Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 PM

67 posts, read 103,912 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in WV. My husband and I am considering a move to eastern TN soon. My husband will be transferring with his company, and I am a housewife. We've been researching for sometime now, and pretty much have have narrowed it down to the Tri-Cities area as well as Knoxville due to several factors. The lower cost of living (general/housing), lower crime than what we're accustomed to, the lay of the land, our love of TN as we vacation there several times a year, and the tendency of both of those areas to weather the recession better than other areas. That being said, I totally realize no place is perfect and isn't bullet proof. I would like to hear from residents from both as to which would you prefer, and why. I've been to both areas, but there isn't anything like getting first hand information from someone that lives in one or the other or better yet has lived in both. I've lived most of my life in WV, and lived several years ago in Columbus, OH for a short time. I can honestly say I should've thought that through as I liked to visit Columbus, OH; however, living there was whole other story. Not to offend anyone, but I personally found it lacking. It was way too large, and the folks seemed not to be overly friendly as they are in the south. It was the perception of no one cared for anyone but themselves. Don't get me wrong. I made some friends, and some were nice. You get that anywhere. The majority was not, and we were miserable. Anyway, I would appreciate everyone's input as we don't want to find out we've made a mistake again and end up moving again. This is our permanent move, and we plan on staying in TN until we die. Thanks so much for your help. We both appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:56 PM

199 posts, read 529,318 times
Just a little note here, don't expect people in East TN/SW VA to be that friendly. For the most part people in this area keep to themselves fairly well and could care less about your life, unless it provides good gossip to talk about in their church or work. So don't expect to come here and get some "southern hospitality" its pretty well non existant in this area.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
We first looked at the Tri-Cities before considering Chattanooga and Knoxville but the job opportunities were very low. Since he doesn't need a job I would suggest visiting both areas. Ultimately, I am glad we picked Knoxville but your tastes could be very different than mine and no one will be able to tell you what you need to see for yourself. Ultimately it comes down to intuition and feel. Whatever you do, I would suggest renting first.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:49 PM

610 posts, read 1,623,315 times
Both have great attributes...I have plenty of friends who were from the Tri Cities and attended UT with me, and several of them have settled in Knoxville. I would think would depend where your husband is actually working...they are about 1.5 hours drive apart, and I don't think he'll want to do that commute if you pick the opposite city.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:22 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicalMoodyDan View Post
Just a little note here, don't expect people in East TN/SW VA to be that friendly. For the most part people in this area keep to themselves fairly well and could care less about your life, unless it provides good gossip to talk about in their church or work. So don't expect to come here and get some "southern hospitality" its pretty well non existant in this area.
I'm not sure what the above quoted poster had happen to them, but as a transplant to Knoxville, I've found the complete opposite to be true.
I've been in Knoxville for 6 years now, and it may be a smaller city, but it feels very much like a overgrown town to me. I'm from a very small, isolated, rural town in upstate NY and Knoxville suits me just fine. The people are friendly. I've never gone anywhere in this city and not talked to strangers like we were old friends forever. The two places I have lived in Knoxville, I can't say enough good things about the neighbors I've had.They have been a mixed bag of natives and transplants. Again, my experience is different then the quoted poster, it all depends what one puts out there I guess.
My vote goes for Knoxville, I've never been to the Tri cities so cannot give an opinion of there.
All the best to you,
Pam

Old 11-30-2011, 03:55 PM

199 posts, read 529,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I'm not sure what the above quoted poster had happen to them, but as a transplant to Knoxville, I've found the complete opposite to be true.
I've been in Knoxville for 6 years now, and it may be a smaller city, but it feels very much like a overgrown town to me. I'm from a very small, isolated, rural town in upstate NY and Knoxville suits me just fine. The people are friendly. I've never gone anywhere in this city and not talked to strangers like we were old friends forever. The two places I have lived in Knoxville, I can't say enough good things about the neighbors I've had.They have been a mixed bag of natives and transplants. Again, my experience is different then the quoted poster, it all depends what one puts out there I guess.
My vote goes for Knoxville, I've never been to the Tri cities so cannot give an opinion of there.
All the best to you,
Pam
My post was about the Tri-Cities. I've been to Knoxville but can't speak enough about Knoxville to really give an opinion on it. I've lived in Kingsport, TN all my life and am pretty familar with how it is up here. I'd recommend Knoxville over the Tri-Cities as well.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:01 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
I moved to the tri-cities from Memphis and often visit my son who has been living in Knoxville for several years.
On a more practical level Knoxville has 'more'. More shopping, dining, entertainment options, a zoo, a nature center, more concerts, etc. It also has more traffic, crowding, and congestion than most of the tri-cities area. Not that it's bad compare to many other places, but IMO it has a busier vibe than most of the tri cities.
I love living in the tri-cities, it has pretty much everything I need, and if it's not to be had here, Knoxville and Asheville are not that far away. There are times that it can be mildly annoying to have to drive from Bristol to Kingsport or JC to find a particular store or restaurant, but OTOH it's a beautiful 20 minute drive to either city from here. The pace here is definitely slower and can take some getting used to, but I find I'm enjoying it. My other kid moved with me from Memphis and she finds it too slow for her tastes, lol.
I'm not sure about the 'southern hospitality' mentioned earlier either. People in this area typically come across as polite and casually friendly, very willing to be helpful in all manner of ways. I'm not much of a people person so I can't speak personally to how easy it is to make friends, but my daughter has not had any problems with making friends here, and I have a co worker who is also a recent transplant and he seems to have so many new friends they are coming out of his ears.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 PM

50 posts, read 122,979 times
We moved to the Tri-Cities from Michigan about a year ago and one of the major reasons we chose this area was the friendliness of the people. We have found that the people here are extremely kind and everyone has made us feel right at home.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:05 PM

67 posts, read 103,912 times
Thanks everybody so much for your input. I was quite surprised to see so many responses already when I came back on here! :-) As for people in eastern Tennessee not being overly friendly, I've not had that issue. If anything, we've had the exact opposite experiences and that is one of the things attracting us to those areas. The Tri-Cities tends to be more in line of the population we are used to, but I don't see Knoxville being so big that we would hate it. Going from Huntington, WV to Columbus, OH was entirely another story. It was way too big for us, and we hated it. As far as my husbands job, he is a retail manager with stores in both areas and everywhere in between so he can be a little picky as to which area he would prefer thankfully. We do initially intend on renting, but would like to buy ASAP. Neither one of us is the city or subdivision type. We like to be close enough to the city to have the amenities, but far enough to be able to have your space and peace and quiet. Either place would fit that bill as you can move outside the areas and find that. We have looked at job opportunities as one never knows with this economy anymore. Knoxville seems to edge out the Tri-Cities with that, but there are advantages to both it seems. Knoxville seems to have more of a crime issue than the Tri-Cities. From what I've seen, it also appears maybe Tri-Cities cost of living is a little lower. I've also noticed the wages are too. It's all things to think about, and that's why I was trying to get your perspectives. As for Tri-Cities tending to be slower, we aren't opposed to it and prefer it. Guess we're not too exciting. LOL We're no party animals or have to go out everyday of the week. As long as you have some things to do nearby like shopping, restaurants, parks, and etc. we're happy.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
SmokyMtnPeace you are spot on. Knoxville isn't really a party city. The downtown core is small and lovely. Lots of parks and family-friendly things to do. We actually live in the city limits but our immediate surroundings seems more like we are in a small town at the edge of the woods with a large yard near a good school. So it will come down to a visit to the areas to pick which one feels right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee