Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 12:32 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,645,708 times

Advertisements

General Motors Co.'s tentative four-year labor contract reached Friday with the United Auto Workers will raise pay for entry-level workers and include a signing bonus of about $5,000, people familiar with the deal said Saturday.

The deal will create a new profit-sharing formula and tie workers' pay to vehicle quality, these people said. GM also agreed to reopen an assembly plant in Spring Hill, Tenn., which had been idled as part of the auto maker's restructuring.

GM-UAW Deal Includes Pay Hike for Entry-Level Workers - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 06:10 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,244,152 times
Oh, a new opportunity to screw Spring Hill/Maury County!

Again.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,350,670 times
I'm not a fan of how GM has handled things there...but this is some good news for an area hurting for some good news.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:02 PM

True, but I'm sure they'll pull the same crap in another 5 years or so. My dad got out by taking a retirement package a few years ago, but some other folks we know wound up relocating BACK to Michigan. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I think Columbia is a hopeless case no matter what though.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
True, but I'm sure they'll pull the same crap in another 5 years or so. My dad got out by taking a retirement package a few years ago, but some other folks we know wound up relocating BACK to Michigan. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I think Columbia is a hopeless case no matter what though.
My brother's father in law was in that situation...I think he retires in a year or so. His family is staying in Tennessee while he works till retirement.

I don't think Columbia is hopeless, though. Any reason why you would think that?

Old 09-18-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
My brother's father in law was in that situation...I think he retires in a year or so. His family is staying in Tennessee while he works till retirement.

I don't think Columbia is hopeless, though. Any reason why you would think that?
I don't know. When my family moved down there in '94, Columbia seemed to be doing ok, and Spring Hill was the little tiny town. Since then, roles have reversed, Columbia can't really keep high quality retailers (especially in that mall, ugh), crime seems to be higher ... it just seems to get a little more sad every time I go back to visit. Then again, at least it didn't turn into the planning DISASTER that is Spring Hill. I actually watch the newspaper for stupid SH planning decisions. My favorite move was when they revoked the property tax. I thought the idea of turning the town in a giant strip mall was stupid until I started hearing about the theme park thing haha.

I think location is a big part of what's making Columbia struggle. It's a bit of a hike from the expressway, and, at least since the economy's been bad, it's not worth it to live in Columbia and drive to Cool Springs or Nashville, seeing as those have been the major job centers since Saturn (er, GM, sorry, force of habit!) left.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I don't know. When my family moved down there in '94, Columbia seemed to be doing ok, and Spring Hill was the little tiny town. Since then, roles have reversed, Columbia can't really keep high quality retailers (especially in that mall, ugh), crime seems to be higher ... it just seems to get a little more sad every time I go back to visit. Then again, at least it didn't turn into the planning DISASTER that is Spring Hill. I actually watch the newspaper for stupid SH planning decisions. My favorite move was when they revoked the property tax. I thought the idea of turning the town in a giant strip mall was stupid until I started hearing about the theme park thing haha.

I think location is a big part of what's making Columbia struggle. It's a bit of a hike from the expressway, and, at least since the economy's been bad, it's not worth it to live in Columbia and drive to Cool Springs or Nashville, seeing as those have been the major job centers since Saturn (er, GM, sorry, force of habit!) left.
I think Columbia is just experiencing what a lot of towns its size and smaller have experienced in the past 20-30 years. It's growing...but slowly (seems to be more natural increase than relocations.

You're right about it being off of the interstate (it's 6-8 miles, I think) likely being a big part of the issue. It's too far from Nashville to be a real commuter town, but not far enough or big enough to attract major development. When they finally widen the interstate, though, it might help a bit. The 2 lane interstate is too crowded right now. They're widening I-65 to TN 840...and they need to widen it on to Saturn Parkway. If they do that, it will make the commute a lot easier.

One thing Columbia lacks that a lot of other non-suburban towns have is a college or university in the area to help out with growth and jobs.

Also, agreed on Spring Hill's (lack of) growth policy. At least Columbia has some good bones as far as road infrastructure.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:34 PM

233 posts, read 721,384 times
Recently left Columbia, TN and must say that I am very glad for the folks there that something will be coming back to that plant!
With that being said, I do agree that the roads in Columbia are much better than those in Spring Hill. However, that's just a small part of the overall picture. Regardless, I hope the 2 new products coming to the Spring Hill plant over the next year or so will help the area come to life. Best wishes to all those who have had a tough row to hoe over the last 2 years since the plant was shut down, other than the 4 cylinder engine work. Small businesses will pick up and perhaps housing will start to move as well.
We made our choice, but certainly wish the best for everyone there. It may help slow down the not so good elements of the area (crime, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee