Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,320 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in our early 30's with a pre-schooler and a toddler. I am a Deputy Sheriff and she is an office/accounting manager. We live in central Mississippi and would like to move to East TN next year in the late spring/early summer.

Here are my questions:

Has anyone here moved from MS to East TN and if so, what are your thoughts?

Which area of East TN would be better for my wife to find a good job, Chat. or Knox?

Which area has the best schools?

Which area is the most family-friendly, ie: safest, parks, community events, etc....

Any other help and advice is greatly appreciated!!!

We are taking our first "scouting trip" to the area next month followed by another in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 07:24 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
We are not from MS but are transplants. Knoxville has the lowest unemployment rate of the largest MSAs. Very good schools. Great park system. 43 miles of greenways. Beautifully restored downtown. Very family friendly. Moving here was the best decision we ever made. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
I grew up in MS, and we lived in Chatt for two years. It's a beautiful city. You can't go wrong with either. Just start looking for work, and the first place you get, go. I don't think you'd regret moving to either.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:59 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
I was born, raised, and educated in Mississippi (MSU), and have lived in Chattanooga for 6 years after a few years in Kansas City. I don't know enough about Knoxville to compare the two, but I've never regretted the move to Chattanooga.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:14 AM

9 posts, read 19,728 times
Born and raised in Chattanooga.

Lived a couple years in Hattiesburg. The people were so much more friendly there.

Remember the hateful looks we got the night we drove back into Chattanooga at the Waffle House, back in '81.

Still wish, I had never came back... still hope to return, though the small town has grown up.

Should you choose Chattanooga, Signal Mountain is my top choice. Affordable areas can be found - you'll find many in the police force living there, along with judges and lawyers.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewishes View Post
Born and raised in Chattanooga.

Lived a couple years in Hattiesburg. The people were so much more friendly there.

Remember the hateful looks we got the night we drove back into Chattanooga at the Waffle House, back in '81.

Still wish, I had never came back... still hope to return, though the small town has grown up.

Should you choose Chattanooga, Signal Mountain is my top choice. Affordable areas can be found - you'll find many in the police force living there, along with judges and lawyers.
I have been slammed many times for saying it, but there is a very different vibe in Chattanooga. We almost lived there, but the employment opportunities were very limited. That was during the boom! It's interesting that with VW and all their UI is still not as good as Knoxville's.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:37 PM

352 posts, read 883,087 times
We have bad UI, because of the entitlement of the persons who live here who don't think they need to work as long as they are getting a hand out.
Plus, with the amount of people moving here looking for positions, it is going to look bad for a bit.

Last time I had this chat with you hiknapster , you had only dealt with people from Chattanooga on the phone. Don't think that qualifies you as a "vibe" feeler.

As far as the original poster , downsouthdeputy, hamilton County Sheriffs Dept is an excellent place to work. Excellent benefits, and of course, all the same gripes . But a really great place to work (no I don't work there) and LOTS of job opporutities a coming and are already here.
Take your trips, and check them both out. When you state Chattanooga, most of us Chattanoogans consider Hixson, Red Bank, East Ridge, Lakesite, Soddy, Suck Creek...etc, etc......as Chattanooga, though that is Hamilton County. Tons of info is online about Hamilton County and Chattanooga.
Enjoy your search and good luck!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:30 PM

I almost lived in Chattanooga. I most certainly have been there many times and have dealt with people directly and on the phone.

It wasn't for us. That doesn't mean it isn't a fit for someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee