Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:57 PM

451 posts, read 1,366,065 times

Advertisements

First off, let me say "Bless your hearts" and "no offense, but..."

When hubby and I were in FL we were really intimidated by the aggressive drivers on all sides. Travelling from place to place was an ordeal and not a pleasure at all. We were glad to return to good old TN where people seem to practice more common courtesy.

We notice when on the interstate, if there is a rude or aggressive driver who causes a disruption in the flow of traffic, it will invariably be a vehicle with FL license tags.

Tennessee welcomes all you Floridians to our state, but now that you are here, RELAX!! You really don't have to ride our tailgates or honk at us if we are 2 seconds late jumping out of a green light. You don't have to try to muscle in front of us... if you just let us know you'd like to get in, we will let you! You aren't in FL anymore and the rat race here is more like a rat stroll. If you just start out a little earlier, you won't be late... Relax, enjoy our beautiful scenery. The people are friendly and will smile and wave and be courteous to you if you give us a chance.

Hope i haven't offended. Just wanted to remind you that you've left your stresses behind and can now drive with a smile instead of a frown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 07:38 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,308,064 times
I had to laugh as I read your post - when I first moved to Orlando I was annoyed by the constant people switching lanes- blowing horns and cutting other cars off - but now that I've been here for a couple of years I'm guilty of all that and more...I blame it on tourism lol darn that Mickey Mouse

Old 08-17-2007, 08:30 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,138,054 times
Disney, a trap set by a rat to catch people

>grins< NOW you know why Mickey is always smiling.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:18 PM

192 posts, read 855,386 times
Oh, so true! We purchased vacation property in the Chattanooga area in July just got back to Tampa on wed. This morning I forgot to look both ways after I got the green light and was almost killed by 2 others running the red light, welcome back to FL.
I sure hope this does not spread to Tn as it was so nice to just relax and enjoy the scenery.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:02 AM

24,766 posts, read 28,341,983 times
It's that "clean" air you have!!! Here it's the rotting vegetation from are so called clean lakes and rivers that pollutes the air, which makes us Floridians aggressive drivers.....can't wait too get out of here...

Old 08-18-2007, 08:19 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,229,888 times
Maybe we could talk the state into some kind of posted notice to all new comers at the state lines? A sign something like "Welcome to TN, now please relax the grip on your steering wheel, use your indicators and not your horns"
Just a thought hhehehehhee

Old 08-18-2007, 08:47 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,126,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Maybe we could talk the state into some kind of posted notice to all new comers at the state lines? A sign something like "Welcome to TN, now please relax the grip on your steering wheel, use your indicators and not your horns"
Just a thought hhehehehhee
Uh, we might need a remedial course in Nashville and surrounding counties. We kind of think of traffic rules and speed limits as "optional" here. Not me, of course.

There used to be a joke in Nashville explaining to the locals what those blinking things were on the rear end of cars from out-of-state. Ah, turn signals! How clever.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:42 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,651,603 times
I learned to drive on the streets of Miami, and can't wait to loosen my grip on the wheel. Never was much of a horn-honker

Old 08-18-2007, 09:52 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,992,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
There used to be a joke in Nashville explaining to the locals what those blinking things were on the rear end of cars from out-of-state. Ah, turn signals! How clever.
So funny but so true blinkers are an option in many places, but drives me nuts and NC is the only place that I've seen it, the driver immediately behind a driver who is turning left will sometimes put their blinker on as well "to let the people behind them know that the front driver is turning". Wow that almost makes sense, but it is totally wrong!!

Anyway, I grew up in NC in the mountains and I always dreaded a summer drive on the parkway due to the Floridians "straightening out" the curves, i.e. about half the time you went into a curve, there was a car with FL tags in my lane trying hard not to be "in" a curve. With all of those flat roads in FL, they don't know how to turn that dang wheel.

Hopefully they'll learn to drive slowly, fast. It seems like on the FL forum, half of the state is planning on moving to TN or NC.

Tony

Old 08-18-2007, 01:34 PM

250 posts, read 1,466,155 times
Actually we were in Tennessee a few weeks ago and we found the opposite...some drivers in the parts of Tennessee we visited were tailgating and agressive...this was mostly in Pigeon Forge area (and i stress some drivers not all) This makes me wonder as you say driving in Florida was stressful for you. Where we live (by the beach the driving is mostly calm and laid back) but we go to Orlando and Disney and you take your life in your own hands and I admit to being stressed up there...so maybe it is the type of area that causes stressful driving as we found Pigoen forge area to be similar to Orlando in the sense of Dollywood etc.!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee