Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 05:48 AM

81 posts, read 308,956 times

Advertisements

Now I'm curious about the direction of your prevailing winds and from what direction do most of your storms come out of?
After reading some of the posts re: air pollution, I guess I was surprised that some of the problem is attributed to Ohio and Virgina. I had thought it would be from the south or south west and the moutains would protect (Tri-Cities specifically) from some of the eastern and north-eastern storms.
I know here in southern Nevada we get much from southern California... especially the smoke from wild fires.
I'm not disputing anyones information, just plain curious.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 06:18 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
Mostly they come from the southwest or west, occasionally from the northwest, and more rarely, the northeast. You can generally follow a storm across Tennessee from west to east.

The worst winter storms are when the moist air coming up from the Gulf in a clockwise direction, meets up with a cold front coming down from the north or northwest (an "Arctic Clipper"). Often times we miss a major storm by only a hundred miles or so; it will be snowing heavily a hundred miles to the north because that's where the two fronts clash, but we will only get rain, or it will be clear if the cold front has already passed over us and it's meeting the Gulf air to south of us--it that case the Gulf air is generally stronger and they'll get the rain to the south (ever so often the northern front will be stronger and then it will snow in places like Atlanta and southern Georgia).

This is the general pattern for Tennessee. I'm not sure how the mountains of East Tennessee effect the localized weather pattern.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Thanks AlleyCat

Your information clarifies things and is kind of what I had thought. I'm also thinking the mountains along the eastern border probably "kinda" stop some of the storms or fronts coming up from the Gulf and western U.S and that's why they get all that rain.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:47 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times
ALML, as Alleycat previously stated, the winds generally move from west to east with some seasonal and localized variations. Winters often bring the weather more from the Northwest to South East direction in clearly defined frontal systems. During the summers it is more west to east with moisture from the gulf colliding with cooler dry air from the north which gives us much of our rain.

As to the Smokie Mountains effecting local weather, this is usually when there is little pressure differential and winds are low. It is much more noticeable during the early morning and evening hours.

If you would like historical weather data, you may want to check out the NOAA or Accuweather sites as they have some decent information. Also they are currently working on high resolution wind maps for Tennessee and Kentucky if you would like to look at the wind patterns.

Wind Powering America: U.S. Wind Resource Map

some interesting information there.

good luck

Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 AM

Thank you TnHilltopper !!! I will check out that site. Appreciate the information. Although purely academic, I was stubbling over how pollution could get to Tn. from Ohio. It sure won't change my plans as I'm not sure there are any populated areas left that doesn't have some sort of air pollution. If pollution exposure was my top priority, I would be more concerned re: the number of carcinogens emitted from the interior of new cars...LOL....but then maybe that's why I keep driving my car that has over 200,000 mi. on it

Old 08-17-2007, 09:19 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALML View Post
Thank you TnHilltopper !!! I will check out that site. Appreciate the information. Although purely academic, I was stubbling over how pollution could get to Tn. from Ohio. It sure won't change my plans as I'm not sure there are any populated areas left that doesn't have some sort of air pollution. If pollution exposure was my top priority, I would be more concerned re: the number of carcinogens emitted from the interior of new cars...LOL....but then maybe that's why I keep driving my car that has over 200,000 mi. on it
I would assume that the most pollution in the area (besides that from cars and trucks) comes from the TVA's coal-fired plants. I haven't heard much about them recently, but at one time they were pretty "dirty". I think there were plans for them to install more efficient scrubbers, but I don't know whether they have or not.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:02 PM

I agree with you Alleycat re: the coal fired plants. Here it is cars, dust and who knows what from all the above and in ground atomic testing........ya just have to pick your poison I guess. LauraC had a very good suggestion in another thread that people should compare their present living area to where they want to move. When researching areas I came across a number of sites re: pollution that were pretty extensive. I do have empathy for people who suffer from allergies and/or asthma and it would certainly pay one to (as you all encourage) research, research, research. With the Net you can find out more than you want to know but at least one can make a reasonably informed decision PLUS all you regulars on the forum are so good to give a local perspective to that information. Kudos and Thanks.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:17 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times
ALML, although I don't have it handy, I just recently read a state allergy index that showed that the Memphis area and Tri-Cities area were the two worst areas for allergies in the state. The best being the east central plateau. shhhhh don't tell anyone, its a secret.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
ALML, although I don't have it handy, I just recently read a state allergy index that showed that the Memphis area and Tri-Cities area were the two worst areas for allergies in the state. The best being the east central plateau. shhhhh don't tell anyone, its a secret.
I'm not sure of what area the east central plateau would be. Would that be Union and Campbell counties? I came across a site some time ago that gave so much information it was actually a bit scary. As all states seem to have problems I decided to ignore it but I highlighted these counties as well as White county on our map and I'm thinking they rated pretty good.
My husband and I plan to rent "where ever" before we actually buy so hopefully that will give us an idea of how well we like any given area.
I'm beginning to think we should buy HUGE road signs and put them up on all roads leading into the Tri-City area with an allergy warning in RED... maybe that would slow the growth and keep the air cleaner until we get there

By the way I checked out that site.....From the Macro map it sure doesn't look like Tn. gets much wind at least not like we do here. That is going to be nice. Some place with real breezes instead of gales Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee