 months ago. We sure love 'em and they are so happy to be with people who care! They were a little standoffish to begin with--it's no wonder--but they WANT to come around and be affectionate so it didn't take long for them to become family.

Good luck in your search, Mbmouse!

Old 09-17-2007, 12:16 AM

3 posts, read 19,054 times
Most stores are opting to have adoption groups instead of selling cats or dogs. Places like Scamps get puppies from not so reputable breeders and charge too much for them. There are MANY on Petfinder.com that need homes!

In Petco stores (At least on the West Coast) the majority will not have adoptable cats or dogs in the stores at all times. They have adoption groups that come in on weekends with animals available. The PetSmart in the area I'm in, along with a Petco, keep adoptable cats in kennel complexes there in the store. They have an application process so they can make sure that the animal is going to a forever home, not be thrown away 6 months later.

I'm a big fan of mixed dogs. I have two German Shepherd/Australian Shepherd mixes that have been the best. So many people I meet have no idea what their dogs are, and love them so much for that fact.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:28 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Pet stores aren't real a good place to buy a dog. Too many are supplied by puppy mills. Your best bet is either a breed rescue or a reputable breeder. Personally I prefer the animal shelters. We got our Lab there this spring. Best dog we've ever had. Some people look at us like we were nuts adopting a 10 yr old dog, but she still has some good years left and she is the most wonderful dog ever. From now on, any dogs we get will come from a shelter.
This is exactly what I was going to say! My husband and I have been involved in rescue work for quite a few years now and have started a rescue in town here as well. Pet stores are the worst place to buy a puppy or kitten, followed by your common back yard breeder.

Our family has 6 dogs and all are purebred dogs that were free rescues. They make phenomenal pets. With the overpopulation problems in this country now (did you know that an average 3-4 million pets a year are euthanized due to overpopulation / homelessness??) back yard breeders and pet mills / pet stores are the worst thing around.

Try Petfinder.com. Most of our pets came from there and we got them free. They came pre-trained - housebroken, up to date on all their vaccninations, already spayed and neutered. No puppies pottying on the floor while you rip your hair out trying to housebreak them. No chewed up shoes or clothes that a puppy manages to pull from a hamper. No insane medical bills for vaccinations, sterilization, etc. Rescues are the bomb!!

I'd be way more than happy to help you find the dog of your dream! I'm currently down to a female puppy now that is being trained for search and rescue, so not available for adoption, but I've been working with a cocker spaniel rescue that has - I believe - 6 cockers now looking for homes. And there are tons of them in TN on Petfinder needing homes.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Yes, I have been doing the Pet finder thing. Great site. I have checked the breed rescues but aren't most of those dogs rescued from the puppy mills? I hear you are very likely to get inbreed and sick dogs if they were from the mills?
We are looking for a small dog. We would prefer one mixed with a poodle, but not a full blood. I prefer mixed mutts LOL! But because we have a kinda small house for all of us as it is, having a big dog in it wouldn't really be all that smart. I'd love to find a miniature snoodle, cockapoo or something along that size but we do not want a Chihuahua or Bisingy or other yippy dog. Picky I know LOL! I have found all those web sites in the last few days you spoke of.
I am glad to see TN is very conscious of over populating pets and how many no kill shelters there are around. Yea TN!!!

Sorry. Got so excited that someone was looking for a pet I didn't read all the way through. Many rescues do take in puppy mill dogs / puppies, but they will make sure all of their vetting is done and they are sterilized before adopting them out. They also test them for temperment. Any dog they adopt out must be an excellent dog as they can be held liable for adopting one out that is unstable.

Also, if you want a poodle because you like poodles, great, but don't rule out other breeds because they are 'yappy'. We have 2 chihuahaus and they are excellent - not yappy at all and very well behaved. Every dog has the potential to be a yapper if they've not been properly raised and socialized. It's like saying all pit bulls or rottweilers are man eaters just because there have been some that bit someone. Yes, when they bite they do more damage, but poodles statistically bite more than pit bulls. It just doesn't make the news when a poodle does it because they seldom cause severe damage.

anyway anyway anyway................. I tend to get carried away when it comes to any kind of critter!! So, here's what I found:

Schnoodle - Ace - young male - in Alcoa, TN - Precious Paws Rescue
Ace - Schnauzer,Poodle - Petfinder.com PetNotes

There are also a couple purebred poodles listed.

There are 2 mini-doxies in Murfreesboro that need a home, but they must be adopted together.

There's a min pin mix in Decherd and they only are asking a $35 fee to adopt her.

Hang on............ I'll get ya more. For some reason they expect me to work while I'm here. LOL!!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:07 PM

Ok - here we go again..........

Boston terrier mix female in Johnson City

Tons of cocker spaniels in Lexington. (I've been trying to get ahold of the listing person for these 3 ads. I think it may be a breeder that's adopting out her dogs for some reason. They range from 4 months to 3 years)

Fiest (or rat terrier) in Knoxville young male

2 Doxies in Clinton TN - doesn't say if they'll seperate them

Terrier mix in Dandridge TN, 6 month old puppy

Cockapoo in Chattanooga - crate trained female

Hendersonville (near Nashville) is an 8 week old beagle mix

Another doxie in Chattanooga

This is so much fun!! I could do this all day long!!!!!

Yorkie / terrier or Beagle / bassett mix in Tazewell

Mini poodle in Nashville

American eskimo (spitz) in Nashville

Rat terrier / jack russel terrier in Knoxville

Shih tzu in Murfreesboro

Beagle in Mount Juliet

Jack russel / doxie mix in Chattanooga

Scottish terrier in Knoxville

2 rat terriers in Chattanooga - will seperate

Another rat terrier in Knoxville

Pug in Lebanon

Ok - that's it!! Keep in mind that places like Nashville aren't out of the question. We can set up a transport for you!!!

So, interested in any??

Old 09-17-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Well aren;t you soo sweet!

Thank you so much for looking into that for me, that was very nice of you! If I could, I'd give you a hug.
But we found our puppy! She wasn't at all what we were looking for and she really picked us even though she was the one in the kennel LOL!!! We got her from the local animal shelter.
Once we saw her and spent 2 minutes with her, that was it, we were wrapped right around her furry little paw.
She is a 1 year old (give or take a month or so) Terrier mix. We believe she is mostly Tibetan Terrier but is too tall and has a long straight tail so we know she is mixed with something but we don't care what she is, she is now part of our family. She is sitting next to me right now actually all curled up and spoiled hhahahhaa
Meet Trixie.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 PM

MB that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you found her. You are a life saver now!! Hugs right back atcha!!! She's adorable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee