Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:27 PM

24 posts, read 123,186 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are originally from Ohio, moved to California in the 70's, moved back to Ohio. Now we're living in Florida and hating it. We also want to move to Tennessee. 1) what is the big urge to move to Tennessee for everyone and 2) how is Tennessee changing because of it? If so many of us move there what will the changes be? Comments

Old 02-24-2007, 08:17 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,854,049 times
Default $ 335 per YEAR - House Insurance, etc

After 12 years of central Fla, and my friends, even inland paying $4,500 to $6,500 per YEAR house insurance, my $335 on brand new house $130, K Custom brick one acre , hilltop 40 mile mtn views 3 sides , for starters is much lower than your South Fla CITIZENS insurance, now that Jeb is gone.??
I can kayak and SWIM in fresh watger, no alligators to eat female snorklers, like in the state parks, or shark attacks in knee deep water south of St Augistine, Ormond beach area. Hurricane power outages from FPL with their wooden pole technology. TVA electric here about $45 / month even warm air _condition months.
How about your Gang Crime stats,? for Ft Lauderdale, even wealthy neighborhoods, you were just on the 6:30 evening national news last week.?
Friendly people, oh yes, lower property taxes. $875/ year. What does South Fla pay now for Property Tax.???
Oh yes those daily fatal I-95 Cross-Over head on car Tractor - trailer accidents, with two hours grid lock in 90% humidity, while I'm on motorcycle picnic mtn ridge private lookout..Sorry it will be such a big change from your neighborhood. ... .........[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-24-2007, 10:21 PM

458 posts, read 1,266,097 times
Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiemom View Post
My husband and I are originally from Ohio, moved to California in the 70's, moved back to Ohio. Now we're living in Florida and hating it. We also want to move to Tennessee. 1) what is the big urge to move to Tennessee for everyone and 2) how is Tennessee changing because of it? If so many of us move there what will the changes be? Comments
I'm glad someone asked the question regarding the urge for people (especially from Ohio & Michigan) to move here. There are so many that my son and I have a car game where we see how far we can go without seeing a Michigan or Ohio tag or a car that has a dealer sticker from a dealer there. We don't usually get very far before our first sighting.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:26 PM

74 posts, read 234,036 times
Default The possibilities ?

I think the most obvious effects will be more road conjestion and if the local population is not a voting one, first local, and then state politics may begin to swing left. Thats basicaly whats happend here in upstate NY as most new homes in my particular rural area are sold to people that are normaly from city/ city suburbia locals. The other thing that seems to happen and you can't blame the locals for feeling a bit resentfull, is their property values begin to climb out of reach for their kids to buy property on what the area pays. Once we move to TN, I expect to feel somewhat unwelcome from time to time. Our bliss invariably will create a local back lash somewhere down the line. But this forum may be a bit misleading as far as TN interest is concerned. TN ranked 10th in the states with the fastest growing populations. Reading the posts here would make you think TN tops the list!

Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,700,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVIN-n-012 View Post
I think the most obvious effects will be more road conjestion and if the local population is not a voting one, first local, and then state politics may begin to swing left. Thats basicaly whats happend here in upstate NY as most new homes in my particular rural area are sold to people that are normaly from city/ city suburbia locals. The other thing that seems to happen and you can't blame the locals for feeling a bit resentfull, is their property values begin to climb out of reach for their kids to buy property on what the area pays. Once we move to TN, I expect to feel somewhat unwelcome from time to time. Our bliss invariably will create a local back lash somewhere down the line. But this forum may be a bit misleading as far as TN interest is concerned. TN ranked 10th in the states with the fastest growing populations. Reading the posts here would make you think TN tops the list!
I'm not surprised that Tennessee is ranked only 10th in growth (even though that's pretty good considering Tennessee is ranked 17th in population).

For starters, most of the people who post here seem to be individual retirees moving to Tennessee, not big corporations with hundreds of employees.

Plus, you'll notice that there are only a few select areas of Tennessee that are mentioned in this forum. You hardly hear of anyone moving to West Tennessee (for good reason, in my opinion).

As for what this will do to Tennessee's political climate, I think it will merely intensify Tennessee's conservative base. For the most part, the people who are talking about moving to Tennessee seem to be those who are in favor of lower taxes and smaller government.

But back to the population growth or the lack thereof. Census figures show that Tennessee grew about 5.5% between 2000-2005. Census figures show that even some of the popular areas discussed in this forum really aren't growing that fast. For example:

Sullivan County (Kingsport, Blountville, Bristol) has lost population between 2000-2005 (153,048 to 152,716).

Hamilton County (Chattanooga, Ooltewah, Soddy-Daisy) is experiencing very slow growth, going from 307,896 to 310,935, or less than 1% growth.

By contrast, some of the fast-growing areas of Tennessee, with their growth rate in parentheses ("fast-growing" being defined as areas that are growing faster than the state and national averages):

*Blount County (Maryville, Alcoa) went from 105,823 to 115,535 (9.2%).
*Coffee County (Manchester, Tullahoma) went from 48,014 to 50,869 (5.9%).
*Cumberland County (Crossville, Fairfield Glade, Lake Tansi) went from 46,802 to 51,346 (9.7%).
*Jefferson County (Dandridge, Jefferson City) went from 44,294 to 48,394 (9.3%)
*Knox County (Knoxville) went from 382,032 to 404,972 (6%).
*Loudon County (Loudon, Lenoir City) went from 39,086 to 43,387 (11%).
*Putnam County (Cookeville) went from 62,315 to 66,580 (6.8%).
*Rutherford County (Murfreesboro, Smyrna) went from 182,023 to 218,292 (19.9%).
*Sevier County (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville) went from 71,170 to 79,282 (11.4%).
*Sumner County (Hendersonville, Gallatin) went from 130,449 to 145,009 (11.2%).
*Williamson County (Franklin, Brentwood) went from 126,638 to 153,595 (21.2%).
*Wilson County (Mount Juliet, Lebanon) went from 88,809 to 100,508 (13.2%).

Other areas mentioned in this forum are experiencing growth, but slower growth than the state average:

*Anderson County (Oak Ridge, Norris, Clinton) went from 71,330 to 72,430 (1.5%).
*Bradley County (Cleveland) went from 87,965 to 92,092 (4.5%).
*Carter County (Elizabethton) went from 56,742 to 58,865 (3.7%).
*Greene County (Greeneville) went from 62,909 to 65,318 (3.8%).
*Hamblen County (Morristown) went from 58,128 to 59,898 (3%).
*Hawkins County (Rogersville) went from 53,563 to 56,196 (4.9%)
*Roane County (Harriman, Kingston, Rockwood) went from 51,910 to 52,889 (1.2%)
*Washington County (Johnson City, Jonesborough) went from 107,198 to 112,507 (4.9%).

As you can see, the Nashville area is booming, and the Knoxville area is growing at a quick pace, too. The Tri Cities isn't growing very fast comparatively speaking. Apart from a few pockets of areas growing faster than the national average (Cookeville, Crossville, Sevier County) Tennessee's growth is fairly average and definitely manageable.

Last edited by JMT; 02-25-2007 at 09:13 AM..

Old 02-25-2007, 11:18 AM

37,730 posts, read 40,772,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Plus, you'll notice that there are only a few select areas of Tennessee that are mentioned in this forum. You hardly hear of anyone moving to West Tennessee (for good reason, in my opinion)..
I think that has a lot to do with the stinkin' sub-forums (posts out of sight, out of mind). I hate the sub forums. Memphis has been "up there" for a long time so we never hear about that area, down here.

Now Knoxville is UP THERE, too.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:15 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,700,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think that has a lot to do with the stinkin' sub-forums (posts out of sight, out of mind). I hate the sub forums. Memphis has been "up there" for a long time so we never hear about that area, down here.

Now Knoxville is UP THERE, too.
Yeah that's true, and I thought about that. However, since I used to live in both Memphis and Nashville I check out those subforums, and believe me, there are precious few people in the Memphis forum who are moving there because they really want to. Most of the posts seem to be from people whose jobs are requiring them to move to Memphis, and they are scared to death of the crime and lousy schools that await them. And you hardly see any posts from people moving elsewhere in West Tennessee.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:27 PM

37,730 posts, read 40,772,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiemom View Post
how is Tennessee changing because of it? If so many of us move there what will the changes be? Comments
I'm thinking of taking a vacation in Florida next year wearing a tee shirt that says "OAK RIDGE - HOME OF NUKES!" Every once and awhile I'll twitch for the desired effect.

I say we keep talking about snakes, spiders, coyotes, bats...have to think about some previous threads...tornadoes, earthquakes, icy curvy mountain roads, traffic, air quality in Knoxville, not enough sunny days...still thinking...people who invite you to church against your will and/or people that are tooooo nice so you suspect ulterior motives, people who socialize with their church meaning you are left out, "stupid" dry counties, corporal punishment in schools, jailing bad parents with absentee kids, schools that don't take your parental "helpful suggestions"...no gun control, smoking all over the place so you might have to take your business elsewhere, watermelon seed spitting contests, square/buck dancing, rampant Yankee baiting/teasing/ignoring even though you're so wonderful/smarter/tolerant than them, predominantly Republican registered East Tennessee, hunting, no Meagers or whatever the name of that store was that started with an M...still thinking...I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE'S A TAX ON FOOD! even though I don't pay state income tax, some places with no broadband, "good old boys" only get hired and they passed up my sterling "I'm a highly educated professional" 20 different jobs resume to hire a guy who has lived here all of his life, not enough high-end retail stores, lower wage jobs, polite men that treat you like a lady and you don't know how to handle that, non diet conscious people who offend your eyesight, people with missing teeth that offend your eyesight, people with southern accents that offend your ears, men who sit in pick up trucks and, you know, sit there, too many country music stations...and HORRORS, poor people that have lived there all the years of their life who might be living in the general vicinity of where you want to build a house.

Have I missed anything?

Old 02-25-2007, 01:00 PM

24 posts, read 103,199 times
Default Last one in Michigan turn off the lights!

The main reason people are leaving Michigan to places such as Tenn and points south is the weather ,taxes,better quility of life, and the grip the labor unions have on Mich. Thats why Toyota,and Honda are building all there plants in the south. Michigan's union reputation will forever haunt them.
Tenn is maybe my next move.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:06 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,942,655 times
Default I'm likely to move to TN because...

tsimmu - I for one am moving out of Michigan because the state is going to hell in a handbasket and a crappy governor was just re-elected that is going to raise our taxes even more.

My first choice to move would be coastal GA, but my daughter, sil and new grandson are in TN (she's stationed at Ft. Campbell) so for the time being, I'm seriously considering TN. vbmenu_register("postmenu_400419", true);
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee