Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Don’t change Tennessee, Pennsylvania residents, real estate and chain stores eating up old timey places, retirement area for outsiders, Oak Ridge, corporate greed

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

This argument (conversation) is soooo familiar, remove TN and insert MT! We are moving to TN when our house sells mostly for the weather. We are in an area that is seeing EXACTLY what is described by Hicknapster and others and while it is desturbing we are finding there's not much that can be done to stop it. Growth is going to happen, migration is happening on a huge scale right now so how do you enlighten the newcomers that bringing their expectations of stores,shopping,stores,malls,chain restaraunts to TN is not what will endear them to those already living there? If you move to a rural area, then it's rural, you chose it so please don't complain that (insert convienience here) is not there for you.

We are dealing with 2 factions here, retired people bringing money from where they lived, seeing inexpensive homes (reletive to what they sold) and buying them, causing the locals to subdivide family farms (thar's gold in them thar hills) and sell off. Then they complain that this isn't here or that isn't here or things work too slow for them etc.... The other faction is the group that want's all developement stopped, or if allowed at all that it be done in a high density cluster style like San Francisco and then make all other land off limits open space. If they could get armed people at the border and get away with it they would....
The biggest thing about moving to an area like yours or ours is to leave your old life back where you came from (there was a reason you left) and assimilate into the place you chose to move to.
I don't believe that just by moving to a place you change it for the worse as some do here, I think you can enhance a place if you take the time to see how things are done and blend in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 11:19 AM

47 posts, read 141,439 times
I dont want to change it, it sounds great the way it is, and you're right - change it to what we hate? No way. Im 26 and I want to live somewhere nice and I can stay there and be happy. And build a retirement!!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:16 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Post It isn't retirees who are the problem; it is so many things.

As a "forced" retired couple, my husband and I hear this from every area we have considered spending our remaining years in.

If you look at the Avg. Age thread that is now on the TN forum you will notice that most posters who are responding are not retirees, but are people in the 20's, 30's and 40's. Yes, there are a lot of retirees migrating to TN, but they are also flocking to PA (my family there complains about it all of the time), CO, NM, TX, NC, SC, - everywhere!

We have the largest number of folks ever born in one generation, i.e. babyboomers, all seeking a place to land finally. We also have a mobile society like we have never experienced before. Therefore, when retirement finally does come, there is no home to return to. Our 4 sons range in age from 21 to 38 yrs. old and they live in not just 4 different states, but 4 different corners of the country (MI, CT, TX, and GA). Where do we choose to live? Who should we live the closest to? There is no answer.

We have many posters in this very active forum who are looking for employment because where they are now is experiencing a downturn in their area's economy. There are not many 60 or 70 somethings coming in to take jobs from a Tennessee native. If anything, seniors generate jobs, pay property and sales taxes, buy necessary consumer goods; all without asking anything back except for a nice library, a yummy ice cream store and a safe neighborhood to live in.

Most of our brothers, sisters, cousins, etc. have been caught in the same corporate bru-haha (sp?) that my husband and I are in. Companies don't care how many times they rip you from your roots, give you just enough time to be planted in a new place, and then they tear you up again. Guess what, folks? You hit 55 or 60 and they don't think you are up to the game anymore and no matter how hard you work, no matter how energetic you feel, you are now disposable because there is a much younger version of "old you"!

And now, sadly, we even feel this unwanted, even undesirable, sentiment crawling down our necks when we are just trying to find a home, a place of sanctuary with good neighbors, the beauty of this country we lived in before there was a population explosion of people who don't care where they throw their empty soda cans. We all hope to find it in different places, but it is getting to be a matter of trying to be invisible so we as a class of people don't rile our newfound hometown residents.

It is very sad because you are missing a treasure trove of good, honest, hard-working mature adults who spend their leisure years volunteering, keeping those wanting jobs employed by their presence, and an abundance of wisdom from all of the "been there, done that" that we love to share.

I know of very few retirees in our generation who are wealthy and are out to live off of the fat of the land. Most of the baby-boomers started their careers with a company pension and some SS to look forward to sustaining them when they hit 65. Lo and behold, when people of our generation hit 40 and 45, the companies said, "We were just kidding! No more pensions - they are gone; we're broke!" So, at 45 yrs. old, suddenly we have to start our IRA and 401K's that all of the young folks today start right off the bat. How much money do you think you can accumulate in a 15 yr. period in your 401 K's and IRA's? Not anything near what our children will have when they retire. I, and most other retirees, will be destined to be coupon clippers for the rest of their lives.

We don't want to change any area we move into; we just want to be accepted as good new members of a neighborhood family and offer as much support and love to our new home spot as we can. We put in our time, saved and lived frugally and now just want a warm, friendly place where we feel wanted and respected. We have no other home than the one you allow us to make near your home.

Just as we try not to make generalizations about mt. people or people of minority religions or backgrounds, please don't generalize about the senior citizens. If you drive out to those ritzy golf course communities, you will see many people in their 30's and 40's making big money, buying vacation homes or their primary home in your backyard spending way to much $ for their own good. Drive through their neighborhoods. You will be amazed at the number of grade school children playing in the yards. Grandpop may be playing with them, but he isn't footing the bill.

Be gracious to a senior today. Your mom is probably one, too.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:13 PM

26 posts, read 129,848 times
Default gemthornton

One of the best posts I have ever read. You hit a home run, and I can easily sympathize with the truths you so eloquently elaborated on. I know all too well about "corporate america"... they're shooting themselves in the foot by dispensing of us middle agers. It will haunt them in the long run, if they're still around.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:20 PM

Wink Thanks, crossvibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossvibe View Post
One of the best posts I have ever read. You hit a home run, and I can easily sympathize with the truths you so eloquently elaborated on. I know all too well about "corporate america"... they're shooting themselves in the foot by dispensing of us middle agers. It will haunt them in the long run, if they're still around.
Thanks for letting me know that, crossvibe. It is encouraging to know that there are folks around who do understand where most relocating people are figuratively coming from - not just seniors.

I agree that corporate America is losing in the long run by putting out to pasture the best mentors and homerun hitters that they could provide for their young lineup.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:24 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossvibe View Post
I totally agree with both posts. I saw yesterday that life expectancies have been lengthened here in the US. Yet we are writing off our older middle aged and seniors at astoundingly younger and younger ages. This will not bode well in the future in many respects.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
If anything, seniors generate jobs, pay property and sales taxes, buy necessary consumer goods; all without asking anything back except for a nice library, a yummy ice cream store and a safe neighborhood to live in.

I totally agree. Well said. I will be one of those seniors in less than 10 years.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
I totally agree. Well said. I will be one of those seniors in less than 10 years.
You will be most welcome in the club, jguillot. And boy, are we going to have quite a group by then!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:15 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,062 times
Thumbs up Keepin' it country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
I'll be retiring in Tennessee from out of state in 7 to 8 years, but I don't want to change a thing. One of the main reasons why I chose Tennessee is because I like the way things are in Tennessee. I love the people, the conservative values, the southern hospitality, the slower paced life, etc. I could go on and on. I will be one transplant that will try hard to keep things just the way they are. God Bless Tennessee!
Thank you jguillot, for that awesome post! I'm of the exact same mindset...I love places like Tennessee, Kentucky and W. Virginia for exactly what they are! I love how the folks are so gracious, friendly and faith-filled. And conservative—like me

I look forward to moving South someday, hopefully sooner than later. And the last thing I'd want is to find it all changed into an uptight, fast-paced, liberal Yankee he**-hole! I wanna get away all from that crap...

Keep the South Southern!

Anyway...God bless you jguillot, and best wishes as you look forward to retirement.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:17 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,062 times
Default Well said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The biggest thing about moving to an area like yours or ours is to leave your old life back where you came from (there was a reason you left) and assimilate into the place you chose to move to.
A-MEN!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee