Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times

Advertisements

Ya know, reading these last few posts makes me chuckle. People think living anywhere near a NPP (nuke power plant) is somehow dangerous or all the fish will have 3 eyes or whatever. Or the best one, what happens if (pick your disaster) happens and there's a meltdown or release? Well for those that think y'all have it better off living a distance away or in another state where there is no NPP's there's one thing you have to remember, it's something called WIND. Think of Japan's meltdown and how big an area was/is affected. Some of the radiation fallout was actually detected in CA of all places.

As for living in valleys, well we don't live in a valley here but deal with huge dust storms regularly (several have made national news lately) that carry all sorts of fungus,germs,feces,dead material of all stripes (funny enough least of all dirt) and bring on all sorts of ills like valley fever.

Oh wait, you can move to CA... Oh darn, those pesky earthquakes No warning and in short order your world is literally crumbling around you with NO warning and no real way to protect yourself (I lived through the last large quake in the bay area that flattened a whole freeway).

Well, those tornado's are horrible, I want to go somewhere they're NOT! Well, let's go to Montana! Surprise!! There were at least 3 within a short period when we lived there not to mention butt numbing COLD.
We're moving to TN shortly and while I'd probably not move into a "tornado alley" the last few years have shown that tornado activity can happen anywhere at any time.
As for lung cancer or cancer in general, after having people around me die of many different types of cancer (some very rare) and in different states with no direct correlation of cause I've come to the conclusion that the only place to avoid living is in a superfund site, the rest is a complete cra*shoot.

The bottom line? If you're number is up well, it's up, game over. You can ask whomever you meet on the other side what you should've done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:11 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I've had this discussion numerous times on the forums. You cannot find anywhere that has not been disrupted by man in this country. Someone once named a place that was suppose to be so remote as to be safe and within minutes I had found drilling, polluted streams and numerous other issues. But there is more going on than that, I think. I've been on City-Data long enough to see that sometimes people will come back and pick apart an area - or several areas - when they realize they are not able to move at that time.

When are you going to come cook for me, JimJ? I've been waiting for you to move here for years. And for the record, you ended up moving somewhere else first but always had nice things to say about the great state of Tennessee.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've had this discussion numerous times on the forums. You cannot find anywhere that has not been disrupted by man in this country. Someone once named a place that was suppose to be so remote as to be safe and within minutes I had found drilling, polluted streams and numerous other issues. But there is more going on than that, I think. I've been on City-Data long enough to see that sometimes people will come back and pick apart an area - or several areas - when they realize they are not able to move at that time.

When are you going to come cook for me, JimJ? I've been waiting for you to move here for years. And for the record, you ended up moving somewhere else first but always had nice things to say about the great state of Tennessee.
Wellllllllllll, we're flying out Jan 5th to find a house to buy. We had to make a stop in AZ (unfortunately) to get our son (who has autism) settled in his dorm at ASU and save major $$$ getting in state tuition.

Now we're ready (really,really,really ready) to go where we wanted to be years ago. We'll definitely have to meet up, maybe at an event as we now have an Ice Cream concession trailer where we hand scoop the stuff and my better half makes an awesome brownie sundae!

As for talking about TN, there's good and bad everywhere but in some places the good outweighs the bad and for us that's always been the south in one way or another. Specifically, TN is where many things come together to create what we are looking for. Hopefully the houses don't all sell out by the time we get there!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:34 PM

224 posts, read 551,271 times
Yes actually I'm not thrilled that I wasn't able to find a nice house under 10k but at least I looked. That's honestly not my issue with nuclear power. I'm just learning stuff. I love TN. Those nuke plants don't last forever. I see all over the country where they're closed down and just sitting there. Eventually we're going to have to learn to conserve and do with less. Why spoil such a pretty place?

Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Fossil fuel plants will spoil a pretty place, too. I guess we should go without power. You want to go first?

By the way, how do you think power supplies your abode in Florida? The power fairy?

http://www.eia.gov/cneaf/nuclear/sta...lorida/fl.html

Old 01-16-2012, 06:44 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacoyle View Post
Yes actually I'm not thrilled that I wasn't able to find a nice house under 10k but at least I looked. That's honestly not my issue with nuclear power. I'm just learning stuff. I love TN. Those nuke plants don't last forever. I see all over the country where they're closed down and just sitting there. Eventually we're going to have to learn to conserve and do with less. Why spoil such a pretty place?
"A nice house under 10,000" is unrealistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee