Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 08:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,843,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I guess the question would be, Why do you not feel violated by random road blocks and spot checks and what might the next generation not feel violates their freedom in fifty years if they become "use to it"?
I understand your point and I am not a fan of big brother. As far as road blocks and weigh station checks, well we have to have some sort of way to keep roads safe for everyone. I dont feel violated showing my DL because it gets drunk drivers off the road. Would we be better off having no law enforcement. Letting ppl DUI, run drugs and illegals across the interstate system with no regulation so as not to violate anyones privacy. There has to be some kind of balance.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:18 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,069,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall84 View Post
Can you tell me more about this extra info they want? My family and I are looking at moving to Tn next summer.

REAL ID Act of 2005 ....is the name, numerous articles on it.

[LEFT]The primary benefit of REAL ID is to increase incrementally U.S. national security by reducing
the vulnerability to criminal or terrorist activity of federal buildings, nuclear facilities, and[/LEFT]
aircraft.

Florida implemented it this year....I hear TN will follow next year and the costs will be Millions for the data storage.....

DHS | REAL ID Final Rule (http://www.dhs.gov/files/laws/gc_1172765386179.shtm - broken link)

Last edited by Bones; 10-23-2011 at 09:43 AM..

Old 10-23-2011, 09:30 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I understand your point and I am not a fan of big brother. As far as road blocks and weigh station checks, well we have to have some sort of way to keep roads safe for everyone. I dont feel violated showing my DL because it gets drunk drivers off the road. Would we be better off having no law enforcement. Letting ppl DUI, run drugs and illegals across the interstate system with no regulation so as not to violate anyones privacy. There has to be some kind of balance.
I agree that there needs to be a balance. I am willing to give up some things in return for others, to an extent.
I think my opinions have been colored by the Katherine Smith 9/11 incident that took place in Memphis. This happened just down the road from where I lived, so I'm not so quick to say that this type of thing only happens someplace else or only to other people. I also believe that somebody around this woman knew something was off, but they chose to ignore it with terrible consequences.
There is such a fine line between respecting other peoples right to privacy and deciding that some situations call for outside involvement. If you suspect your neighbors are beating their children or running a meth lab from their home do you just ignore it because of their right to privacy?

Old 10-23-2011, 12:57 PM

529 posts, read 363,752 times
I tried figuring out exactly what other info they would want but couldn't figure it out anyone know? I can't believe ANY state would go through with this.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Quote:
I tried figuring out exactly what other info they would want but couldn't figure it out anyone know? I can't believe ANY state would go through with this.
By Googling:

The Day - Gold star licenses to be optional in Connecticut | News from southeastern Connecticut

This is for CT, which will begin this next month:

To obtain a gold star license, motorists must show two forms of acceptable identity, two documents proving Connecticut residence, such as a utility bill, and either a Social Security card or W-2 Form that is no more than 5 years old.
Acceptable identity documents include a birth certificate, passport, marriage license, pistol permit or military ID, among other options. A full list of acceptable documents is posted on the DMV website, ct.gov/selectCTid.

Here's why:

Motorists can legally drive with either license. But beginning in 2017, under federal regulations stemming from the REAL ID Act of 2005, individuals who don't possess a gold star license may face longer waits and additional screening procedures at airports, courthouses and federal buildings.

Right now Florida and Nevada issue them.

Once again, this is a FEDERAL mandate from 2005.

The TN state website says that REAL ID driver's licenses are suppose to have begun last January. I renewed my driver's license last Thursday and nowhere did it have an info on this. Not one mention. I know when I first got my TN license in 2007 I had to have a birth certificate, my SS card and a utility bill so maybe I am good to go. I'll let you all know if it looks any different than usual.

The original post barely resembles the facts. These random inspections are taking place at weigh stations for trucks. The report says that they "aren't any more thorough than normal."

It's Happening: TSA on the Streets of America - YouTube

But now the thread has people afraid to move to Tennessee.

Hey, whatever happened to the colored dots under some folk's mailboxes? Anyone find one? Anyone get sent to reeducation camps? No?

Excuse me while I adjust my tinfoil hat.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:19 PM

529 posts, read 363,752 times
Lol...I was just curious if it was any more intrusive than they already are.Doesn't seem like it so I am still considering Tn.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:24 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,069,330 times
Quote:
Lol...I was just curious if it was any more intrusive than they already are.Doesn't seem like it so I am still considering Tn.
Proof of birth with a raised seal.....marriage license if you changed your name....

Old 10-23-2011, 05:59 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
...The original post barely resembles the facts. These random inspections are taking place at weigh stations for trucks. The report says that they "aren't any more thorough than normal"...
Actually there is a critical difference. The TSA is now involved. You know, those poorly educated, poorly trained, immature and unprofessional individuals who provide "security" at the airports. The ones who make up their own rules on the spot and abuse and harass people. Now that they are out of the airports, why do you expect they won't continue to extend their reach. They've been at train stations, subway stations, bus stations, bus stops, and now weigh stations.

I think it's entirely reasonable to assume they'll be searching your car at highway rest stops in a few years. After all Al Qadea may have secretly planted a bomb in the family SUV and brainwashed dad to drive it into the state capitol. Can't be too careful now. Anything for security. You have nothing to hide, do you? After all, nothing bad has ever come out of allowing the government to monitor peoples lives!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:09 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
Ok, this is the only and final warning. This has gone off target from the original post. You cannot see the posts that have been deleted for being off topic. So, back on topic or close it is.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
When they frisk me at the rest stop, without probable cause, I'll take action. Until then I will expect my government to keep my family safe. If they had been more on their toes before 9/11 we wouldn't have been attacked. Funny, the day of the attack the people said that they understood that more security was going to be a hassle but that it was warranted. Now we have some people holing up in caves and worrying about a new world order and the Denver Airport.

The original post states that my federal government is a threat and that I will have to have my papers in order before traveling in my state. None of that holds true in the article that was linked, real or implied. More histrionic hyperbole that is attempting to rattle the cages of residents of a state that the OP doesn't even live in.

No one asked me but I think the thread should be closed. The post had a political agenda and did not represent the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee