U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2006, 09:57 AM

38 posts, read 115,952 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am new to the forum. My daughter and her husband are considering moving to Middle Tennessee 2 yrs from now and if they do, they want me to move with them.
He is in Columbia Tennessee right now looking at some properties and the idea is maintain this home as a second home for 2 years and then move.
I am a bit concerned with the change.
Could someone maybe help me?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 01:20 PM

11 posts, read 31,533 times
I grew up in Columbia and, after many years away (including 4 in Gainesville, FL) my husband and I are returning there this summer. We are delighted at the home prices, especially compared to Florida's. You will not believe how low the property taxes are in this area!

There is a good mix of new development and older, established homes that would be a lot of fun to remodel. Lots are typically fairly large compared to Florida's, and the older homes are in friendly neighborhoods convenient to shopping centers and supermarkets.

The one thing I would mention is that we are cautious about the resale value on a home in this area. Paired with the wonderfully low housing prices and low property taxes is the fact that Columbia does not have the home turnover that so many communities in Florida have experienced, and you would probably not make any money on the resale in 2 years. I would talk to a local realtor to find out what they think about it (maybe they would recommend a new development vs. buying an older home).

If you do find yourself in Columbia, I strongly recommend getting involved in local activiites - take a continuing ed class at the community college, take daily walks along the local park trails, volunteer your time at a school or sports activity. There are all kinds of things to become involved in - and will really enhance your overall experience.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:11 PM

114 posts, read 573,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFly View Post
The one thing I would mention is that we are cautious about the resale value on a home in this area........ and you would probably not make any money on the resale in 2 years.
I don't think there are many places in the ENTIRE COUNTRY right now where you can buy a home and expect to make money on it in 2 years!!!! And frankly, I am happy about that. Things got way out of hand in the housing market between 2002-2006, and the price escalation is just not sustainable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: