Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 03:34 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the suburbs of Phoenix, but want to move to someplace that has fishing and boating. We would most likely put the AZ home up for rent, and I would prefer to not be a snowbird.

Our style of fishing has nothing to do with trophy's or big fish. We just like to have fun with it. Catch lots of stuff, release nearly all of them, but never be bored with the 'one bite an hour' kind of fishing (that's a GOOD day in Arizona!). We loved fishing in Cape Coral/Fort Myers, FL, but I don't believe the 6-7 months of humidity each summer will work well for my husband. Otherwise, SW Florida would be darn near perfect.

Tennessee has a year round, moderate climate in many areas and I've always thought it was a very pretty place (my dad retired to Hendersonville, NC, so I do know a little about the TN area). The climate is probably our #1 reason for relocating.

What is important to us:
  • Living in an area that has a a decent choice of restaurants (ethnic especially), happy hours, shopping within a ten minute drive. A longer drive would get us an even better selection. We find that suburbs of most medium cities are adequate.
  • Very close to good fishing and a marina. Or even lakefront living with a dock. We do not want to launch a boat every time we want to use it.
  • Prefer to live in an environment where there is a substantial population of retired folks. In fact, we would be open to a 55+ community (assuming it's not out in the boonies as many of them seem to be)
  • Access to a good, active pool hall for my husband within 25 miles. Again, we find that most medium size cities/suburbs have a billiard room or bar with pool tables where he can find his afternoon games.
  • We are definitely not rural dwellers. The idea of being isolated is NOT us. And we generally prefer newer homes and communities - we're okay with HOA's and 'cookie cutter' communities, if the location makes sense.
Budget between $200-$350K - and we would consider a condo if it had a view.

I believe that Chattanooga, Nashville and Knoxville all have possibilities. Do you agree? Are there others we should consider? We are wide open to ideas and suggestions (and yes, we will come out and visit first, then rent for 3-12 months, then buy.)

Thanks for your advice and thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:17 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I am not familiar enough with fishing or with the lake areas to give specific recommendations, but in the meantime here a couple of sites that might give you some ideas on communities to look at.

LENOIR CITY, TN All Retirement Communities and All Retirement Homes

Gated Private Master Planned Communities Page

I know there are some threads in the forums about some of these communities already, (like this one for example- //www.city-data.com/forum/knoxv...wes-ferry.html ) so if a place looks promising you could do a search here for more info.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:06 AM

62 posts, read 233,040 times
Knoxville area has lots of boating / fishing opportunities... Lenoir City, Tellico Lake, Fort Loudon Lake.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:02 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times
Paris and Maryville are always recommended towns.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:26 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Might be hard to find water front with a dock in the Knoxville area in your price range. Pretty easy to find stuff NEAR water in that price range.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:30 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We currently live in the suburbs of Phoenix, but want to move to someplace that has fishing and boating. We would most likely put the AZ home up for rent, and I would prefer to not be a snowbird.

Our style of fishing has nothing to do with trophy's or big fish. We just like to have fun with it. Catch lots of stuff, release nearly all of them, but never be bored with the 'one bite an hour' kind of fishing (that's a GOOD day in Arizona!). We loved fishing in Cape Coral/Fort Myers, FL, but I don't believe the 6-7 months of humidity each summer will work well for my husband. Otherwise, SW Florida would be darn near perfect.

Tennessee has a year round, moderate climate in many areas and I've always thought it was a very pretty place (my dad retired to Hendersonville, NC, so I do know a little about the TN area). The climate is probably our #1 reason for relocating.

What is important to us:
  • Living in an area that has a a decent choice of restaurants (ethnic especially), happy hours, shopping within a ten minute drive. A longer drive would get us an even better selection. We find that suburbs of most medium cities are adequate.
  • Very close to good fishing and a marina. Or even lakefront living with a dock. We do not want to launch a boat every time we want to use it.
  • Prefer to live in an environment where there is a substantial population of retired folks. In fact, we would be open to a 55+ community (assuming it's not out in the boonies as many of them seem to be)
  • Access to a good, active pool hall for my husband within 25 miles. Again, we find that most medium size cities/suburbs have a billiard room or bar with pool tables where he can find his afternoon games.
  • We are definitely not rural dwellers. The idea of being isolated is NOT us. And we generally prefer newer homes and communities - we're okay with HOA's and 'cookie cutter' communities, if the location makes sense.

I believe that Chattanooga, Nashville and Knoxville all have possibilities. Do you agree? Are there others we should consider? We are wide open to ideas and suggestions (and yes, we will come out and visit first, then rent for 3-12 months, then buy.)

If you plan on returning to visit Phoenix after moving in Tennessee, you'll probably want to live fairly close to Nashville since Southwest has a hub there and has direct flights to Phoenix. There are definitely lots of lakes in the Nashville area (say within an hour of Nashville). If you head east out of Nashville towards the Cumberland Plateau you'll find more lakes, waterfalls, gorges, etc., and it'll still be pretty convenient to the Nashville airport since the airport is on the east side of town.

The state of Tennessee has an official web site for retirees thinking of locating to Tennessee, and it lists 13 communities that it considers prime for retirees:
Retire Tennessee

In addition, the American Association of Retirement Communities has given its Seal of Approval to three Tennessee communities: Chattanooga, Cookeville, and Crossville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-28-2011, 10:25 PM

70 posts, read 174,028 times
Default Jkgourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

What is important to us:

As a recent retiree from So Cal., l moved to Cookeville. You might want to run a search on Cookeville itself. We have three lakes within 1/2 drive (all with marinas) and at least two rivers. For your budget you could buy a very very nice home that is less than five years old. We are 75 miles away from Nashville (one hour), and about 1 1/2 hours from Knoxville where they have the large shopping malls. Cookeville is no rural town, has a college, great hospital, symphony, etc., but five minutes in any direction and you are on peaceful two lane roads. I strongly suggest you check it out, and JMT, listed above, is a Cookeville advocate, just ask him. You won't find any nicer people anywhere you go.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:28 PM

67 posts, read 166,876 times
I totally LOVE Cookeville. It is in the middle of Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Nashville. Approximately 100 miles from each. It is SO incredibly NICE. Good people, good weather, and a BEAUTIFUL town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee